The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 33609 or Teletronix LA-2A
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Neve 33609 or Teletronix LA-2A

I am thinking about buying a vintage 33609 (metal knobs) OR a vintage Teletronix LA-2A. It will be my first outboard compressor. I do alot of tracking/producing and mixing albums but until now I have lived fine with pro tools HD3, my two Telefunken V76 and 8 x V676a preamps, tape echos and spring reverbs and plug-ins for EQ and compression.

I will mainly be using it for tracking vocals (mostly female at the moment), but also bass, trumpet/saxophone, drums - and if I get the Neve 33609 I could also use that on the master bus for mix-down, which wouldn't be an option on LA-2A.

Neve 33609 is well known for being one of the very best bus-compressors available.
Teletronix LA-2A is well known for being excellent for tracking vocals, bass, etc...

But... Does anyone actually also prefer the 33609 for rock/pop vocals, bass, guitars, horns and other single instruments? If so, please tell me...

The Neve 33609 is the most versatile: I get two compressors in one, can use it for both mono and stereo applications, and I would deffinately be using it on the master bus for mix-down, improving my mixes in general. But is it as sweet and sexy as the LA-2A when it comes to the most important: tracking vocals? Or is the LA-2A just a bit over-rated..?
Some threads in here say that the 33609 is full of that magic gluey Neve coloration, other threads claim the opposite... (I want color!)

I'm into old school sounds, 70' soul/funk, psychedelic pop, hip-hop, rock...

I can only pick one compressor for now... please help me decide...
Old 5th July 2009
7+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i promise you.. you get a good vintage la2a.. the 33609 wouldnt even hold a candle for vox..

just that simple..

la2a
Old 5th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 ➑️
i promise you.. you get a good vintage la2a.. the 33609 wouldnt even hold a candle for vox..

just that simple..

la2a
On the other hand...

A 33609 is a smokin' compressor that does everything the LA2A can't: gooey, amazing buss compression, drums, guitar, KILLER on piano (oh, the low mids!).

We've got one at the studio on a temporary loan, and it's gonna be a sad sad day when it goes away.
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarman ➑️
I am thinking about buying a vintage 33609 (metal knobs) OR a vintage Teletronix LA-2A. It will be my first outboard compressor. I do alot of tracking/producing and mixing albums but until now I have lived fine with pro tools HD3, my two Telefunken V76 and 8 x V676a preamps, tape echos and spring reverbs and plug-ins for EQ and compression.
Living fine is good, I see you have experience in music production. That should greatly help you making up your mind about this.

Quote:
I will mainly be using it for tracking vocals (mostly female at the moment), but also bass, trumpet/saxophone, drums - and if I get the Neve 33609 I could also use that on the master bus for mix-down, which wouldn't be an option on LA-2A.
Well, If you're gonna have only one, versatility is the key ...

Quote:
Neve 33609 is well known for being one of the very best bus-compressors available.
Is that so ? Good. I should get one, I was not aware it was the best at that. Where did you read that ?

Quote:
Teletronix LA-2A is well known for being excellent for tracking vocals, bass, etc...
I personaly love it on double bass and female vocal ... For Bossa Nova.

Quote:
But... Does anyone actually also prefer the 33609 for rock/pop vocals, bass, guitars, horns and other single instruments? If so, please tell me...
Love it on drum buss when I need it, that's for sure ...

Quote:
The Neve 33609 is the most versatile:
No shit ?

Quote:
I get two compressors in one, can use it for both mono and stereo applications, and I would deffinately be using it on the master bus for mix-down, improving my mixes in general. But is it as sweet and sexy as the LA-2A when it comes to the most important: tracking vocals? Or is the LA-2A just a bit over-rated..?
Some threads in here say that the 33609 is full of that magic gluey Neve coloration, other threads claim the opposite... (I want color!)

I'm into old school sounds, 70' soul/funk, psychedelic pop, hip-hop, rock...

I can only pick one compressor for now... please help me decide...
Have you tried any of them for real ? Or are you expecting one poster you don't know to convince you it is the absolute shit for your music (that we never heard in the first place) ??????

Good luck

malice
tekis
Don't waste your money on "metal knobs"!

