The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone using VP-25 or 26 from Classic API
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Anyone using VP-25 or 26 from Classic API

Comments on the Classic Audio Product of Illinois VP-25 or the VP-26.

Looking for the API sound for drums and Elec GTR.

Read the threads that these are easy to build but no one has mentioned how they compare to the real deal sound wise.

Your comments are more the welcome.

Thanks!
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Calling Pan60!

Come on someone out there has to have experience with these pres.
Old 13th September 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
got a VP26 in we are running through the paces: )~
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I built a Access 312 with transfo from classic API (2503 for output) and the gar2520 ---> amazing! thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a couple of the VP pres and think they sound very much like the API pres in my 2488 console. The pres were factory-built and the quality is exceptional.

Check them out of you're looking for an API style pre. You won't be disappointed.

Mark
Old 14th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like my VP26's. The hard part is deciding between op amps. The built in attenuator is a great feature, however, if I build another, it will have a DI instead. The nice thing is that there are provisions for all kinds of configurations.
Old 14th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
bought three

Well I pulled the trigger and bought three of the VP25's.

So far I am very impressed with the company and the good communication.

I'll post my thoughts when I have assembled them.
Old 10th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Bumping up this thread. I really want to know what the ClassicAPI VP25 and VP26 sound like from someone who has used them.

Thanks,

Rappy
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Me too. I was thinking of getting 2-4 of these to assemble this winter.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Been using one here
fantastic old school API sounding preamp
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
Been using one here
fantastic old school API sounding preamp
ditto!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
ditto!
+1 more the funny thing is now I kind of miss that new API sound once in a while!
I guess at some point I'm going to have to Grab a 512! Well after my Group DIY rack gets here!

If you can solder the kit is a steal and at $420 each I'll call the assembled one the Bargain of the year!

So who built it and who bought the assembled?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the replies. For those who responded, would you mind saying whether you have the VP25 or VP26, or both, and what you like using them for? I am probably going to buy a pair of one or the other. Leaning towards the VP26, but not sure.

Thanks again,

Rappy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
26s work on pretty much anything, My Goal is at least 8 for drums, however other things keep getting in the way! Mine live in an old APEX lunch box with a pair of API 560s! so I don't even know if I wired the phantom right! The sound i those records you loved from the 70s oH and I have the red dot OPAMPS!
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
if i ever get caught up i would like to snag at least one more of these at a minimum.
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have 2 VP26 kits with Red Dots on their way right now, cant wait them together! Absolutely correct calling them a steal, and Jeff was great to deal with. If they sound as good as i think they will id be keen to get another pair, they are by far the cheapest way to fill a lunchbox!
Old 12th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Comparison

I have and built 3 VP25's and I just finish 2 VP26's, all with Red Dots.

I love the VP25's, use them for toms. They add that bite (not overly aggressive) and really cut though a mix effortlessly.

I just finished the VP26's, so I have not had a chance to compare yet.

I'll be using them tomorrow on a session, so I'll post my thoughts.
Old 13th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulmany ➑️
I have and built 3 VP25's and I just finish 2 VP26's, all with Red Dots.

I love the VP25's, use them for toms. They add that bite (not overly aggressive) and really cut though a mix effortlessly.

I just finished the VP26's, so I have not had a chance to compare yet.

I'll be using them tomorrow on a session, so I'll post my thoughts.
Toms, eh? That's exactly the same application I was considering purchasing a few of the VP25 kits for. Let us know how the drum recording went! Also, which opamps did you end up going with?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
DOAs

I used Scott's Red Dots for the DOA's.

You will definitely enjoy the VP25's on drums. They have attack(punch) and character without getting too aggressive and out of hand. You can really play around with the saturation character of the pre due to the output attenuator.

The VP26's have a little more punch and aggressive nature since the output saturates at a lower voltage. They are definitely my new rock guitar pres.

Let me just add that Jeff has been great to deal with!

thumbsup+1 to Classic API
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We have had two VP26's in heavy rotation for a bit now. stellar on everything! toms and vocals were the first things we were putting it to work on and it seems like everyone noticed the sound coming of the toms was present, deep and punchy, moreso than what I normal get with vintage 1272's, 312's, or my other go to pre for toms, the purple biz.

The harmonics that the transformer imparts, much nicer and thicker than a modern 512 or 312, I EQ to tape and what I'm getting from the VP26 is a badass harmonicly rich signal that EQ's like butter, its remarkable! As Ive used it more Ive found a few other applications where it just slays, kick drum, pretty vocals, dirty vocals , electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, snare drum, everywhere you would want the quick and rich sound of a 312, this thing delivers big time, its just sounds better.

