The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1176 into an LA-2A
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led ➡️
To the OP I usually go the other way round, LA2A>1176.
...i see most people on this thread prefer 1176>LA2A.

since LA2A has a slower attack than 1176, wouldn't it be logical to go LA2 first and let the 1176 get the peaks afterward? that's how i've visualized that combo. FWIW when i track, 99% of the time it's voice into LA2 at conservative levels, and deal with anything else at mix time. haven't used the 1176 on voice for awhile. <edit> just used the 1176 on lead vox on a mix today that was tracked on an LA2A. nice edge, worked great.

cool thread.
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
Hope that made sense...I haven't eaten breakfast yet and I'm a bit...(Tony, where's the emoticon for pre-caffeinated?)

heh
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 ➡️
my question is, is there a good setting to start with for both units? again, this is for a lead vocal chain.
Set the 76 for light peak-limiting and use the LA for track leveling. I love this chain and use it frequently.

(However, I don't have a real LA-2A -- my humble studio has an LA-610 which also provides superb results used this way.)
Old 16th June 2009 | Show parent
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
I guess everyone has their own thing, and it would probably depend on how their units sound. When I'm using serial compression , most of the time I prefer to stagger them in reverse order of attack time. I am generally going for a smoother sound with lead vocals, but that is my thing. If I was going rockier I would probaly use the LA3A'a as mentioned or even 2254's in series (although they are welded to my backing vocals buss).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_bunny ➡️
Thanks for making this forum your personal garbage can.fuuck
hi,

gee willickers, friendly friend, you should read the topic of this post [printed below for your convenience, with emphasis added] for an example of using this forum as a garbage can.

have you noticed that half the posts are from people who are too lazy to get off their fat asses and try something for themselves, or even listen to their own equipment, or from people who just want to list their gear for people to "comment on"?

that's what i call trashing the forum. having to wade through hundreds of topics of people who are unable to make even the simplest decision on their own without checking with a bunch of other people who also can't make a decision on their own.

think about it. "what order should i put my two compressors in?" for real? how about you stand up, unglue yourself from your computer, stand up, walk across the room, and plug them in both ways and answer that seemingly unfathomable question for yourself. and in this case, its software compressors [no need to even unglue from the computer].

if potential clients are reading these forums .................... huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 ➡️
I've read that a bunch of people like this signal chain for vocals. I'm messing around with it with uad plugs and dig the general vibe (I know, I know, plugs!).

my question is, is there a good setting to start with for both units? again, this is for a lead vocal chain.

I realize settings will change dependent on what I'm feeding it and what kind of vibe I'm looking for, but just wondered if there was a semi-magic starting point.

thanks.

oto
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 ➡️
Ah I see, so you're nothing more than a sarcastic ass with nothing of substance to contribute, as I originally suspected.

Carry on.
hi,

why are you being so nice to me? i'm not letting you back into the contest.

but you can still sign up for the next one [sadly, there is still no actual prize].

right.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oky**** ➡️
hi,

gee willickers, friendly friend, you should read the topic of this post [printed below for your convenience, with emphasis added] for an example of using this forum as a garbage can.

have you noticed that half the posts are from people who are too lazy to get off their fat asses and try something for themselves, or even listen to their own equipment, or from people who just want to list their gear for people to "comment on"?

that's what i call trashing the forum. having to wade through hundreds of topics of people who are unable to make even the simplest decision on their own without checking with a bunch of other people who also can't make a decision on their own.

think about it. "what order should i put my two compressors in?" for real? how about you stand up, unglue yourself from your computer, stand up, walk across the room, and plug them in both ways and answer that seemingly unfathomable question for yourself. and in this case, its software compressors [no need to even unglue from the computer].

if potential clients are reading these forums .................... huh?
I'm glad I don't have to come home to you every night.

anyway, I don't have to defend why I asked my question, as I know it's a legitimate one. more so I wanted to thank educators here who actually chimed in with helpful tips, and of course to make sure you are aware that you are an asshole.

oto

and for the record, I bet your ass is waaaaaaaaaay fatter than mine.
D K
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
hi,

but you can still sign up for the next one [sadly, there is still no actual prize].

right.

Are you for real??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K ➡️
Are you for real??

hi,

what do you think?

right.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
we were mixing a tune today. bass was originally tracked through an 1176 and we tried it today with TSL3, Anamod 660 and LA2A. our pick was LA2A winning slightly over TSL3, in that tune, in that context.

so time to eat my words. if it weren't because of this thread i may not have even have suggested the LA2. GS at it's best. thanks OP!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hi,

...have you noticed that half the posts are from people who are too lazy to get off their fat asses and try something for themselves, or even listen to their own equipment, or from people who just want to list their gear for people to "comment on"?

People like to discuss gear, technique, etc... plus, asking may present a concept behind the technique that the OP may have been trying to understand. There's lots of reasons to ask.

