Quantcast
How high can you hear? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How high can you hear?
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How high can you hear?

Had a chance to play with the oscillator (actually I listened while another guy twiddled the knobs- say when!).

I'm a spring chicken, only 33, but despite all that electric guitar I can hear 17300 cycles. After that I can feel the presence of something, but my ears get nada.

Y'all?
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
15k - early 40's

When I been drinkin, about half that ....... tutt

But I'm always able to sense events occurring much higher than that. Who knows, maybe through bone conduction.

How LOW can you go?

Does anyone else ever get sick of the constant LF moan of jetliners in our atmosphere? I know it's this, because on 9-11 it went away for a few days (Planes were all grounded). In the studio and everywhere, it was SO quiet during those days. My hearing felt better than it ever had, like a weight had been lifted. Too bad it was under such sad circumstances.

Ya'll must think I'm a nut
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wonder how low I can actually hear... the transition from hearing to feeling is so smooth down there, it's hard to know. Certainly well below 30 hz. I'm partial to subsonics, a 32" calfskin kick is my idea of a good time!

I live somewhere extremely rural and surrounded my mountains, and I'm off the grid with no 'fridge so when the lights go out, there's no ambient noise floor. Some nights I lay awake marveling at the incredibly low throbbing sounds I hear- I'm sure they're quite distant, I wonder if it's just the interstate 30 miles away or what. Maybe it is the planes.
Old 8th May 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
1kHz isn't usually a problem for me to hear.

Old 8th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
18k on a good day
17k always

Don't you hate it when somewhen leaves the television on with out the satellite box on (black screen) and you hear that very high pitched (like 15k - 17k) sound. It drives me batty.

Beez
Old 8th May 2003
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Yellow.

hehe

Seriously, these figures are pretty meaningless without a reference level. I'll bet most could 'hear' 20k at 120db...
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
One ear about 16-18khz, the other due to unfriendly wax build up is the equivalent to having an index finger permantly in place, which means that ears at about 500hz.

Impossible to work at the mo, just hope it goes.
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
WHAT ?????
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
20-20khz. 20khz isn't so much hearing though. Rather it's moreso the physical sensation of being "touched" by the hypersonic pulses tearing through my skull. Damn it's high though and I can say that NOBODY should be boosting at 20khz unless they're trying to weaken the psyche and immune system of their enemies.

I'm 23 in earth solar years. My ears also RING for the rest of the day if I'm around anything that's appreciably loud including computer rooms, guitar amps, driving in a car, yelling etc.
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
danny k - if im lucky
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Cape
One ear about 16-18khz, the other due to unfriendly wax build up is the equivalent to having an index finger permantly in place, which means that ears at about 500hz.

Impossible to work at the mo, just hope it goes.
Wow Cape, I sure hope it clears up for you!

A relative of mine had that same problem, only in both ears to some degree, and he went and had the wax removed (wasn't too big a deal, either). Before that, he would have the TV or music up so loud it was uncomfortable for the rest of us. Now, none of us have hearing as sensitive as his, and he's constantly telling everyone to turn it down. Says it changed his life. He's 80!
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
danny k - if im lucky
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
True Tales of top end :

When they gave me that hearing test in grade school, I actually created a stir in the nurses office because I could hear much higher tones than any other children. They didn't tell me how high (I wouldn't have undrestood anyway) but they told my mother that it was "unnaturaly" high. I got teased al ot about having dog ears.

In my home town, there were two establishments, a drug store and a local art gallery, that I could not go into because they used some sort of sonar alarm system or something that filled the rooms with a painfully peircing tone. Noone else seemed to hear it.

I couldn't make all this up.

Now, there's no doubt that the top of my hearing range has been battered into submission by 16 years of DRUMMERS, and possibly my guitar and one especially high and loud harmonica note from the rig of John Popper (I was running in front of his silent Marshall stack to get across stage after we opened, when he steped on some pedal and turned the damn thing on emiting a sound so loud, so high and so close to my head it litterally almost knocked me out and left me dazed and nausious for hours.

