Quantcast
Who uses 2" at all? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who uses 2" at all?
Old 29th April 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
When tracking all the parts and mixing off the same reel of 2", we're talking about hundreds of passes.

Despite that, I've never been bothered by any loss of highs off tape.
Old 29th April 2003
Riffer

🎧 15 years
Yeah, what Jon said. See my post on the "tape usage" thread.
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
That cracks me up. I just assumed from the sound of that album that it had to have been done digitally (and I don't mean that in a nice way.)

-R
Whoops, I think I may have spoken too soon. I thought you were referring to "2 Against Nature", but I heard what sounded like a new Dan track on the radio today and it sounded pretty squishy. The drum sound reminded me of Aja, somehow. Maybe there's something to this analog thing after all.

-R
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That cracks me up. I just assumed from the sound of that album that it had to have been done digitally (and I don't mean that in a nice way.)

-R
I think the Steely Dan record in question is the one they are working on, not Two Against Nature.
Old 30th April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I heard what sounded like a new Dan track on the radio today and it sounded pretty squishy. The drum sound reminded me of Aja, somehow. Maybe there's something to this analog thing after all.
I'll give up analog tape when I hear something digital that does the squishy thing that tape does to drums. When I can get that sound out of a digital box I'll put the MCI up for sale unless I need it as a prop. Until then gimmie that smelly oxide.
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by adamcal
Yes there are lots of small studio in own town, and there always have been, a lot come and go. guys like us who have been there for a long time will outlast them all.

Just a thought, since I have tape and you dont, and you have Pro Tools and I dont, there could be times when we could help each other out. we should meet up sometime. (and wiggy- who ever he is ;-)).

want to ask you about the API.
Yeah cool Adam we should catch up soon.
Wiggy was thinking of selling his API quad.. Might want to PM him and see if he still has it..Funny we always talk gear here, but the first question I get asked by clients is price... Thinking about it I have not been asked about if I had Tape for a while. Cubase/Logic a lot lately for people who want to mix there home recording projects at a studio. So should I buy cubase instead
Old 30th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I use both. I track to an Otari 16 track (only 1" of analogue love - but enough for me) and then dump into PT. I have my system set up so that the musician will monitor from PT, record to tape and then dump into PT from the record heads all at the same time. You record with the 125ms delay, but that's the beauty of PT - a few clicks and its back in time. One of the greatest things about PT is that fact that you don't have to rewind. now, I just set the tape machine on 00.00.00 and let it go for 15 minutes. No rewinding when there is a screw up on the 1st note, just stop PT and hit record again. The tape doesn't have to stop. For me, its the best of both worlds - the analogue sound with the digital editing capabilities and no rewinding!
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I do 5-6 major label records a year and 80% of them get tracked to analog, and eventually mixed through an analog console from some form of digital- these days usually PTHD. During basic tracks, many times there are 2 formats running. I like the film/video tape analogy.
Old 1st May 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
2" to Radar Nyquist or PTHD for editing through 9098i to ATR102 1" or digital almost every time, sounds great. I gotta have the 2" for those basics...

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 1st May 2003
Riffer

🎧 15 years
Oooooh Ted! You have got me seriously drooling! 2" 16 track perhaps? Through a RADAR Nyquist and a 9098i? That is enough to turn me into a serious gear slut!
Old 1st May 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks Lee,

Yes, it's a JH-24, 2" 16 track in mint condition that belonged to John Williams(the composer). I don't think it was ever used much. I got it from Mike Spitz when I got the 1". It sounds great! I'm still learning the desk but thus far I'm very happy. Calling it "clean" is an understatement. I need the 2" for color. I've never seen headroom like this, it doesn't even begin to shut down until you get above plus 28 on the mix buss. The SLAM! is about the only thing I've found that can survive there.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 1st May 2003
Riffer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by drummerman15
One of the greatest things about PT is that fact that you don't have to rewind.
Yeah a lot of vocalists especially love that. Me, I've always loved the sound of rewinding tape coming through the cans or monitors. Gets me all geared up for the next take.
Old 1st May 2003
Riffer

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by OKden
I like the film/video tape analogy.
Me too!

I think, similarly to film and videotape (not to mention tube guitar amps and such), what happens over time is that the supposed technical imperfections of a medium often become themselves part of the art, because people learn to do creative things with them. Electric guitar became a creative instrument in its own right as soon as guitarists stopped thinking in terms of it being a plugged-in acoustic. Amp and pickup technology was so "primitive" at that time that the electric guitar failed miserably at being a substitute for an acoustic - but musicians soon learned to actually use that distortion in their favor and do things with the guitar that hadn't been done. Now, if you put a "perfectly clean" amp and pickup into many a rock guitarist's hands they'd think it just sounded sterile and sucky. heh Of course, there ARE still acoustic players, and clean sounding electroacoustics/amps which are mainly used by jazz players. It's all good and nobody puts down guitarists who prefer tube amps.

Of course the same thing happened with film - filmmakers learned to use the inherent imperfections in film to do incredibly beautiful and artistic things that you just can't do with video. Again, not that both are not valid media for different purposes and different people.

One thing that's interesting about analog tape and multitrack recording, is that its evolution very closely paralleled the evolution of rock'n'roll. Analog and multitrack matured at the same time at at pretty much the same pace as rock did. You could say they grew up together and influenced each other's development, whereas to jazz and classical recordists, tape was simply a flawed way to reproduce their already mature art and therefore they're elated with digital for the most part.

So to many people's ears, analog and rock'n'roll are totally married to each other and those who've engineered rock on tape have totally resonated with the medium. We just love the way tape squishes things, have learned to tweak the various decks and tape types to suit the form much like filmmakers do. We don't want the "perfect" recording medium, any more than Jimmy Page wants a clean solid state guitar amp.

That doesn't mean you can't make exciting rock music on digital, or that nothing digital will ever be invented in the future that will give us analog-heads the same warm fuzzies. But meanwhile there's nothing in the world wrong with using the tools and processes that get you off, nor with letting gear manufacturers know why it gets you off. I KNOW that if I set up an old Ampex 2" 16 track at +9 and beat the hell out of it, it's going to give me the most exciting electric guitar and drum sounds I could hope for. Even if its designers would cringe at such a thing. heh
Old 1st May 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
What kind of 2" tape is everyone using? Any particular preferences?

Ampex 456 any good?

Thanks
Boopaul
Old 1st May 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
tape preferences

Sounds like a good topic for a poll! Stay tuned...
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
For me there is no answer.... every tape has a sound of it's own. And even that varies depending on width, speed, and machine. Over time you get a pretty good idea of what the strengths and weaknesses of each tape are.

I try to let the music make the decision.
πŸ“ Reply