You know, if you keep up the oddball, fly in the ointment act, this will never change:
Attached Thumbnails
1176 into an LA-2A-picture-3.png  
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
hi,

right.
Congrats, your uselessness just qualified you for my ignore list. Bye.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led ➡️
Helpful answer that is. Chris do you own either of the pieces you profess to know all about? The actual hardware, not the plugins. And no, making coffee in a studio once for an afternoon that has them does not qualify you, sorry. Please get some real experience instead of regurgitating what you read on the internut.
Ouch....!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To be honest in my case with the LA-2a is more than enough when it comes to vocals, i've tried that chain and its good but i think its a bit too much, the only times i use the 1176 on vocals is when i have very "agressive" vocals, if you wanna call it that way. Stuff like rock, metal or whatever benefits from a 1176 to LA2 on vocals, but i mostly do pop and 90% of the time the LA2 alone will do the job. Thats just my humble opinion
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If I chain these two it tends to be La2a into 1176... the La2a baskets the dynamics in a natural way; the 1176 adds a little hair and squeeze to the peaks. The other way around works too but sounds slightly different. I usually have the first comp doing most of the work and second comp accenting. Works both in UAD and hardware land... go easy on the GR... it's easy to overdo it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another approach that works really well (or better depending on what you are going for) is Mike Caffrey's two stage compression technique. You use two compressors. The first you set up as parallel compression and adjust gain reduction for softer passages. If you have a compressor with a wet/dry mix control then this is very easy to do. The second compressor you place in series and set to only respond on the louder passages. Let’s say you use this technique on a vocalist. The idea is that the 1st compressor will react to the soft passage dynamics and be the dominant sound. But then when the vocalist gets loud the dry signal be much louder than the output of the first compressor which is probably slamming the needle over. These louder passages will cause the second compressor to react. The benefit to doing it like this is that you can have each compressor working in its sweet spot and producing much less gain reduction than if they were trying to react to the full dynamic range on their own.

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➡️

heh
This is why I declared him the Emoticon King.

It's not a title I throw around lightly.
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Ot! shame about the thread.

I like the following:

Grabby vocals with a lot of dynamics. 1176 first 4 or 8:1, set to 6 and 6 on speed. Vary to taste. Grabs the loudest bits and adds that air. 1176 has such a slow release that I like it as quick as it can go on vocals. Attack is a thing of danger.

LA2A after to soak up all the little bits and add some 3rd harmonic. 2-3dB.

Other times I like the 1176s on vocals and stack them into a buss which has an LA2A on it. Glue em together.

1176 with LA2A in parallel is great too on things that need to fill a space in the mix.

I sometimes like the LA2A on kick with a 76 in parallel. Love what the 76 adds to a kick in parallel.

Saying that, there are other comps I prefer for vocals...

If you have a UAD, try out that Precision Buss comp on a vocal it's magic.

-Tom
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74
I've read that a bunch of people like this signal chain for vocals. I'm messing around with it with uad plugs and dig the general vibe (I know, I know, plugs!).

I realize settings will change dependent on what I'm feeding it and what kind of vibe I'm looking for, but just wondered if there was a semi-magic starting point.

thanks.

oto
Oto,

One thing I have not seen mentioned in the thread is the possibility of the 1176 being used as a mic pre (obviously, this would be the hardware unit, not the plug-in). It wasn't clear to me from your original post whether you were asking about serial compression or not, but see if the context fits as it may have something to do with what you have read.
Old 17th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️

since LA2A has a slower attack than 1176, wouldn't it be logical to go LA2 first and let the 1176 get the peaks afterward?
You have to go with whatever sounds best to you. For me, I like the 1176 first for light peak limiting before going into the opto compressor. It yields a smoother sound (to my ears).

Ya see, if I go through the opto first instead, those (unlimited) peaks cause the compressor to clamp down too hard and over-shoot, causing too much compression on the signal immediately following each compressed peak. Because when those peaks pass the threshold and the compressor kicks in, the compressor doesn't just knock down the offending peaks, it knocks down everything that follows -- until the compressor fully releases. I can hear this happening (especially with my Joe Meek compressor), and the track easily sounds over-compressed -- and I still don't get the EVEN leveling I need. There's too much compression here, not enough compression there, too much here, not enough there, etc.

So I limit first, and therefore the second compressor (the opto) receives a more controlled signal and doesn't have to clamp so hard, and gives me a more transparent level control. Because instead of just reacting to the peaks, the second compressor is now reacting to the "meat" of each note.

But if your ears like it better the other way, go for it!
TRW
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thats my reasoning for putting the 76 first too.

You know what also works well.

UA Precision Limiter first to clamp dynamic range, bring that out of your DAW into a smooth comp that can work less hard, riding the waveform.

Keeps it present. Gets the best level out of your DAC and generally sounds cool.

I see a lot of guys doing similar with ITB boxes, L1 first followed by BF660? Wasn't that a pensado chain for Christina?

-T
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy ➡️
asking may present a concept behind the technique that the OP may have been trying to understand.
nail on the head, and I do appreciate the members who understood the reasoning behind the question and chimed in with the helpful tips, many of which are in practice as I type.

go gearslutz go!

oto

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➡️
This is why I declared him the Emoticon King.

It's not a title I throw around lightly.

heh
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just throwing my method into the ring,

I use a mod'ed LA-4 at 1:4 with a peak db reduction no more than -10 then into a LA-12 at 1:6 also with a peak db reduction no more than -10. The thresholds are adjusted accordingly to the material.

I have the UA plug-ins of the LA-2A/1176, but I have not thought of trying them in series until I read this thread… I shall give it a whirl.
Old 18th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
1176 first, then LA2A

my favorite settings for thick, smooth sounding vocals -- (obviously not for all styles of vocals and not for all styles of music)

try 4:1 ratio on the 1176 giving about 3-5 db compression (with medium to slow release to match the attack of the LA2A) then light 1-2 db compression from the LA2A just to smooth it out and turn up the gain knob to add a bit more color.

hope you like it, if not do what most people do, just turn knobs till it sounds good!
Old 18th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
ok so im drunk right now and Tony Belmont's posts make me laugh on a regular basis..

just saying...they're limiting me to 10 emoticons ...bogus...
Old 20th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

heh
Haha... love it.
Old 21st June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1176 into LA3A.

nice
Old 21st June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Tony, look over there, isn't that Keith Richards?
📝 Reply