Now I've got to find an oscilator and see, um hear, where it is now.
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just went to my audiologist to get fitted for new ear plugs. He tested me against a baseling curve from when I started seeing him when I was 19. Ive lost about 2 dB at 18kHz which is as high as he tests. He was pretty amazed that a guy who runs 100 big loud shows a year and sees 100 more in the audience has lost so little on the top. Im glad I started seeing him at 19 and religiously wear my hearing protection even when in the studio tracking.

Frost
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
wax?!

Hmm, if one ear can't hear the highs as good as the other, it might be wax? I'm going to have to check this out. I thought I was permanently screwed.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cape...

Sorry to hear you have problems...

I had understood that putting a couple of drops of olive oil into your ear daily will cause the wax to break down and gradually come out. Either that or get the doctor to syringe it.

J
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the concern, it's been about a week with this problem and am really thinking about going to the doc.

It is impossible to mix, track or do anything, ahhhhhh!!!.

Typical that when all of a sudden you've got loads on, your main tool breaks down.

Kinda looking forward to a syringing though, as I'll be able to post back here saying I can hear 20k+ , that or I'll post back and say the doc's accidently sucked out my ear drum.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I get those wax problems too. nothing at the moment, thank god.

You can get a little bulb at the pharmacy that you can fill with warm water to irrigate your ear. No chance of hurting anything that way. That can break up the wax after a while and flush it out of your ear.
They make chemicals to break up the wax, and while I've used them before, at this point I can't imagine putting anything like that into my ear.

Whatever you do don't be packing the wax in there with Qtips.

It's always a tremendous relief to find I'm not nearly as deaf as I thought! Strange what the sudden change to hearing again does to the sense of proximity- I leap out of the way of cars that are still a block away.

Brad sez: "Seriously, these figures are pretty meaningless without a reference level. I'll bet most could 'hear' 20k at 120db..."

I'm thinking my little experiment went down in the 80's of dBs. Is there a standard reference level for this kind of thing? I bet I could feel some pretty screamin' high things at 120dB, not that I would care too!!!

Scary story about the high squeal out of John Popper's rig!

Reminds me again, I need to get some trick earplugs for other people's soundchecks! I'd like to be able to survive all that live sound without hearing damage, my ears are rather sensitive and prone to tinnitus...
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
debrox solution for earwax

I can't believe I saw this thead.I've had the earwax problem a couple of times.I got stopped up earlier this week from earplugs shoving the wax deep into my ear.I haven't been able to get it out yet but in the past I got this little bottle of stuff from the pharmacy called DEBROX that worked.It's got some small solution of a type of peroxide that breaks up the wax by the oxygen making bubbles.You just put maybe 5 or 6 drops in and lay on your side so it goes down all the way.I ended up using one of those round dropper things to gently flush out the wax after it was loosened.Unfortunately, it hasn't worked this time yet but in the past it worked like a charm.When you get that wax out it's like a whole new world opens up !
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds familiar. I had a road gig in Boca Raton a couple of years back and woke up one morning completely deaf in one ear! Turns out a whole afternoon in the pool had loosened the ear wax in my left ear, which then recongealed into a solid plug overnight. I went and got one of those off-the-shelf rubber squeezie-bulb plus chemical solution kits from the pharmacy. In about 15 minutes I was good as new. But pretty scared there for a while!!!
Old 10th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My lady is back from Italy today.....She knows the doc better than me.......she's a woman!! Gee I never see the doc normaly I just wait and it goes (or it grows!!).

This time I'm making sure she's taking me down the road to doc'sville on Monday, I need this **** dealt with.

The reason I wouldn't normally do this procedure is due to stories saying once ya have it sucked out, it builds up even bigger time. So far on stuff I've looked at this ain't a likely hood.

Sorry to hijack thread about higher hearing, but the **** in your ear is a major factor.

Don't poke bud ya ear, it causes evil compression.
Old 10th May 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I thought I was losing some high-end on my hearing for about a year. I'd been using Q-Tips after I got out of the bath. I met someone who was an ENT and he said to never use Q-Tips in your ears. I stopped using them, and just wiped the water out with a Kleenex. My hearing magically came back!