This is what I call "GS-BS." Spend the money on TWO used 33609JD's. "Gearmonkeys" have artificially inflated the price of the "m-k" 33609. I saw it here first and now it's spread to eBay. (Just go look). Those "m-k" 33609's are NOT worth $7k!!! get 4 channels of great compression instead of 2 with "mojo." Or you could take the extra money and buy a re-issue LA2A (better than vintage). Save the money and "Don't Believe The Hype"!
member no 666

🎧 20 years
I'd say check out a Drawmer 1968 as it does vocals really well and 2 buss really well and is 1/4 of the price [if not less] than either the 33609 [real one] or an LA-2A [real one, NOT a reissue!!]... or wait a few months and check out the next offering from Great River Electronics [which I have] and be amazed at the versatility of their next compressor [as I have]... but if you're really leaning in the 33609 direction I have a "metal knob" one that is about as good an example of the unit as you'll ever find with which I'm willing to part [shoot an email]

Peace.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by malice ➑️
Living fine is good, I see you have experience in music production. That should greatly help you making up your mind about this.
What you are saying is that this chat forum is purely for people without music experience...

Quote:
Well, If you're gonna have only one, versatility is the key ...
maybe, maybe not. It depends on whether you prefer versatility OR the special vibe of i.e. the LA-2A. This is the reason I started the thread. I am in doubt!!

Quote:
Is that so ? Good. I should get one, I was not aware it was the best at that. Where did you read that ?
If you read carefully I wrote "one of the very best". Yes it is considered to be that if you did not know.

Quote:
I personaly love it on double bass and female vocal ... For Bossa Nova.
cool. bossa nova is not my thing.

Quote:
Love it on drum buss when I need it, that's for sure ...
Yeah I know. As said, the 33609 is supposed to be great at that job.

Quote:
No shit ?
Yes, really!

Quote:
Have you tried any of them for real ? Or are you expecting one poster you don't know to convince you it is the absolute shit for your music (that we never heard in the first place) ??????
yes, I have tried the LA-2A on vocals and bass many times in mix studios and love it. I have absolute no experience with the 33609 though, which is another reason for this thread.
If you've ever seen the latest ipod touch commercial, that's my song, my band, my mix. It has run worldwide for the last six months or so. Apart from that I have only produced/mixed for smaller bands from Denmark. Those you wouldn't know I'm sure.

Quote:
Good luck
thank you, you too tough guy

Quote:
malice
Lars
Old 6th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis ➑️
This is what I call "GS-BS." Spend the money on TWO used 33609JD's. "Gearmonkeys" have artificially inflated the price of the "m-k" 33609. I saw it here first and now it's spread to eBay. (Just go look). Those "m-k" 33609's are NOT worth $7!!! get 4 channels of great compression instead of 2 with "mojo." Or you could take the extra money and buy a re-issue LA2A (better than vintage). Save the money and "Don't Believe The Hype"!
I'd say "spend the money and get a great piece of history that NEVER loses it's value".
A re-issue LA-2A is worth half of it's sale price the same moment you walk out of the music shop door!

I was never the re-issues type of guy...

why do some people drive an old jaguar from the 60's? maybe because of the "feeling" it gives you, even though better cars have been made since for a fraction of the price.

It's all about how it FEELS, how it INSPIRES you!
It is to me at least.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're looking primarily for a tracking compressor (with added bonus of mix buss application) then I don't think the 33609 is for you.
I have an original, absolutely love it but I never use it for tracking (or mixing) vocals, bass, etc. Too slow.

LA2A would be your choice out of the two seeing as you'll get instant improvement on the way in.

But why not go for a UREI 1176 and a Neve 10xx series? You like color, the Neve will give plenty of that and 1176 will give you absolute versatility (and color).

Or a couple of Retro 176's will probably work out to around the same price as one vintage LA2A, but with a lot more versatility.

All depends on what you're after, your chain, sources, etc. Good luck.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sugarman,

If you like LA2A, as Fletcher said, forget reissues from Uaudio, for instance. You might wanna check on the Requisites Pal+, it might please you a lot. It's a little different than the LA2As, and much more versatile. The pre is great on top of it.

And btw, don't assume "good for drums buss" means "good on two bus".

