Quantcast
Lynn Fuston's MIC/PRE Comparison CDs - Do the job right? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynn Fuston's MIC/PRE Comparison CDs - Do the job right?
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Lynn Fuston's MIC/PRE Comparison CDs - Do the job right?

Hey, I realize it's been a while since these Mic and Pre Comparison CDs were released ., so forgive me if this is a reiteration.

I'm sure that at the time the cds were released, there must have been a buzz of review/ feedback, but I can't seem to find the forum review data on these discs here at GS. I'm sure it's just my lack of GS search engine knowledge - I did a search to try to find reviews and info on the cds, but all I found out is that Lynn Fuston is a gear slut - I'm new to GS - am I seriously missing something here?

(Hey - I'm an idiot - just found a whole bunch of Fuston stuff on the forum - BUT DON"T STOP THEM OPINIONS FROM ROLLING IN PLEASE, I'm sure there are many more who have tested the cds hiding out in a witness protection program somewheres. )

My questions are:

Do the cds reliably do the job of translating the sounds accurately and consistantly.

Does anyone (including Lynn or Lynn's buddies) have any recommendations as to how the disks should be listened to (optimum listening environement, and what should be listened for), or any special considerations that should be taken while listening? (i.e. monitors, cans, space, etc.)

I'm asking because I just received the cds and am about to do an intensive listening session this weekend.

Thanks, in advance, fellow sluts, and don't hold back, please .
Old 19th August 2005
Gear Guru
OK, here goes.

That preamp CD ruined the sound of my preamp.

The signal from the preamps was fed into a gain stage with OP275 opamps. It was then fed into a Mytek 8x96 A/D converter. Since Lynn didn't get one with S/PDIF outputs, he sent the AES digital out into an Alesis AI-1 sample rate converter to change to S/PDIF outs that would feed his sound designer card for his pro tools 888 system.

The AI-1 truncated the 24 bit data into 16 bits. Pro tools processing did it's number on it too. I suspect a last stage of dithering was also added to make a red book compatible CD-R, so that truncated 16 bit data was smacked again even though it was already 16 bits, although no one knew it at the time.

Although I provided the mic cables, a modified 414 that was used on the male vocals, I wasn't privy to the details of the setup or I would have tried to correct it.

When I got the first CD, (Lynn said he would send me the second but I'm still waiting), I played it through my best converters, BurrBrown PCM1704 and PCM1792. I still can't hear the obvious differences I hear when I listen to the preamps live. Most disturbing is the fact that tube and solid state preamps have no character difference. I mean, if you can't even tell a tube from a transistor something is terribly wrong.

Save your $30. ($30??!!). Go down to guitar center and listen.
BTW, I still held some back, maybe for a later day.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 19th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks, Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
OK, here goes.

The signal from the preamps was fed into a gain stage with OP275 opamps. It was then fed into a Mytek 8x96 A/D converter. Since Lynn didn't get one with S/PDIF outputs, he sent the AES digital out into an Alesis AI-1 sample rate converter to change to S/PDIF outs that would feed his sound designer card for his pro tools 888 system.

The AI-1 truncated the 24 bit data into 16 bits. Pro tools processing did it's number on it too. I suspect a last stage of dithering was also added to make a red book compatible CD-R, so that truncated 16 bit data was smacked again even though it was already 16 bits, although no one knew it at the time.

Although I provided the mic cables, a modified 414 that was used on the male vocals, I wasn't privy to the details of the setup or I would have tried to correct it.

When I got the first CD, (Lynn said he would send me the second but I'm still waiting), I played it through my best converters, BurrBrown PCM1704 and PCM1792. I still can't hear the obvious differences I hear when I listen to the preamps live. Most disturbing is the fact that tube and solid state preamps have no character difference. I mean, if you can't even tell a tube from a transistor something is terribly wrong.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Thank you very much for your response and obviously valid concerns. I'm sure other hi-fi enthusiasts and pro recording engineers here at GS must feel similarly, then - if the errors are so blatant. Although, I guess you never know. I appreciate the feedback.

Lesson learned - spring for the S/PDIF?!

btw, which preamp was it
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
OK, here goes.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
It sounds like what the disc represent are about as TRUE as anything else many people post here when doing tests.

Reference point, nothing else.

I think it was great idea...I just wish the the results were posted for free on the web. That would certainly make the service more valuable and intent more genuine.

Selling the discs makes it seem to me like the project was a way to make money...not just to test.

No Flame against Lynn...he provides excelent info here and abroad...(Respect) but if you want to hear some good info check out mojopie or the Listening sessions...Just as subjective...but free of charge.