I'd been shoving wax down my ears with the Q-Tip.

Just had a hearing test at the Audiologist. Tested through all the frequencies with flying colors. At 41, that's good news.

I've been pretty careful with my hearing, and though I've worked in studios - I stayed away from too much loud playing live.

I had a conversation with Rupert Neve a few years ago. He said, "As sentient beings, we can perceive up to 200K."
Old 10th May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Never mind how high we all can hear, have you ever run into someone who is *missing* a certain frequency section in their hearing?

For example - A close associate of mine is quite aware he's got problems around 9k. Of course you could always chalk it up to a "taste issue" !!!
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dot
...I had a conversation with Rupert Neve a few years ago. He said, "As sentient beings, we can perceive up to 200K."
I've had that same conversation with him, and I believe it. Rupert has some great stories to tell that proves this very thing. Like the AE (who, like most of us, probably couldn't really hear past 18k or so, if that) perceiving that something was wrong with some channels in a Neve desk he was working on. They finally put the scope to it and found a small dip or something on those channels in the 50k+ region. According to Rupert, just those couple of dB was affecting the way the engineer perceived the whole emotional aspect of those music tracks! I wish I remember who "golden ears" was- I thought he said it was at Air studios London, but I may have that wrong...

Makes you think, those of us who use digital (especially 44.1k, 48k, how much of that "emotion" we miss because it's truncated off. Or maybe it's a good thing, because we can't have any problems up there either...hmm.
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
Yellow.

hehe

Seriously, these figures are pretty meaningless without a reference level. I'll bet most could 'hear' 20k at 120db...
I find it very hard not to agree with Mr. Blackwood...

Kind regards

Peter
Old 12th May 2003
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Killahurts
Like the AE (who, like most of us, probably couldn't really hear past 18k or so, if that) perceiving that something was wrong with some channels in a Neve desk he was working on. They finally put the scope to it and found a small dip or something on those channels in the 50k+ region.
FWIW, Geoff Tanner has explained how the unterminated transformer from this example actually caused ringing down into the 10-20kHz range.

Quote:
Makes you think, those of us who use digital (especially 44.1k, 48k, how much of that "emotion" we miss because it's truncated off. Or maybe it's a good thing, because we can't have any problems up there either...hmm.
I dunno. Try to find an analog tape deck with anything much beyond 30kHz or so....
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AIR

If you're having trouble with top-end in one ear, it may not be wax. I have had a problem for years, initially I thought wax. A visit to London's Throat/Nose/Ear hospital (with the use of in-ear sonar, all kinds of serious test-gear, I can say it's the only hospital visit I nearly enjoyed) proved that one of the tubes in my right ear is slightly larger than the left. What this means is the higher-frequencies were having trouble getting to the receptors because of mucous build-up, the larger-tube does not "pop" as easily as the smaller, making colds/flu a real concern as I couldn't work for up to 2/3 weeks. I quit smoking and voila, less mucous to build-up, my perception of "air" is infinitely better (even though I'm a grumpy git for quitting smokes). They showed me freq-plots for both ears as well, put my mind at rest.

BTW In the mid-'70s Rupert Neve tested Geoff Emerick's hearing. He claimed Emerick could perceive 54K.......Is it cynical to presume that these stats were "manipulated" as Neve was trying to sell his 100K 8000 consoles at the time? FM2C I believe that extended-response is a good thing, I suspect that information is coloured in the audible ranges if high-freqs are removed, due to intermodulation....
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kind of off topic but if this works for u send me a xmas card!
I too have suffered from ear wax buildup.....UNTIL, My wife got me to try "homeopathic ear candles" Yup, ya stick um in your ear canal and LIGHT EM ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!! Capillary action pulls the wax into the cone shaped candle.
The best part is cutting the end apart when your done, You won't BELIEVE what comes out of your head!!!!!!!! WAY better that blasting it out w/water after the hydrogen peroxide bubble, Plus no soggy feeling!
πŸ“ Reply