Quantcast
UA 6176 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA 6176
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
UA 6176

Has anyone used one of these? If so, is it really killing 2 birds (610 preamp and 1176 Lim) with 1 stone ($$$!). The price of the 6176 is about $1800 while an 1176 alone is $1500 or so. I'll pay the extra for the preamp too. Should I kill the 2 birds with my 1 stone or save up and throw 2 stones at 2 birds?
Old 9th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Yeah, it is. There are some differenes (UA claims that the 1176 in the 6176 is more like a later revision than the D/E that the stand alone 1176 is modeled on, but it still sounds like an 1176, I personally like the fast that it has a hard bypass feature as well as the compressor bypass, which the stand alones didn't have.

I thought that the 6176 was a bit more expensive than $1800, though.
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The unit is on eBay for $1799 buy it now new in box.
Old 9th May 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Throw that stone now... this is a great unit. I think the pre has a slightly simplified filter section compared to the full-on stereo 2610 but the basic character is very sweet. Considering you're getting an 1176 thrown in at that price, what's not to like? I want one myself...
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
can you patch in and use the 1176 circuitry with a different preamp or line signal, or are you stuck only being able to use the compressor with the built-in pre?
Old 10th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
can you patch in and use the 1176 circuitry with a different preamp or line signal, or are you stuck only being able to use the compressor with the built-in pre?
That's one of the things I like most - there's a line out on the pre side, and a line in on the compressor side. You can hook it into the patch bay as two separate units, and use them together or separately at will (there's a switch on the front panel).
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: UA 6176

Quote:
Originally posted by drummerman15
Has anyone used one of these? If so, is it really killing 2 birds (610 preamp and 1176 Lim) with 1 stone ($$$!). The price of the 6176 is about $1800 while an 1176 alone is $1500 or so. I'll pay the extra for the preamp too. Should I kill the 2 birds with my 1 stone or save up and throw 2 stones at 2 birds?
OK so:
2-610=$1600
1176=$1500

1 channel of 2-610=$800

$800+$1500=$2300 of circuit

6176=$1800

WTF???? Something's being cheapified obviously. That's a $500 price difference!!! UA has to be skimping somewhere. I wouldn't buy it just because UA's hiding a comprimised circuit in one of the involved boxes.

Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Faeflora,

that sounds like a big assumption to me. I am in the process of buying an 8 ch Millenia HV-3d which lists for $4,000 but the 4 ch lists for $3,000. Wait a minute - obviously those extra 4 chs are cheapo mackie pres, flawed, useless etc.

I don't manufacture equipment but I assume there are economies in packaging two units in one box such as share PSU, shared casing etc. Maybe I'm outa whack,

cheers,
Ruairi
Old 10th May 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruairi
Faeflora,

that sounds like a big assumption to me. I am in the process of buying an 8 ch Millenia HV-3d which lists for $4,000 but the 4 ch lists for $3,000. Wait a minute - obviously those extra 4 chs are cheapo mackie pres, flawed, useless etc.

I don't manufacture equipment but I assume there are economies in packaging two units in one box such as share PSU, shared casing etc. Maybe I'm outa whack,

cheers,
Ruairi
I think that's spot on... one case, one PSU, less manufacturing labour, half the packaging and shipping costs... sounds about right to me. Anyway, listen to the thing... it's luverly!
Old 10th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: UA 6176

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora

UA has to be skimping somewhere. I wouldn't buy it just because UA's hiding a comprimised circuit in one of the involved boxes.
I know that you'd work it out soon on your own, but think about this:
1 two space rack in the 6176 versus 2 two space racks in the separates- a lot of metalwork saved.
1 Power Supply in the 6176 versus 2.
smaller VU meter in the 6176 (some more savings)
Some component savings (a rotary switch instead of teh 4 buttons on each side of the VU meter.