Peace and Respect
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
It sounds like what the disc represent are about as TRUE as anything else many people post here when doing tests.

Reference point, nothing else.

I think it was great idea...I just wish the the results were posted for free on the web. That would certainly make the service more valuable and intent more genuine.

Selling the discs makes it seem to me like the project was a way to make money...not just to test.

No Flame against Lynn...he provides excelent info here and abroad...(Respect) but if you want to hear some good info check out mojopie or the Listening sessions...Just as subjective...but free of charge.

Peace and Respect
Hey, thanks for the suggestion and perspective.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
Thank you very much for your response and obviously valid concerns. I'm sure other hi-fi enthusiasts and pro recording engineers here at GS must feel similarly, then - if the errors are so blatant. Although, I guess you never know. I appreciate the feedback.

Lesson learned - spring for the S/PDIF?!

btw, which preamp was it
The Audio Upgrades High Speed.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Audio Upgrades High Speed.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Gracias, senior. (I haven't used your pre, guilt, guilt) .
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall
Lynn Fuston is a bad MoFo.... you can quote me on that! few would disagree
Thanks for the personal reference!! Maybe Lynn and I can go squirrel hunting sometime.

I'm jost joking - regardless of the warnings, I'm going to check out the cds for the next 3 days and see if the recordings can transcend the less than optimum conversion and dithering on their way to my ears .

Randall, have you heard those cds? Waddaya think?

Thanks for your response.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I don't disagree that there were problems with the disk, but I'll tell you what:

1. Jim's preamp stood out as being magnificent (especially on the guitar tracks, I think).

2. The very high-end pre's I used at the time were represented accurately, including aspects I loved and aspects I didn't like so much.

3. I heard the magic of the Neve 1081 and vintage Focusrites.

4. I discovered a couple of real gems I hadn't known about before. I bought one of them and have loved it ever since.

5. I heard some very high-end pre's that I'd never heard before and honestly, over and over again in blind listening situations, just did not like.

6. As a tool to discover how much a preamp really matters, it was not conclusive but it was enlightening.

I'm thrilled I spent the money on these CD's (including the microphone tests). It's funny: some people I really respect can tell very little difference amongst the pre's, and other people can tell very large differences. I love Lynn's tag line: "Can YOU hear the difference?" It's been continually worth the money for me to work on answering that question myself.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator
I don't disagree that there were problems with the disk, but I'll tell you what:

1. Jim's preamp stood out as being magnificent (especially on the guitar tracks, I think).

2. The very high-end pre's I used at the time were represented accurately, including aspects I loved and aspects I didn't like so much.

3. I heard the magic of the Neve 1081 and vintage Focusrites.

4. I discovered a couple of real gems I hadn't known about before. I bought one of them and have loved it ever since.

5. I heard some very high-end pre's that I'd never heard before and honestly, over and over again in blind listening situations, just did not like.

6. As a tool to discover how much a preamp really matters, it was not conclusive but it was enlightening.

I'm thrilled I spent the money on these CD's (including the microphone tests). It's funny: some people I really respect can tell very little difference amongst the pre's, and other people can tell very large differences. I love Lynn's tag line: "Can YOU hear the difference?" It's been continually worth the money for me to work on answering that question myself.
Point well taken - it always comes down to that.

Thanks for posting your take on the cds - I really appreciate it.

BTW - do you feel like revealing which gem you discovered and bought? ANd which pres you didin't like? I'd love to know. You don't have to post any personal disclaimers about your opinion - I understand how subjective all this stuff is, but this is the kind of thing I'm curious about - obviously, the cds hipped you to some pieces of gear that have made your recording life better (and also turned you away from others), and that seems to be at least part of the point of this.

Also, what kind of music do you record, generally? Like, if you said classical, I'd be like ok, sure dude (I've actually done quite a bit of classical myself). I'm looking for the best pres and mics specifically for hi energy female and male pop rock and r&b vocals.

Counting down to listening - gotta clean up my kitchen first.
Old 20th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was present and involved at the first preamp comparison recording session.

Jim, if you can hear one op-275 set for 6db gain, I'll call you a liar to your face, anywhere, anytime.

Were the differences more audible during the recording than the disk's resulting playback? Well, duh, yeah.

We used Jim's cables, until they broke, which was about 20 minutes into the session. Then we had to start over.
TwinAx, solid core cable is a neat idea, but in a studio session situation, it just didn't work, literally and figuratively. Not to mention the total lack of immunity to magnetic interference due to the lack of twists. Cat 5 is about 80db better.

