The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone using VP-25 or 26 from Classic API
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I just got a VP-25 with the Red Dot which sounded quite nice on a snare drum during the one chance I've had yet to use it. On that basis, my studiomate ordered 5 VP-26's with Red Dots to round out a lunchbox, it'll be exciting to hear a whole kit through them.

Currently having some fun designing a faceplate layout using an 80's Peavey guitar amplifier as inspiration...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfrank72 ➑️
I just built my first VP26 with a Red Dot (prebuilt). Took me about 3 hours which I feel is OK since I never built something like this before. I had a friend that designs his own circuits and used to run an electronics repair shop for years help me. He showed me the proper way to solder to the board as well as explained how to read the lines on the resistors (or capacitors or whatever they were) although I still checked them with an ohm meter to make sure they were correct. I will assemble my other one tomorrow and am guessing that it should take an hour and a half or so. He did notice that two leads weren't soldered on one of the OP Amps so I am glad he checked that. I think this is a great project for a beginner although these could come with more in depth instructions.

I haven't tested it much yet, just through it in the rack to see if the phantom was wired the right way. From what I can tell with a handheld vocal mic is that it definately sounds way different than a 512. I don't have a 312 to compare it too and won't know if I like it until I throw it on some drums and other stuff. Don't have any real sessions until after the first of the year. If I like them, I am thinking about getting 2 more but may try the other OP amp.
I'm curious what the unsoldered leads were on the opamps? Every opamp goes through a burn in period and numerous measurement tests before they go out.
If there is a problem, I'd like to know and will certainly take care of it.

Thanks,

Scott
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I just built 2 VP26's (with Red Dots) and I'm pretty psyched on them right now. Definitely fits right in with my 3124+, Daking and Aurora GTQ2. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for where to get blank face plates silk-screened?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbystereo ➑️
...Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for where to get blank face plates silk-screened?
You can try frontpanelexpress.com. I don't know if they actually silk screen but they will laser engrave and anodize. I'm pretty sure they will let you supply your own material too if you bought the raw plates.
Old 25th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just got a VP-25 with the Red Dot which sounded quite nice on a snare drum during the one chance I've had yet to use it. On that basis, my studiomate ordered 5 VP-26's with Red Dots to round out a lunchbox, it'll be exciting to hear a whole kit through them.
+1

Great on the whole kit!
Old 12th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey! Just wanted to bump this great thread and see if anyone has had a chance to compare the three opamps offered at classicapi. I'm probably going to order 3 units, one VP25, one VP26, and another VP25 with the 312 conversion, then decide which ones to order more of.

Based on what I've read I was thinking of building the 26 with the Red Dot DOA and the 312 with the Blue Dot, but I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has tried several of the DOAs available at classicapi. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
Old 9th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've built both the vp26 and the vp25-312-style. I haven't compared them side-by-side, but first impressions were more robust, ballsy sound on the vp26, but I'm guessing that's the extra capacitors and different feedback cap value that I heard more than the difference in output tranny. Not to detract from Scott's red-dot, as I'm sure it's amazing, but the gar2520 is no slouch, either. A bit trickier to assemble than the preamp, having a tight layout and smaller pads and such, but that amp sounds GOOD. It beat out a few other 2520-clones that I have, just seeming to have girth and balls in comparison, which is what I'm after with this sort of preamp. Jeff has an amazing thing going, really, I don't think you could really regret building one of his kits. They are the EASIEST kit I've ever assembled, and that was without the 40+page assembly manual that he has out now.
Old 27th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey guys just wanted to say i've been using the pair of vp26's with Red dots on a few of the current projects. I have to say I was expecting them to be cool but honestly had no ideal how sweet they would be. Its not like the biggest night and day difference (close) but its also subtle. I know that makes no sense but it would if you used them. The thing is you can really grind them or make them clean. No matter what you do they sound smooth in a great way.

I've used them on vocals, drums and guitars.

The other thing I should say is I now have a pair of API 512's on craigslist if anyone wants to know. Seriously!