I really haven't found the Neve to be great on mixes that often, believe me.

again, try before you buy. Don't take smart assed advices like mine as golden opinion

And beware of that Fletcher dude, he's trying to sell his shit

and he's often right about it

malice
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher ➑️
I'd say check out a Drawmer 1968 as it does vocals really well and 2 buss really well and is 1/4 of the price [if not less] than either the 33609 [real one] or an LA-2A [real one, NOT a reissue!!]... or wait a few months and check out the next offering from Great River Electronics [which I have] and be amazed at the versatility of their next compressor [as I have]... but if you're really leaning in the 33609 direction I have a "metal knob" one that is about as good an example of the unit as you'll ever find with which I'm willing to part [shoot an email]

Peace.
thank you fletcher.
I am very interested... I will email you
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For vocal the La2a rules. Both tracking and mixing. I prefer it on bass too.

The 33609 works great on gtrs, piano and it's a classic on drums and mix buss.

If you're looking for a tracking comp get an La2a. If mixing is what you need it for 33609.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If I could only pick one of the two and I was starting out like you with gear.

I would do the 33609. Its more versatile than the LA-2A. That is given.

But personally, I would personally pass on the neve and la 2a and get something else that can do vocals, and mix bus if I was in your shoes. There are plenty of just as good options for lot less money.

Paying $5000-7000 for vintage gear.
Good luck.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sugarman,

If you like LA2A, as Fletcher said, forget reissues from Uaudio, for instance. You might wanna check on the Requisites Pal+, it might please you a lot. It's a little different than the LA2As, and much more versatile. The pre is great on top of it.

And btw, don't assume "good for drums buss" means "good on two bus".

I really haven't found the Neve to be great on mixes that often, believe me.

again, try before you buy. Don't take smart assed advices like mine as golden opinion

And beware of that Fletcher dude, he's trying to sell his shit

and he's often right about it

malice

I just heard that many people love running their mixes through a 33609...
But you are right, I should try it first -if only I had the oportunity to do so...
I am only here to collect opinions from people more experienced than myself on this matter. I guess that's the whole reason a forum like gearslutz exists...
I shouldn't have to excuse myself for this thread!

I will have a look at Requisites Pal+

thanks
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
has anyone any experiences with the 33609 as a tracking compressor for vocals, instruments etc?

Anyone prefering the 33609 over the LA-2A for that task??

Is it not "warm", "gluey", "punchy"? (sorry for all the hype words... )
Or how would you describe it's sonic characteristics?
I was thinking that maybe you could set the attack and release knobs on a 33609 so it would act a bit like an LA-2A if that's what you want in a certain situation.. No..?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
has anyone any experiences with the 33609 as a tracking compressor for vocals, instruments etc?

Anyone prefering the 33609 over the LA-2A for that task??

Is it not "warm", "gluey", "punchy"? (sorry for all the hype words... )
Or how would you describe it's sonic characteristics?
I was thinking that maybe you could set the attack and release knobs on a 33609 so it would act a bit like an LA-2A if that's what you want in a certain situation.. No..?
33609 doesn't have an attack control. You can't emulate la2a as it is an opto and has a distinct color.

During tracking my 33609 is overheads always. La2a vox/bass.

Redo hot chilli peppers Californication has a 33609 on the buss. I associate mine with that color too.

Pal+ is awesome but different. More hi-fi for sure.
tekis
"Metal snobbed"