These sessions were done as carefully as we could, given time constraints.

Levels were maintained within fractions of a db, the singers were amazingly consistant, and no favoritism at all was exibited. Grant Carpenter of Gordon Electronics was the supervisor at the second CD, and I know his precision and attention to detail made that one just as even handed.

Jim's preamp sounds like a Mackie on Steroids. It comes across that way to me on the disk too, what can I say?

We all like what we like, and what I hear off the disk sounds rather remarkably like what I heard in the studio those days.

But I'm old and don't live in LA, so what do I know?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
well, the pre cd confirmed one very important fact for me: i don't like christian vocals sung by a dweeb.

not even thru a daking. heh

gregoire
del ubik
VIP

🎧 15 years
I bought all of Lynn's CDs and listened very closely to the different pres and mics. Over the years in my real life testing I found those CDs are representing very close what I am hearing in my studio with real life preamps and mics. True, the tests are based on the particular performer, performance, room, humidity. lunch etc. etc. on that day and hour when those test were done. But it compares all the units under the same conditions (or as close as humanly possible). As a guideline for different pres and mics (specifically for somebody who can't do their own testing) I find those CDs absolutely useful.

Somebody said that they wished the results were posted for free on the web. Well, here is your chance, go ahead and rent a studio, get 30-40 mic pres send to you, unpack, set them up, wire them up, do some major aligning down to a fraction of a dB, mic everything up meticulously, get some great performers to play, record everything in detail for 4-5 days, pack 'em all back up and take them back to UPS, then edit everything and post the results on the web for free (can't use MP-3 files though) heh Last year I attended a few (to me very exhausting) days of the "making of a mic pre CD" with Lynn and I find for all the effort and long hours of highly concentrated work that go into putting one of those together, $30 is a very small price to pay and I'm glad I did.
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
well, the pre cd confirmed one very important fact for me: i don't like christian vocals sung by a dweeb.

gregoire
del ubik
I told Lynn to get Lemmy from Motorhead to perform, so you could really hear the delicate difference between mics, but he won't listen to me
heh heh heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
I told Lynn to get Lemmy from Motorhead to perform, so you could really hear the delicate difference between mics, but he won't listen to me
heh heh heh
The additional set up for the pre test would have included :

- cool the room to about 50 degrees F [even though he is wearing shorts, no shirt, and a denim jacket]
- get a bottle of Jim Beam and a 6 pack of Coke, preferably with a 7-11 squeeze bottle
- Put Lemmy in the back of the room and let him face the back wall
- Put up a 414 about a foot over his head and let him get into his vocal position

I'd like to hear that too...

Cheers,
John
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ubik, I'm with you.

You didn't have to be there...

Tho by the end of it all, even Allison Krause might have become annoying :-)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

gregoire
del ubik
More reliable humor from ubik - I totally wasn't expecting that - HILARIOUS.

Personally, I'm more into Zoroastrian bazouki played by a borg (mic and pre testing).

Thanks and agreed
Junk in - junk out! - No disrespect to Christianity, Bananorama, or John Cage
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kennedy
Ubik, I'm with you.

You didn't have to be there...

Tho by the end of it all, even Allison Krause might have become annoying :-)
I know those a-b testing sessions are AMAZING to say the least, even if you're NOT a musician at all.

Wait, I didn't catch that, oh **** I forgot, remember on take 33, when I told you it was a Daking, well I totally screwed up my notes, that was CHANNEL 33 - I'm such an idiot. What, you mean we were listening to the friggin Daking for takes 25 through 45 - AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGG. Okay, strike the board, let's get back to it. I've been through that a whole buncha times.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
my experience with these CDs was very much like Confusionator's. blind listening consistently led me to a few favorites and influenced purchases that I am very happy with.

a substitute for really using the preamps in a session? of course not, but it did help me narrow down which ones to rent one fun-filled weekend!

a perfect test? apparently not. But let's face it, a perfect comparison is out of reach for us mere humans.

worth $30? hey, I wish every movie ever made was available for free on the web. In Hi-Def. A lot of the free web stuff is mp3. A lot of it is head-to-head preamp one vs preamp two. It certainly has some value, but I know of no free web stuff that has the same singer on the same mic on the same day with 30 different preamps.

I bet any day now Lynn will be buying a yacht and sailing to Tahiti (where he can use his Desert Island Microphones) with all the money he makes from selling all those CDs to the millions of people who actually care about microphone preamps.