We have been trying out tons of different opamps in the pre's and I haven't found a definite favorite, tho there are melcor's in them now (which I like for vocals, alot), but we have also have been very happy with the modern 2520's as well. obviously the huntington opamps sound really, really nice too. I haven't tried the red dots yet but I will soon! heh

We are really pushing for a new 500 rack here at the studio (ours are full ) and that is in no small way because we want to replace the 3124 with another couple pairs of these!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulmany ➑️
I used Scott's Red Dots for the DOA's.

You will definitely enjoy the VP25's on drums. They have attack(punch) and character without getting too aggressive and out of hand. You can really play around with the saturation character of the pre due to the output attenuator.

The VP26's have a little more punch and aggressive nature since the output saturates at a lower voltage. They are definitely my new rock guitar pres.

Let me just add that Jeff has been great to deal with!

thumbsup+1 to Classic API
Cool, thanx Mulmany. All good to know.
Old 14th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower ➑️
We have had two VP26's in heavy rotation for a bit now. stellar on everything! toms and vocals were the first things we were putting it to work on and it seems like everyone noticed the sound coming of the toms was present, deep and punchy, moreso than what I normal get with vintage 1272's, 312's, or my other go to pre for toms, the purple biz.

The harmonics that the transformer imparts, much nicer and thicker than a modern 512 or 312, I EQ to tape and what I'm getting from the VP26 is a badass harmonicly rich signal that EQ's like butter, its remarkable! As Ive used it more Ive found a few other applications where it just slays, kick drum, pretty vocals, dirty vocals , electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, snare drum, everywhere you would want the quick and rich sound of a 312, this thing delivers big time, its just sounds better.

We have been trying out tons of different opamps in the pre's and I haven't found a definite favorite, tho there are melcor's in them now (which I like for vocals, alot), but we have also have been very happy with the modern 2520's as well. obviously the huntington opamps sound really, really nice too. I haven't tried the red dots yet but I will soon! heh

We are really pushing for a new 500 rack here at the studio (ours are full ) and that is in no small way because we want to replace the 3124 with another couple pairs of these!
thanks a lot for this information, and your experience with these is really appealing to me....
i'm thinking i really want some of these now.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just ordered 2 with the Red Dot. The only problem is that my 500 rack is full. Too bad I sold my lunch box. Guess I am going to have to order another rack soon. Should I go with another API or try the Radial? Hmm. I might also need another patch bay as well. These might end up being spendy preamps when all is said and done.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Guess I am going to have to order another rack soon. Should I go with another API or try the Radial? Hmm. I might also need another patch bay as well. These might end up being spendy preamps when all is said and done.
Yeah, I'm running into the same issue. Needed to upgrade from my lunchbox to a rack to fit all my 500 series goodies.

I'm always amazed at what is required when you add a piece of gear into a full setup. It gets pricey! I always try to buy gear that has more channels available then what I need at that moment. I guess I should stop buying gear...na never going to happen.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Hey Mulmany, I just noticed your avatar. Cool, I dig it.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfrank72 ➑️
The only problem is that my 500 rack is full.
same problem here!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I dig it as well!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Which one do you think would sound better for drum overheads? I am thinking the VP25. For overhead mics, I like really clean sounding cymbals with a smooth top end and a clear stick attack, hot hyped, but I still want some body and warmth out of the toms and snare.. I'll be using a pair of vintage AKG 451 EBs or a pair of KSM44s for overheads. A pair of VP26s would be nice too if I could afford both, but right now I need to choose between one or the other.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful info.

Cheers,

Rappy
Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
VP25s will give you a good clean OH with a good bottom and some mojo. Great sounding pre, good for everything.
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just built my first VP26 with a Red Dot (prebuilt). Took me about 3 hours which I feel is OK since I never built something like this before. I had a friend that designs his own circuits and used to run an electronics repair shop for years help me. He showed me the proper way to solder to the board as well as explained how to read the lines on the resistors (or capacitors or whatever they were) although I still checked them with an ohm meter to make sure they were correct. I will assemble my other one tomorrow and am guessing that it should take an hour and a half or so. He did notice that two leads weren't soldered on one of the OP Amps so I am glad he checked that. I think this is a great project for a beginner although these could come with more in depth instructions.

I haven't tested it much yet, just through it in the rack to see if the phantom was wired the right way. From what I can tell with a handheld vocal mic is that it definately sounds way different than a 512. I don't have a 312 to compare it too and won't know if I like it until I throw it on some drums and other stuff. Don't have any real sessions until after the first of the year. If I like them, I am thinking about getting 2 more but may try the other OP amp.
πŸ“ Reply