Quantcast
Bottom Snare rattle thru tom mics - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bottom Snare rattle thru tom mics
Old 13th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not to hijack here, but do you guyes allways EQ the top and bottom mic equally or different?

I tend to eq equally, just adding a little top with a colored eq...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom
Not to hijack here, but do you guyes allways EQ the top and bottom mic equally or different?

I tend to eq equally, just adding a little top with a colored eq...
About 90% of the time these days, I mic the shell of the snare with an SM57. I seem to get the best crack, and pitter-patter out of it that way. Metal shelled snares sometimes are too ringy when you mic the shell and there are a lot of other varibles but in general, mic'ing the shell works best IME so I start there.

When I do a top/bot or even shell/bot, yes- I treat each differently almost all the time. Good mic choice/placement should reduce the amount of treatment needed. When top/bot, I'm usually looking for 300hertz thunk or 800hertz knock on the top and 7K psht on the bot. One of those "depends" situations, but those are some common starting points to look at.
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I have had some success with placing moving blankets between the offending tom(s) and the snare. Just kind of bunch 'em up between them and try it.

I like the sound myself, sounds like a snare to me! But some tunings in some rooms can make it excessive.

War
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
The quick and dirty, very non-purist method of removing some of the sympathetic snare rattle on tom hits that has worked well for me is to place two or three layers of toilet paper (preferably unused!) under just the two outside snare wires. The toilet paper resting on the remaining snare wires seems to have the effect of just dampening the sympathetic rattle enough without killing the tone of the snare. It's crude but can be effective. I liken to using moon-gel on the toms. Quite handy when pressed for time and unable to do things the correct way.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue
About 90% of the time these days, I mic the shell of the snare with an SM57. I seem to get the best crack, and pitter-patter out of it that way. Metal shelled snares sometimes are too ringy when you mic the shell and there are a lot of other varibles but in general, mic'ing the shell works best IME so I start there.
I've heard about this but never tried it - I must give it a go some time... When you mic the shell, are you just micing the middle of the shell? Is the mic pointing straight at the center? How far away? I'm doing hard rock - what kind of styles does this work best with?

cheers,

matt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by murp
I've heard about this but never tried it - I must give it a go some time... When you mic the shell, are you just micing the middle of the shell? Is the mic pointing straight at the center? How far away? I'm doing hard rock - what kind of styles does this work best with?

cheers,

matt
Dive right in.

The main thing I think you'll need to watch if you are doing hard rock/metal is for excessive hat bleed if the drummer is a basher, which seems more common in metal/punk/hardrock. If it's a deal breaker, I'll put some cut up plumer's copper tube isolation of the mic (be careful for comb filtering madness here) to shield the mic's capsule from the hat. I start about 5 inches away from the shell pointed directly in the center of the drum. It should instantly sound more like what the snare sounds like in the studio, which is my ultimate goal when I track drums. Since you are not dealing with extra micage, you'll have less Ø issues to deal with as a bonus.

If you are working with commitment-shy clients, I suggest bottom mic'ing 'just in case' (in which case I usually break out the IBP's). Please, post how it worked out for you. Now that I've gone totally off topic, I'll retire to hell to play pingpong with my fellow GOP'ers.
📝 Reply