Quantcast
Ultrasone Headphones? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ultrasone Headphones?
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ultrasone Headphones?

Anyone heard/use(d) them? How do they compare to Sony? Sennheiser HD-600? Those wooden ones?

I saw them at Mercenary:

MA's page
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I've used them the past two weeks. Very good sounding when used with a good headphone amp. (I used the echo indigo on my powerbook)
Each time I listen thru this combination, I seem to be able to tell what's going on with the recording I listen to (mostly jazz and the Fifth of RAP) It is very revealing and never harsh. I tried listening thru the headphone out of tascams/panasonic DAT, suddenly I miss the sound from the echo indigo.

The one that I bought was the HFI-650 ULE. All I know about LE and ULE is the low emission. As far as how much difference of sound, I don't know, it seems $35 wasn't a bad idea at the time of purchase. I bought it from Germany before offered by Mercenary. Mercenary's price is very good and I believe it's the only place you can get in the States as of now.

I asked Dr. Jan of meier-audio.com about the difference of 650 and 2000, he claims that the 650 seems to be the one people prefer. The 2000 is 'lazy' sounding probably due to the open ear design (although he and I agreed that HD600 beats the crap out of the HFI 2000) I like the 650 since its a close design allowing you to use it for tracking and recording purpose. The cable is long, and thick (there's a review on Tape-op in which the reviewer prefers the long straight cable, while after having this long straight cable, I prefer the coiled cable ala Sony's headphone.)
The foam is comfortable and I was using the headphone for 3 hours straight without taking it off.
Headphones I've used are: Sony 7506, 7509, V6, Sennheiser HD280, HD580, HD600, AKG 240.
So far, the HFI 650ULE has been my favorite, besides Senn. HD600.

If you want to find out more about headphones, go to www.head-fi.org

I hope this long winded review helps!

heh
Moko
📝 Reply