I'm telling you that YOU couldn't spot the difference in a mix. I am a career recording engineer/producer (21 years) with several gold and platinum records and a Grammy nomination. I don't sell/pimp gear. I use it to earn a living. Years ago I met many pro-audio gear brokers at the Record Plant, Media Sound, and Power Station auctions. They were buying up all the great stuff that rank and file engineers like me use at work everyday. They took that stuff, created and unrealistic voodoo-mystique around it and jacked the price way up and began selling to rich (mostly Japanese) collectors. Once before the internet was invented, I had a conversation with one of these guys. (who still sells stuff around here today and is generally regarded as a "stand up dude") I said, "Hey, I saw that you advertised $9500.00 for a Fairchild 660 in the back of Mix magazine!" His reply, "Yes, I did." My reply, "You know damn well that they're not worth that much!" His reply, "I know I just wanted to see if anyone would bite." I said, "That's wrong! You're telling everyone out there that a 660 is worth $9500, 'because I saw it in Mix!'" He said, "I know." And that's exactly what I'm seeing happen with this whole "metal knob" 33609 BS! Hey, I'm glad your band is on the iPod commercial (that sure put "Malice" in his place). But you're probably a good songwriter/singer. Those "metal knobs" aren't going to get you another iPod spot. What don't you save your money for the lean times? Did you notice that Fletcher still just tried to sell you everything that Mercenary stocks?(I guess they don't stock UA) It that what GS is REALLY all about...?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm telling you that YOU couldn't spot the difference in a mix. I am a career recording engineer/producer (21 years) with several gold and platinum records and a Grammy nomination. I don't sell/pimp gear. I use it to earn a living. Years ago I met many pro-audio gear brokers at the Record Plant, Media Sound, and Power Station auctions. They were buying up all the great stuff that rank and file engineers like me use at work everyday. They took that stuff, created and unrealistic voodoo-mystique around it and jacked the price way up and began selling to rich (mostly Japanese) collectors. Once before the internet was invented, I had a conversation with one of these guys. (who still sells stuff around here today and is generally regarded as a "stand up dude") I said, "Hey, I saw that you advertised $9500.00 for a Fairchild 660 in the back of Mix magazine!" His reply, "Yes, I did." My reply, "You know damn well that they're not worth that much!" His reply, "I know I just wanted to see if anyone would bite." I said, "That's wrong! You're telling everyone out there that a 660 is worth $9500, 'because I saw it in Mix!'" He said, "I know." And that's exactly what I'm seeing happen with this whole "metal knob" 33609 BS! Hey, I'm glad your band is on the iPod commercial (that sure put "Malice" in his place). But you're probably a good songwriter/singer. Those "metal knobs" aren't going to get you another iPod spot. What don't you save your money for the lean times? Did you notice that Fletcher still just tried to sell you everything that Mercenary stocks?(I guess they don't stock UA) It that what GS is REALLY all about...?
I am not looking for another iPod shot. Trust me. what's wrong with people here?!
I am about to record songs and scetches for my bands second album and I just want to compress the recorded signal (for many good reasons not relevant to mention here). It's a very very simple wish. Many engineers and producers before me also like to do that!
I happen to enjoy using vintage outboard stuff. Stop arguing me about that. Stay on the topic please!
Of course I totally get what you are saying in terms of the whole vintage hype thing is running wild. It sure is! But I think young producers like myself are searching for some honest "history" and "soul" in this new digitalized music world. We find that in old classic outboard and vintage instruments. Maybe they don't necessarily sound better on the paper, but they INSPIRE!! and they FEEL good!! Is that so wrong? Of course the price should not be crazy, but for some reason I am always lucky enough to find high valuable equipment for cheap money.
I get where I want by combining a super slick and modern HD3 setup with some old golden outboard pres, tape echos, spring reverbs, compressors and all that cool stuff our favorite albums where made with back in the days. The feeling of using a Dynacord Echocord S62 definitely wins over tapping a new Lexicon delay unit.
I get the best of two worlds. And yes, I think it's WORTH it!
Riv
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I don't know if Fletcher sells UA or not - it doesn't matter.

Don't waste your money on a reissue LA-2A. I've done the shoot out several times, and they DON'T sound like the original units with the H100X on the input transformer.

You'll hear people argue this point. I've had people with great ears do the shoot out with me. It's never even been close.

Don't waste your money. If you can't buy the real thing, pass on the LA-2A until you can afford it.

-Riv
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Now stop GS BS'ing...!!

this is not a "new vs vintage" thread!

back to the subject please...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riv ➑️

Don't waste your money on a reissue LA-2A. I've done the shoot out several times, and they DON'T sound like the original units with the H100X on the input transformer.

You'll hear people argue this point. I've had people with great ears do the shoot out with me. It's never even been close.

Don't waste your money. If you can't buy the real thing, pass on the LA-2A until you can afford it.

-Riv

You are right, I should get the old LA-2A.
I would never buy a re-issue of anything!
I only tried the old one... It's a nice compressor.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think I am leaning towards getting the LA-2A.