VP26 plus Red Dots are an amazing combo!
Old 24th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Anybody compare the VP25 vs the VP26 or the VP312? I built a pair of the the 26s with the GAR op amps and they sound great. I am planning to build another pair and I am wondering what the differences might be. I find the VP26s very mid focused (in a good way) and I would like something with a bit more top and bottom as a contrast. I don't know, maybe a change of the input transformer would make a bigger difference.

How about different op amps? Anybody care to share their experiences with comparing op amps in the VP2x pres?
Old 24th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I just finished a pair of VP26 with red dots and I'm wondering the same thing. I think I'll probably end up with a pair of VP312s next, but I'm not sure which DOAs to order. Primary use would be for OH / room... Anyone have an opinion?

To make things more difficult, which of those to get - the VP312 or VP312DI...?? Decisions, decisions... heh
Old 28th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Sound samples on Overheads

Hi, I did some searching around on here, and was able to find one sound clip of the Classic API's on drums. It was on a really cool sounding funk / jazz track.

One thing I noticed, was in the clip there was ever so slightly some line noise / hiss, whatever. Not bad, but there. Was this coming from the preamps themselves, or myabe the poster's console?

Does anybody else have any clips on rock drums?

I am considering building a pair up (more later if they work out) for OH's for mostly rock drums. Am really looking for nice air, openess and transparency I guess.

Not like a Millenia etc....but maybe like on the old Zep records and stuff.

Will these get me in the ballpark, and are they noisy at all?

I am guessing the source of the noise in the aforementioned clip was something else, but it never hurts to ask.

Has anyone managed to put these in a stand-alone 19" rack?

I talked to the owner of CAPI, and he said there is a way to get 4 into a normal rackmount space. Has anybody successfully done this yet?

Thanks all,
John
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT ➑️

I am considering building a pair up (more later if they work out) for OH's for mostly rock drums. Am really looking for nice air, openess and transparency I guess.

Not like a Millenia etc....but maybe like on the old Zep records and stuff.
Hey, John. I ended up building a pair of VP312 after my VP26's. Might be worth looking into for OH. Plus, it's a slightly easier build than the VP26, IMO. I have a thread with the specifics here, if you're interested:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...312-build.html

FWIW, I ended up just getting the standard (non-DI) version. Maybe my next pair will have the DI's, though...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I got 2 VP26 with red dots, 2 VP25s with red dot, and then 2 312s with Gar 2520. I'd say the red dots have a bit more detail, while the Gars are a bit creamier and smoother. Both sound great and can work in any module well.

As the modules, the 312 is a bit more open, more modern sounding, closer to current API stuff. The 26 will push things more forward in the mix, I suspect the transformer is compressing it a bit. The 25 is like the 26 except it has a larger output tranny which supposedly helps the low end a bit.
Lives for gear

I tracked drums today with the inside kick, snare top, and pair of overheads hitting my VP26s. I'll pop a clip out of the session tomorrow when I'm back in the studio.
Lives for gear

Hey thanks for the responses! And thanks for the descriptions.

That would be fantastic Bleen...

You know, it's the same old fine line for me. I love the "vintage" thing and all, but more than vintage I just want things to sound nice is all. Not chasing the sound of my youth or anything.

I mean, using stuff that can't sound modern if you want it to is kinda not my thing. When recording younger bands, they really have no interest in sounding like a late 60's / early 70's period piece much anymore. They just want sound that makes people say "Wow!" is all.

Vintage may be ok with them...but old? Not so much maybe.

That said, to me a lotta tones from boxes from the 70's would still hold up if using modern production techniques IMHO.

That seems to be the cool thing about api's, they can sound very modern and clean with the right mics and not pushed real hard.

The red dot has more detail and would be a "truer" representation of the source then?

Can't wait to hear those clips man, thanks in advance for this!

John
Lives for gear

Here's a quick bounce of a few bars, as promised. No processing on any of the tracks - this is mics>Apogee Symphony I/O>bounce in Logic.

