Quantcast
STC-8 Owners / Users...Q? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
STC-8 Owners / Users...Q?
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
STC-8 Owners / Users...Question for you

I'm on the verge of picking one of these babys up. I want something more than a one-trick pony, that will serve duties for PTHD mix buss, as well as some uses on bass, vocals, grand piano, etc.

Having read every thread here I can find on the subject, I know there are many raving fans, at least as of last year! I also know it is an in-depth unit and as one person put it, you need to spend an hour in front of it with the manual before the client shows up. I intend to spend a week with it

That said, I'd love to hear some feedback from users and owners regarding their:

1. Common Mix buss settings / uses
2. Bass tracking / compressing
3. Vocal settings (I know there is "A", etc)
4. In-House mastering (not normally done but occasionally when no client budget)

Anything else useful you can share with me before I hand over my credit card on Monday....ouch!
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: STC-8 Owners / Users...Question for you

Quote:
Originally posted by jho

Anything else useful you can share with me before I hand over my credit card on Monday....ouch!
Yeah rent it and check out for yourself.

That's the only way you will know its right for you.

One man's treasure is another man's pain.

I think its a good unit, but for what you want you may want to check some others also.
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Renting

You might have to rent it for awhile. When I bought my STC-8 it took me sometime before I really started to 'get it.' I know this sounds wierd but trust me, this is not your average compressor/limiter.

All that being said, amazing unit, couldn't word without it.

Thadd La Rue
BlackCat Studios
Stockton, CA
Old 11th May 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
The only rule I seem to have for using the STC-8 seems to be about the position of the "KI/HARA" switch... if the release I'm using is 'before noon' on the release knob, then that switch goes to the left... if it's 'after noon', then that switch goes to the right.

After that it's all about listening/tailoring the unit to the tone... which is actually a hell of a lot easier than it looks.

Best of luck with it.
Old 13th May 2003
Founder

V good for tracking acc gtr IMHO.

Thats one area where compression can really ruin a recording..
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just came in UPS....can't wait to crack it open!! heh heh

PT Users with STC-8, are you hard wiring to ins/outs of your I/O and using as an insert, or are you putting on the bay? My concern there is I want as direct/clean connection as possible for the 2 buss...

Any more tips send em, slutz!
Old 13th May 2003
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
It's a hard box to make sound bad. Here's some general thoughts...

I like medium attack times and rather fast release times on it for buss use, in general. Varies, of course, but those are good starting points.

The shape control can actually help control high end energy - wide open (10), it leaves it alone, but as you pull it downward it can soften the highs without having to kick it into KI mode.

The limiter is a separate circuit that is post gain control, so you can use the limiter to prevent overs by cranking the output gain and pulling the limiter threshold back until you stop getting overs. Now you have a limiter to protect your level to the ADC - you can maximize your make-up gain without fear of clipping.

There is a way to lower the sidechain threshold by about 10 db. If your unit didn't come with one (I don't know if they ship them with them or not), contact Crane Song. It's as simple as plugging in a DB25 plug on the back of the unit and it maximizes the use of the threshold.

Hope this helps...
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
It's a hard box to make sound bad. Here's some general thoughts...

I like medium attack times and rather fast release times on it for buss use, in general. Varies, of course, but those are good starting points.

The shape control can actually help control high end energy - wide open (10), it leaves it alone, but as you pull it downward it can soften the highs without having to kick it into KI mode.

The limiter is a separate circuit that is post gain control, so you can use the limiter to prevent overs by cranking the output gain and pulling the limiter threshold back until you stop getting overs. Now you have a limiter to protect your level to the ADC - you can maximize your make-up gain without fear of clipping.

There is a way to lower the sidechain threshold by about 10 db. If your unit didn't come with one (I don't know if they ship them with them or not), contact Crane Song. It's as simple as plugging in a DB25 plug on the back of the unit and it maximizes the use of the threshold.

Hope this helps...
Brad,

Thanks again! This helps alot. Thanks too, Jules, Fletch...

time to go find the box knife!!!
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
Just came in UPS....can't wait to crack it open!! heh heh

PT Users with STC-8, are you hard wiring to ins/outs of your I/O and using as an insert, or are you putting on the bay? My concern there is I want as direct/clean connection as possible for the 2 buss...

Any more tips send em, slutz!
Put it on the bay. I use mine as much, if not more, for tracking. In fact, I run most everything through it.

-R
Old 4th April 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
bump
Old 4th April 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
the a-mod function is magic....enables really musical use of slower attack times with complex program material as it enages an intelligent program dependent control of times and interaction with the limiter!! rocking piece of kit!
πŸ“ Reply