Still.. If anyone has experience using a 33609 (old or new!) for tracking vocals/instruments I would love to hear from you.

thanks
tekis
Hey "non-reissue" guy

Quote:
I'd say "spend the money and get a great piece of history that NEVER loses it's value".
A re-issue LA-2A is worth half of it's sale price the same moment you walk out of the music shop door!

I was never the re-issues type of guy...

why do some people drive an old jaguar from the 60's? maybe because of the "feeling" it gives you, even though better cars have been made since for a fraction of the price.

It's all about how it FEELS, how it INSPIRES you!
It is to me at least.
Get a 2" 16 track( 60's Jaguar) and get off ProTools (Lexus)
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Get a 2" 16 track( 60's Jaguar) and get off ProTools (Lexus)
maybe one day

but as said, I like both worlds
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
my "car" has the engine of a 2009 Lexus but the soul of a 60's Jaguar
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riv ➑️

-Riv
I agree the reissue just didn't cut the mustard for me. Its buttery smooth. One of the smoothest I ever heard or used. But a little too smooth for my taste and dark. It did work on the bass guitar for me. But just working on the bass isn't worth the reissue's price tag.

Another cheaper solution is to buy the old UTC transformers. HA-100x, and UTC A-24. I have done this. And swapped the UA reissue crap for the real old school iron deal. Most of the MOJO original UTC LA 2A will be there.. And swapping out the tubes for some good vintage ones will get you closer to the real deal as well.

I love my 33609 J/D (modded) but I personally have preferred choices of gear for vocals or mix buss compression. There is nothing wrong with the 33609 J/D. If I only could have one comp to do it all, this probably would be it. Definitely would take a 33609 over a Distressor.

Its one professional piece of equipment and kicks serious azz. I also have one for sale. And I am in no hurry to sell it. Because like I said, I like it, but don't really need it (NEED IT) to make music. and I willing to part with it. Probably later regret it. Its one of those. The kind you will regret to sell later. It has that neve british mid range punchy magic. It is a desert island compressor. This is true from my experiences with it. Hope that helps.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
tekis... are you kidding me with that post? You got platinum and gold records and decided to enlighten us with what ...that you won't be able to tell the difference in a mix between a metal knob and a JD? or that a metal knob won't get anyone another ipod commercial? Anything else you wanna share with us? Cause I heard if a buy a 30K fairchild 670 I'll win a grammy next year. Please tell me it IS so!

Of course gear won't bring you success tekis. But you knew that. We all know that. Welcome to GS. As Sugarman said, a place for people who love gear of any kind - vintage or new, blue or green, etc... get it? Simple eh?

Now...if you can't tell a difference between a metal-knob and a J/D then more power to you. And good luck. You gonna need it.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Consider an 1176 BF and an 1178
Harmless Wacko

🎧 15 years
I need them both and would be hating my life if I couldn't grab one or the other when the moment calls for it.

That's how you end up with no life/cash and rooms full of blinky junk.

I don't need much: Just a minimum of 2 of everything ever made that passes audio.

Not being a smartass, my honest reply to the question as posed.

It's a sickness I enjoy immensely.

That's why I come to sites like this: To empathize with other victims of the affliction.

Best regards and wishes,

SM.
tekis
Do I own any records that you've done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra ➑️
tekis... are you kidding me with that post? You got platinum and gold records and decided to enlighten us with what ...that you won't be able to tell the difference in a mix between a metal knob and a JD? or that a metal knob won't get anyone another ipod commercial? Anything else you wanna share with us? Cause I heard if a buy a 30K fairchild 670 I'll win a grammy next year. Please tell me it IS so!

Of course gear won't bring you success tekis. But you knew that. We all know that. Welcome to GS. As Sugarman said, a place for people who love gear of any kind - vintage or new, blue or green, etc... get it? Simple eh?

Now...if you can't tell a difference between a metal-knob and a J/D then more power to you. And good luck. You gonna need it.
YOU my friend couldn't tell the difference between a J/D and Metal Snob. YOU cannot. Only if you look into your wallet afterwards...Besides, what have you got to offer besides 1900+ posts?

Last edited by tekis; 6th July 2009 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: [email protected]#$%^&*Gearmonkeys!
πŸ“ Reply