The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pros and cons of 2" --> The Poll
View Poll Results: Which fit your thoughts about 2"? Multiple answers are possible...
I use when I can because I like the sound
27 Votes - 54.00%
I don't use it because I don't like the sound
2 Votes - 4.00%
I like the sound but prefer not to use it because of convenience issues
10 Votes - 20.00%
I never use tape because it's slow and inconvenient
4 Votes - 8.00%
I often don't use it due to the cost of tape
14 Votes - 28.00%
I rarely record/mix at studios that have analog tape machines
13 Votes - 26.00%
I like to record with it but prefer to mix from digital
14 Votes - 28.00%
I prefer to record AND mix with it (no DAW stage)
13 Votes - 26.00%
2" tape is an obsolete format
4 Votes - 8.00%
The 2" tape format will be around for a long time to come
16 Votes - 32.00%
2" tape is an excellent long-term archive format
15 Votes - 30.00%
Availability of 2" tape may be an issue in the future
15 Votes - 30.00%
I can get better sound with a DAW than with 2"
5 Votes - 10.00%
Tape seems cool but I just don't have enough experience with it
7 Votes - 14.00%
It's no longer necessary for up and coming engineers/assistants to know 2" tape
5 Votes - 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th April 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Pros and cons of 2" --> The Poll

Let's hear from you!
Old 28th April 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
17 replies so far...hey everyone, whether you use tape or not, please take a minute to give your thoughts...

Old 30th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I use tape because I think it sounds more like music to my ears. I also like the idea of focusing on playing. So many engineers that are into this micro-editing thing don't even worry about a good take, they just manufacture one. I'm very proud of the fact that I can make players play better than they thought they could.
Old 1st May 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Oh how I agree Tony...

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 1st May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
So many engineers that are into this micro-editing thing don't even worry about a good take, they just manufacture one. I'm very proud of the fact that I can make players play better than they thought they could.
well thats the engineer abusing the medium... but i am proud of the fact that i can make players play better than they actually can. to the end listener, who the **** even cares? they sure as hell dont. its all about if the music moves them or not.

im glad there is music like Aphex Twin which microedits the **** out of things. i think its cool that DJ Shadow can make a whole ****ing album with one turntable, a bunch of vinyl, and a mpc2k and thats it.

the recording medium doesnt mean DICK.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
well thats the engineer abusing the medium... but i am proud of the fact that i can make players play better than they actually can. to the end listener, who the **** even cares? they sure as hell dont. its all about if the music moves them or not.

--For every digital guy like you there 1,000 who work the other way.

Quote:
im glad there is music like Aphex Twin which microedits the **** out of things. i think its cool that DJ Shadow can make a whole ****ing album with one turntable, a bunch of vinyl, and a mpc2k and thats it.
--There are very cool things that are exceptionsto the rule.

Quote:
the recording medium doesnt mean DICK.
--The music is the most important thing. But the medium, and the tools DO matter.
Old 1st May 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
I think that 2" tape is particularly beneficial for acoustic music, particularly stuff based on vox+guitars+bass+drums.

Having said that, Dr. Dre's productions are the biggest-sounding of the rap world (imho) and one part of that might be his use of 2" (and real musicians and good engineers/studios).

If I were doing a DJ Shadow album, I wouldn't see much point in using tape either. The appeal/added value of that kind of production is elsewhere.
Old 1st May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
229 views and only 41 votes.

C'mon people, we need more responses than this.
Old 1st May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
--For every digital guy like you there 1,000 who work the other way.

--The music is the most important thing. But the medium, and the tools DO matter.
i think you have that backwards. for every analog person, there are a thousand digital guys.

and i'd say the engineer matters more than the tools. its been proven in EVERY other artistic field.... i cant imagine music being exempt from that rule. give an amateur a pro camera and give a pro a point and shoot camera and the pro will ALWAYS take better pictures every single time. not only does the pro know how to compose the shot but also how to make the most of the medium they are working with. the amateur does not.

what seperates the men from the boys [as it were] is not WHAT compressor, eq, or medium they record but HOW they record using the tools given.
Old 1st May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Having said that, Dr. Dre's productions are the biggest-sounding of the rap world (imho) and one part of that might be his use of 2" (and real musicians and good engineers/studios).
his stuff is so sample laiden its ridiculous... there is better than dre btw. i'd rather hear outkasts aquemeni any day of the week over dre's stuff. or even the beastie boys laying down live stuff.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by crispy
229 views and only 41 votes.

C'mon people, we need more responses than this.
I dunno.. Many of the poll questions would seem to warrant a "true/false" answer... or the poll selections contain a presupposition I don't agree with. It's a strange poll, but a good discussion.

For example

I do like tape because of the sound, I do not find it slow and inconvenient, I don't think it's an obsolete format but I do think it may be "endangered" in the long term, I do often prefer working with a DAW, but not really to avoid "convenience issues" with tape, I do not think it's an excellent long-term archive format (talk to my snackmaster pro and the stacks of shedding 456 waiting to be baked), I don't think I can get "better" sound with either tape or digital... just different, and I do think that up and coming engineers/assistants would benefit from knowing 2" tape.

-dave
Old 2nd May 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Bump to the top for more votes!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…