I think it was worth $30 just for the FUN factor of listening to all these preamps. If I got useful info from it, it was a bonus. If I missed some good stuff because of flaws in the test, human variations in the performances or changes in the humidity, that would only be expected. I would have missed more if I never listened to the cd, so I consider myself ahead.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
my experience with these CDs was very much like Confusionator's. blind listening consistently led me to a few favorites and influenced purchases that I am very happy with.

a substitute for really using the preamps in a session? of course not, but it did help me narrow down which ones to rent one fun-filled weekend!

a perfect test? apparently not. But let's face it, a perfect comparison is out of reach for us mere humans.

worth $30? hey, I wish every movie ever made was available for free on the web. In Hi-Def. A lot of the free web stuff is mp3. A lot of it is head-to-head preamp one vs preamp two. It certainly has some value, but I know of no free web stuff that has the same singer on the same mic on the same day with 30 different preamps.

I bet any day now Lynn will be buying a yacht and sailing to Tahiti (where he can use his Desert Island Microphones) with all the money he makes from selling all those CDs to the millions of people who actually care about microphone preamps.

I think it was worth $30 just for the FUN factor of listening to all these preamps. If I got useful info from it, it was a bonus. If I missed some good stuff because of flaws in the test, human variations in the performances or changes in the humidity, that would only be expected. I would have missed more if I never listened to the cd, so I consider myself ahead.
HEY - WHO YOU CALLIN' A MERE FRIGGIN HUMAN?????!!!!! If you gonna step, you bedduh come korrek, sun!!! I'm from FRANCE!!! (We're from France )

Thanks so much for the reinforcement and feedback!! I'm there (TAHITI, that is - when do we leave? )

Just out of curiousity - do you recall which devices you were convinced to check out - just from the CD, that is? Did you check out the mic cd, as well?

Thanks, again.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Lemmy Test CDs forthcoming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno
The additional set up for the pre test would have included :

- cool the room to about 50 degrees F [even though he is wearing shorts, no shirt, and a denim jacket]
- get a bottle of Jim Beam and a 6 pack of Coke, preferably with a 7-11 squeeze bottle
- Put Lemmy in the back of the room and let him face the back wall
- Put up a 414 about a foot over his head and let him get into his vocal position

I'd like to hear that too...

Cheers,
John
So, basically the Lemmy mic/ pre test cd?

That should prove entertaining. I can just see all the nerds sitting around, brows furrowed, entranced by the meters on their analyzers as Lemmy screams about how he's gonna rip your friggin head off at monster volumes.

Somebody get Lynn on the phone (Oh wait - I think he's in Tahiti)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
I bought all of Lynn's CDs and listened very closely to the different pres and mics. Over the years in my real life testing I found those CDs are representing very close what I am hearing in my studio with real life preamps and mics. True, the tests are based on the particular performer, performance, room, humidity. lunch etc. etc. on that day and hour when those test were done. But it compares all the units under the same conditions (or as close as humanly possible). As a guideline for different pres and mics (specifically for somebody who can't do their own testing) I find those CDs absolutely useful.

Somebody said that they wished the results were posted for free on the web. Well, here is your chance, go ahead and rent a studio, get 30-40 mic pres send to you, unpack, set them up, wire them up, do some major aligning down to a fraction of a dB, mic everything up meticulously, get some great performers to play, record everything in detail for 4-5 days, pack 'em all back up and take them back to UPS, then edit everything and post the results on the web for free (can't use MP-3 files though) heh Last year I attended a few (to me very exhausting) days of the "making of a mic pre CD" with Lynn and I find for all the effort and long hours of highly concentrated work that go into putting one of those together, $30 is a very small price to pay and I'm glad I did.
Thank you so much, Michael, for your posting.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I've done lots of really dilligent a-b work, in addition to a bunch of instrumental collections and sample cd recording - and it's no joke.

We once did a 3 day sample cd session with 19 mics in a concert hall on a home-made kit for a crossover drum/percussion sample cd called Tribal Mutations (Uruguan master drummer/ percussionist Walter Gonzalez). We had help from the wonderful engineer Paul Special (Masterdisk, etc.) for that session, as well.

It takes an incredible amount of patience and concentration to document and get through those sessions, especially BECAUSE the material is so similar. Kinda like plugging in lighting cable at a Peter Gabriel SHow (I have no idea where that came from).

Anyhow, any turn-ons for you, as a result of the CDs - did you check out both mic and pre?

Thanks, again
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
I had the pre CD.

I went through it a few times, taking notes, at home, and in the car (I have a fantastic car system).

It was totally blind and I came up with similar notes on several different tests, so it did seem to work for me. Sadly I wasn't able to afford the mic pre that consistantly won for me, which was the DBX 786. But there were many others I liked as well. I don't remember all the specifics, should have saved my notes.