VP26 on drums

Beta 52 on kick, Beta 57A on snare, pair of AT4060 on spaced-pair overheads.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Loving my '25 (sound great, was fun to build for a noob)

just waiting for more of the kits to come in to order a few more!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen ➑️
Here's a quick bounce of a few bars, as promised. No processing on any of the tracks - this is mics>Apogee Symphony I/O>bounce in Logic.

VP26 on drums

Beta 52 on kick, Beta 57A on snare, pair of AT4060 on spaced-pair overheads.
Damn! That IS nice. Nice and open...no noise there at all.

I love the mids actually the most very smooth and very API. This was no "air" lift on the eq?

It sounds like it would take some boost @ maybe 12khz really well, but it also sounds like it doesn't need much if any. Maybe in a dense mix with dirty guitars? By itself though, it's fine.

How live is your room? Sounds like it doesn't really even need a room mic.

Thanks Don you rock. Nice tones!...sold.

John
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
One thing I noticed, was in the clip there was ever so slightly some line noise / hiss, whatever. Not bad, but there. Was this coming from the preamps themselves, or myabe the poster's console?
John - don't worry about noise. Especially with them on drums. The noise must have been from somewhere else. When my La Chapell's sounded like junk on a very delicate and quiet Ac Gtr (KM84), I put on the VP26's and it was glorious. Fat, huge and quiet. And the KM84 is a fairly noisy mic. Don't worry about noise. hehthumbsup

As for the retro vs modern sound - here's my take on it. The vp26's are like API's built for the digital world. Although I love them, 512B/C's can get harsh sometimes for me since I record digitally 99% of the time now. VP-26's sound kind of like what a 512 going to tape sounds like. Creamier and with less HF snap on the sound. Smoother. Rounder. If you're looking for more of that "snap", I'd look towards the 312's - or maybe 25's. thumbsup

I LOVE the vp26's. I wish I had not waited so long. Thanks Jeff!!!!!
Old 1st March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn! That IS nice. Nice and open...no noise there at all.
I've NEVER heard noise on the VPs.

Quote:
I love the mids actually the most very smooth and very API. This was no "air" lift on the eq?
There's zero EQ or compression on that clip.

Quote:
How live is your room? Sounds like it doesn't really even need a room mic.
My room is a nice combo of diffusion and enough trapping that the lows aren't blooming out uncontrollably. If I put room mics out I generally crush them a ton to really bring out the space even more.heh

Glad you dug the clip!
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not noisy here.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My only wish as far as The VP26 goes is for a meter! And well more pres!
Was playing around yesterday and tried a new API 2520 from my 560 and have to say it just didn't have the balls as a red dot ! In the 560 I preferred the 2520, but want to try a blue dot !
My goal is a mobile rig with 24 VP 26s, but I need to get a ton of other projects finished first ! Oh well, happy with the 4 that I have and Jeffs latest little project the little line driver looks so cool !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My only wish is that all the parts would come in so I could build some more! Jeff, any word on shipping status?
Old 21st August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpettipoole ➑️
I know it's been several years, but do you remember how the 25 and 26 compared?
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The mega VP25/VP26 thread is here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...-right-me.html

It's got a lot more descriptions of the differences between the three Classic API preamps as well as sound clips and a bunch of other useful info.
Old 27th November 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
out of the three vp25 vp25 and vp312 whats has the most botttom and top end? i want these pre's for live use. input list for live...

for the band periphery

kick - beta 91a
kick - beta 52
snare beta 57 or transformerless 57 (i go back and forth)
floor - audix d6
overheads - ksm44

i need something thats gonna be huge and punchy and have great attack. ive been going back and forth on these pres readin every thread but im just not convinced on what to buy. i want some of these pres

from what ive read i think i want the vp25 with red dots

but what do you think?
Old 27th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by diluted23 ➑️
out of the three vp25 vp25 and vp312 whats has the most botttom and top end?
Just my opinion, but I'd look into the VP312.
πŸ“ Reply