I'm making this up, of course, but you get the idea.
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: UA 6176

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
I know that you'd work it out soon on your own, but think about this:
1 two space rack in the 6176 versus 2 two space racks in the separates- a lot of metalwork saved.
1 Power Supply in the 6176 versus 2.
smaller VU meter in the 6176 (some more savings)
Some component savings (a rotary switch instead of teh 4 buttons on each side of the VU meter.

I'm making this up, of course, but you get the idea.

Bah!

Metalwork + PS + VU + Rotary switch does not equal $500! For a company with the manuafacturing power of UA (they sell to guitar center so obviously they are capable of generating volume), those cheapo items probably cost them about $100 max!.

Also, UA is not Millenia! I had a 2-610 (sounded good to me) but it had the cheapest build quality of anything in my racks! The front panel would flex like a stiff metal ruler if i pulled at it with my finger!

Basically, the 1676 is obsoleting the 1176. I mean, why buy and 1176 when you can get a pre too, for a few hundred more? If this pre is only a few hundred more in the 1676, then why does it sell for $800 per CHANNEL on it's own???? Something's overpriced! Oh wait, all UA stuff is. Silly me.
Old 10th May 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Re: Re: UA 6176

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Basically, the 1676 is obsoleting the 1176. I mean, why buy and 1176 when you can get a pre too, for a few hundred more? If this pre is only a few hundred more in the 1676, then why does it sell for $800 per CHANNEL on it's own???? Something's overpriced! Oh wait, all UA stuff is. Silly me.
Jeez... these guys have obviously pissed you off somehow!? A great tracking channel for under $2000 - I'm just grateful. If they charged $1000 more would you be happier? As for bendy build quality... have a look at the Chandler TG1 ($4000) - but it sounds great. I wouldn't normally get into defending a unit like this, but it's such a cool box at a good price I have to admit to having a big soft spot for it (don't tell the Mrs...)
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why is it that we generally piss and moan that there are not enough companies that make american products, and when manufacturers decide that they will put up with the expense of doing business here, the taxes, comp, benefits, wages, we then bitch at them that thier stuff costs too much?

Sorry i find this odd, sure I would love it if I could get a 610 pre for 200, but really, that is not gonna happen. I would feel better if mopre of our designers felt that they could stay here and make a living.

Note, I am not overly nationalistic, this is not a "America is superior" post, bust for petes sake, lets realize that the only way that Quality built hardware will continue to exist ( wherever it is made) is if we support it and buy the products.
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey I don't have a problem with UA. Except that thier DSP card is a POS but so is most software IMO so I don't dislike them for that more than other companies.

I'm just saying that SOMEHOW IT'S -----MUCH----- CHEAPER FOR THEM TO BUILD A 6176 THAN IT IS TO BUILD A 1176 AND A 1-610 AND I WONDER WHY.

Anyways this really doesn't matter. I guess I decided to write about it though because I smell corporate cost cutting covered up by attractive product marketing. Plus it's sold at Guitar Center therefore something bad is going on somewhere.

If this irks you then just consider my posts to be trolling, go buy yourself a 6176, make good recordings of good music, and be happy.
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dude, there's more to pricing than just mfg cost + overhead. A large firm like UA looks at the market, and what the expected volume is, and prices it accordingly. If they expect to sell more 6176's than their component cousins then they can price it more competitively.
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Another benefit I can see in the 6176 is its size. If you bought a mono 610 and an 1176 you'd have four rack spaces. If you bought a 2610 and two 1176 it would be six rack spaces. If you bought two of these units you'd have four rack spaces for the same uses.
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All this guff because a few of you think your being cheated in the quality on the 6176? Just because some dick wad on ebay, who is unlikely even a UA authorized dealer, claims he has new unit in the box for $1800 or whatever his price was, doesn't mean that the price is now set for other UA authorized stores or sources on selling a new 6176. Has it occured to anyone that by having a new layout and even componets as well as easier assembly for the 1176 section is likley a cost saving vs the old school way the 1176 unit has to be made to be true to the original costing more in total parts, requiring more hand labor and less automation, taking longer to build thus having a higher manufacturing cost.

