Quantcast
OutBoard Delays with DAW? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OutBoard Delays with DAW?
Old 27th April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
OutBoard Delays with DAW?

With all the Plug-ins delays available in DAW packages; besides cutting down the DSP loading, do you guys find outboard delays necessary?

I am kind of chosing between TC 2290 or the D-two or Yamaha D5000.

Any user suggestions?

As I am probably getting the KSP-8 later, does this unit come with any dedicated delays as one would find in the units above?

Thanks in advance

Rainchild
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have an old Korg SDD-3000, and a little analog delay pedal that I use frequently when I mix... just because they sound immediately different. The analog box is obvious, but set the (digital) Korg at 37ms and it somehow sounds much sweeter than a straight plugin delay at the same settings. Sometimes I just have that sound in mind when I go looking for a delay effect. And there are some things that are just completely inimitable, like the Cooper Time Cube.

Yet, in many cases, the ease of recall and flexible sonics of plugin delays (adding filters, or distortion especially) is plenty of reason to leave the outboard alone... Also, on the "less use of outboard" front, I demoed EchoFarm last year and really liked it.. It's on my list to buy this year..

The 2290 is a hugely fun box, an old favorite. I'd be amazed if the KSP8 didn't have some standard delay fx to tweak with. Also, I think there's a well regarded hardware version of EchoFarm out there, and if you scour Pro Audio Marketplace or ebay, you should be able to find an old Sony DPS-D7, which is a very nice box.

-dave
Old 27th April 2003
Founder

ANYTHING that "cheats the computer" is cool in my book.

All those mentioned sound like big fun..

SPDIF i/o rocks...
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: OutBoard Delays with DAW?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rainchild
With all the Plug-ins delays available in DAW packages; besides cutting down the DSP loading, do you guys find outboard delays necessary?
yes ... very necessary. although I use both plugins and outboard for delay, the plugins get used during tracking ... as an easy and very fast way to have a reference. And they're handy to switch between projects and have that complete 'no hassle' total recall feeling.

But usually only during tracking. for outboard delays in the mixing stage I'll use L960 and sys6k.

Outboard beats plugins hands down for reverbs and delays imho.
Old 27th April 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
I think everything has its place. The TC2290 is an excellent box... if you've the chance for one at a good price, I don't think you'd ever regret having one. It's also worth looking out for a Roland SDE330.

For plug-ins, I think EchoFarm (TDM) and PSP's Lexicon 484 (VST) are genuinely good processors... I also use an old Boss analogue guitar pedal which is great for feedback-into-mush tricks.
Old 27th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
In my rack for delays I have:(2)PCM42,(2)PCM41,
(2)TC2290,SDE3000,SDE330,Space Echo,(2)Symetrix 606,KorgDL8000R,(2)Echoplexes,YamahaD5000,(2)Sony D7

They all do different things well.

Outboard delay is still very useful. In the box, the standard PT DelayII works fine.
Old 27th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anybody had the chance to use the TC D-Two? The thing that intrigues me about that unit is the rhythm tap feature.

from TC site:
"Not only tempo, but actual rhythm patterns can be tapped directly - or quantized according to a specific tempo and subdivision. The delays and rhythm patterns can be up to 10 seconds each. Control the exact number of repeats with Absolute Repeat Control."

I could use the hell out of that. A big drawback would be if the box sounds kinda pro-sumer. Then I'm staying away.

So who has used one?
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the TC, the roland space echo (with tapes), the echoplex, Lex PCM-42, Delta ...

but I must say I'm floored by some pluggin like the ohmboyz delay ...

malice
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Anybody had the chance to use the TC D-Two? The thing that intrigues me about that unit is the rhythm tap feature.

from TC site:
"Not only tempo, but actual rhythm patterns can be tapped directly - or quantized according to a specific tempo and subdivision. The delays and rhythm patterns can be up to 10 seconds each. Control the exact number of repeats with Absolute Repeat Control."

I could use the hell out of that. A big drawback would be if the box sounds kinda pro-sumer. Then I'm staying away.

So who has used one?

I have a D-Two and I love it. There's nothing consumer about it, it's a pro box. But it has to be tweeked, the factory presets are rather blah, IMO. The tap-able pattern delay is really a life saver (anyone who's ever tryed to put a heavy vocal delay on a song that swings knows why this feature is cool). Another great D-Two feature is dynamic delay, like on the famed 2290. This is where you can have the delay light while the singer is singing, but go nuts between phrases, etc.

It has a lot of good parameters, but I wish it offered more control of the ping-pong mode. Right now it only has L-C-R, L-R, and Dynamic (random, but I don't like the way that one sounds). Still, even at nearly $500 for "just a delay", I'm happy with it.

Of course, I like everything TC Electronic makes by default. Their gear makes me do this more than any other company.
Old 28th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax

from TC site:

So who has used one?
Hey Jax,

Its not a bad box. It just didn't impress me enough to make my rack. One thing it ain't is a 2290.

It can be useful though in the right applications.
Old 28th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I like the:
Roland RE-201 Space Echo
Yamaha D-5000
Roland SDE-3000
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax

from TC site:

So who has used one?
i like it very much and i use it often, because i can get very complex rhythm structures out of it and weird stuff is also easily done with it.

for "normal" delays i use pt delay or in the "analogue" domain my good ol' dp4.

regards deft:::
Old 29th April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice 'Akira' avatar, bonz.

Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

i love these dark future genetic mutants mankind is dying stuff.

regards deft:::
Old 29th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As I am probably getting the KSP-8 later, does this unit come with any dedicated delays as one would find in the units above?
The KSP8 has some very cool delays - very good echoplex loop delay simulations, tap delay, tape echos, slap, .... just about everything
πŸ“ Reply