The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
coles 4038. what preamp do you recommend with it?
Old 2nd April 2016

🎧 10 years
Such a great mic.

I like it with the API pres, but the Thermionic Earlybird 2.2 has a 300ohm setting that really lets it shine also.
Old 2nd April 2016

🎧 15 years
Rca op-6
Old 2nd April 2016
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Mine is connected to a Focusrite 215 right now .. Tab Funkenwerk V78M is nice as well .. i think a 4038 would sound good through a Mackie !!!
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have mine on drum overhead, going through the Chandler TG2, for the full Beatles-esque experience...
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got a pair. So far they sound great through a Great River and a NPNG (I bought both the 4038s and the NPNG from a comrade slut on the board here). I can't wait to try them as overheads with my Chandler TG2. Great mics!
Old 2nd April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Congrats .. i was part of a session (doing documentary work) at Cello Studios where the engineer put a Coles about 4 feet in front of kit at Rack Tom LEvel (kick was in a tunnel) and the other was next to the floor tom - just above and out about 2 feet .. that was it, except for Kick and Snare mics .. that was a really cool sounding recording .. i have used this technique many times .. love it .. semi-mixerman / Mr. Johns technique

i use mine for all percussion as well .. and bass amp (with a windscreen) about 6 feet away

you will not be disappointed ..

cheers john

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef ➡️
Just got a pair. So far they sound great through a Great River and a NPNG (I bought both the 4038s and the NPNG from a comrade slut on the board here). I can't wait to try them as overheads with my Chandler TG2. Great mics!
Old 3rd April 2016 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 ➡️
Congrats .. i was part of a session (doing documentary work) at Cello Studios where the engineer put a Coles about 4 feet in front of kit at Rack Tom LEvel (kick was in a tunnel) and the other was next to the floor tom - just above and out about 2 feet .. that was it, except for Kick and Snare mics .. that was a really cool sounding recording .. i have used this technique many times .. love it .. semi-mixerman / Mr. Johns technique
do you have a pic of this setup?
Old 4th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
unfortunately no pics .. i have no idea whatever happened with that Doc .. it was Charlotte Martin, greg Wells wife, but not at the time .. i can see the setup in my head though .. you do not really ned a pic to do it as each kit is different .. even if you set it up the same it would not be correct .. it's just a Template .. left handed drummer - REM touring guy i think .. this was in or around 2000 ..

a little Charlotte for you .. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrI...FANhy7zd4vhUNw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Misner ➡️
do you have a pic of this setup?
Old 14th December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
The 4038 was designed to go through a Neve.
I don’t mean to sound like a d*ckhead but how is this possible? The Coles microphone was designed in the 50s. Neve preamp were designed in the late 60s. Perhaps you mean on a spiritual level?
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golafs ➡️
Hi.
just bought coles 4038 mic pair.
what preamp do you recommend with it?
have been looking at f.ex the AEA trp ribbon preamp and chandler tg-2.
GML.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx ➡️
I might, except I can't turn off phantom power on this Quad Eight!!
Maybe buy a twin Cloudlifter? I feel better with a Cloudlifter in front of my ribbon mic ... it means I can’t accidentally blow the ribbon
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad ➡️
Maybe buy a twin Cloudlifter? I feel better with a Cloudlifter in front of my ribbon mic ... it means I can’t accidentally blow the ribbon
+1 I have the twin cloudlifter, and use it on all my ribbons and dynamics now, even on a neve with 76dB of gain, it still makes a big difference to clarity, and I always prefer it with the cloudlifter, preamp choice doesn't matter too much, microphone placement is far more important than preamp choice.
📝 Reply