But yes, I think the CD is very useful.
Hey thanks for your feedback, Rob.

One vote for the 786!!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kennedy
I was present and involved at the first preamp comparison recording session.

Jim, if you can hear one op-275 set for 6db gain, I'll call you a liar to your face, anywhere, anytime.

Were the differences more audible during the recording than the disk's resulting playback? Well, duh, yeah.

We used Jim's cables, until they broke, which was about 20 minutes into the session. Then we had to start over.
TwinAx, solid core cable is a neat idea, but in a studio session situation, it just didn't work, literally and figuratively. Not to mention the total lack of immunity to magnetic interference due to the lack of twists. Cat 5 is about 80db better.

These sessions were done as carefully as we could, given time constraints.

Levels were maintained within fractions of a db, the singers were amazingly consistant, and no favoritism at all was exibited. Grant Carpenter of Gordon Electronics was the supervisor at the second CD, and I know his precision and attention to detail made that one just as even handed.

Jim's preamp sounds like a Mackie on Steroids. It comes across that way to me on the disk too, what can I say?

We all like what we like, and what I hear off the disk sounds rather remarkably like what I heard in the studio those days.

But I'm old and don't live in LA, so what do I know?
80 db on the CAT 5 - that's incredible.

Old people who don't live in L.A. should tell everyone they're from FRANCE - it's a great trick - it really works. I'm just joking, Dan. We're all old. My grandma just turned 95 last week!!! Thats' pretty old, no? Whaddo I know - I'm old and I don't live in NY (actually, I do - sometimes).

Thank you so much for your feedback - I'm honored to get a response from one of the actual participants - I love GS for that. I'm so glad you guys did what you did. I'm still listening and taking notes.

Say, Dan, aren;t you supposed to be in Tahiti with Lynn, or did he cut you out of that GOLDMINE of a MONEY MAKING deal? heh
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...snip...
Anyhow, any turn-ons for you, as a result of the CDs - did you check out both mic and pre?

Thanks, again
Just valuable info. As you know, you can never have too many mics or mic pres. But like I said, it confirmed what I was hearing at my place. Yes I bought all of Lynn's CDs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
More reliable humor from ubik - I totally wasn't expecting that - HILARIOUS.

Personally, I'm more into Zoroastrian bazouki played by a borg (mic and pre testing).

Thanks and agreed
Junk in - junk out! - No disrespect to Christianity, Bananorama, or John Cage

Yeah, it's pretty hilarious unless you're a Christian. Because if you are, it just comes off as a cheap shot, posted without thought that maybe not everyone is an atheist or believes we all just showed up here on this forum because something exploded a long time ago, something that apparently created itself.

I'm all for the pre CD....there is no substitute for actually listening in person, but getting all those pres in your studio could be a bit of a challenge. I think Lynn did everyone a service.

TH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty hilarious unless you're a Christian. Because if you are, it just comes off as a cheap shot, posted without thought that maybe not everyone is an atheist or believes we all just showed up here on this forum because something exploded a long time ago, something that apparently created itself.

Here we go..... *sigh*
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new

Here we go..... *sigh*
I hear that sigh.

Come on, folks - respect to everyone, however we choose to live, individually.
Please no more religious or social pokes at one another.

I guess it is a bit of a tricky thing to pick for an entire group of global gear slutz, though, and when everyone has to listen so intently, and for a while.

However, I think we could all put our material (political, musical, etc.) gripes aside (each of us is always going to have at least some complaint about the material (Wagner, Madonna, Fish, Zappa, Hitler Youth, Motorhead, Creed, Peter, Paul and Mary, etc.) and just take advantage of this wonderful "gift" or opportunity compiled mostly for our potential benefit (this includes the benefit of the people who did it. - because this was obviously a labor of love, and gear slutlyness)

After all, as folks above have iterated, nobody's retiring to the Carribean with the proceeds from work like this, so GEAR SLUTZ and potential and wet-behind-the- ears gear slutz are the clear target market for these cds. heh

Anyhow, back to the wonderful illuminations that have been made possible by the cds for y'all - any others?

Thanks - and, again, respect to everyone.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Lyrics aside....those "dweebs" have had a LONG lucrative career singing with everyone under the sun.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Christians are NOT dweebs

That would be an insult to dweebs everywhere. Dweebs are logical and have rational minds.

Christians are wack jobs. Get it right heh

Intelligent design? Yeah, only if Rupert Neve is the creator
πŸ“ Reply