If UA had made the 1176 not a true reissue, and using the 1176 section of the 6176 for even cheaper than the current 1176, then you'd likely moan and bitch that is wasn't exacly the same and how lame they were to mess with the original... Me, I hoping to see a dual channel 1176 in one unit at the next tradeshow, the 2176?
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Fae, would you care to elaborate on how/why the UA DSP card sucks? I was thinking of picking one of these up...
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have no problem with UAD... using it Nuendo for one year with results superior to Waves etc.
Old 11th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by AudioGaff

Me, I hoping to see a dual channel 1176 in one unit at the next tradeshow, the 2176?
I betcha one's coming up - and I bet that if they use the old layout, they'll call it an 1178.

The number would probably be different if the keep the 1176 layout used in the 6176, but I don't know how the folks at UA come up with numbers for new designs.

I have no advanced knowledge - I'm just guessing...
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Heterodox
Fae, would you care to elaborate on how/why the UA DSP card sucks? I was thinking of picking one of these up...
My friend has one and it's a absolute PITA for him. For more info about this see Bombguy's huge ranting threads about UA at recpit.prosoundweb.com in Mixerman's forum and Fletcher's forum.
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Lowest MAP on the 6176 in the US that I have seen is $2195.
Best price I could eek out at GC was $1995 plus CA tax, and that was with a friend in the building!

The ebay price is good, but most likely no warranty on the unit...

So far, the unit sounds fantastic. The 610B pre is actually improved over the 2-610 and M610 -- as it has a much needed 15db input pad. Lot's of options with the input impedence selection, EQ, and the ability to drive the 1176 section straight from the pre at different levels -- plus the functionality of the compressor. I like versatility!

David
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Crock of ****

FaeFlora said
Quote:
My friend has one and it's a absolute PITA for him. For more info about this see Bombguy's huge ranting threads about UA at recpit.prosoundweb.com in Mixerman's forum and Fletcher's forum.
Dude...I cannot believe that you are trashing a piece of Kit that you have never used.

It's hard enough to rate and review something you HAVE used, and when you combine that with the fact that everyone's experience is different and perceptions are unique...well, let's just say you should take every review and opinion with a grain of salt.

NOW you're gonna slam the UA DSP card and you've never even used it....as Nell Carter would croak from her grave "Gimme a Break"

BTW...Bombguy has been warned about slamming other manufacturers products on a few forums. Let's see...should I listen to a user's opinion or follow the advice of the maker of a competitive product...hmmm

Everyone else sorry about the rant, but crap like this really pisses me off, and I haven't had my morning coffee.

Love Peace and Hair Grease,

Buddhaman
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
UA 6176=gear that's good enough -------> FOR ME TO POOP ON

UA Powered Plugs=gear that's good enough -------> FOR ME TO POOP ON
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Wow! What do you do to the gear that isn't good enough?
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Xestenz
Wow! What do you do to the gear that isn't good enough?
I sell it.

BTW I can refer you to a good authorised UA discount dealer. Send me a PM if you want info.
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I picked a 6176 and it IS FANTASTIC! The pre is smooth and beautiful and the 1176 has "that SOUND". I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, but I can tell you that I'm very happy with mine. BTW, I paid $1871 from Manny's in New York, having found that price at an online retailer and sending them the link.
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I dont care what anybody says the 610 is a great
pre.you have to work with it for a while-gian/level
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
"BTW, I paid $1871 from Manny's in New York, having found that price at an online retailer and sending them the link"

Ray DSR -- Any chance you could e-mail me that link?
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unfortunately, they've upped the price since, but PAD in Boston had it listed for $1871 for a few days.

They're a great place to shop anyhow.

Here's the link

http://www.proaudiodesign.com/search...entID=ProAudio
πŸ“ Reply