Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
dbx 566 compressor

any good?
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
A little twitchy and uncontrolable for me, I have never been comfortable with mine, unusual attack and release control markings, first 10 dB of reduction on the meter jammed into a tiny space, very avarage tube preamp stage and like other modern DBX stuff the front panel lettering rubs off if touched. The final insult was being informed by DBX that they have NO calibration data available for ANY of their gear, not even their service centres can trim the unit up, it must go back to the factory.
The compressor is useful for messing with stuff, but not for much else, overall I am disappointed with all of the modern DBX gear I have, I would put it right up there with Bellari and ART as far as quality and sound go. Not the company they once were...
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
That's funny, I've got a 566 calibration sheet right here in my hand. Also, ALL dbx service centers are able to cal the 566, or else they wouldn't be dbx service centers.

Would you like the cal procedure in .pdf format? E-mail me if you would like to proceed.
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi Tom, I wish I had been put through to you when I contacted DBX, I spoke to two people, the first guy said that he thought there was no procedure available, and put me through to someone else who was very helpful and apologetic, saying that one of the senior engineers in the company had begun to do cal procedures for one of their products, and would eventually maybe produce them for other units.
When I asked how service centres were supposed to calibrate the units BOTH people I spoke to said that the calibration could only be performed on DBX's test bed and needed to be returned to the factory and both apologised about this.
One of these gentlemen gave me his name and phone extension number and said that if I called back in a month or two he would try and find something for me. He was very helpful.
Since then I have sold my 586, although it was OK because I do not want equipment in my studio that I cannot service in-house or at least in-city, I still have the 566 because it is useful although not in stereo because the L&R channels have drifted a little which is what started the whole calibration issue.
As for the 566 itself I am disapointed in some aspects of it as I mentioned, notwithstanding my respect for the design behind it with regards average and peak detection as employed by DBX.
My comment about the front panel markings still stands though, both of these units, and indeed some I have seen on diplay in stores are prone to lettering coming off on your fingers when you turn a pot or push a switch. As I have pointed out in another post too I find having to roll an FX rack out and crawl behind it each time I want to turn it on or off because the power switch is on the rear of all places truly annoying, as is the moniker "Dual Vacuum Tube Compressor" printed on the front panel when there is NO vacuum tube at all in the compression circuit, just a bunch of surface mount stuff. It is a solid state compressor. I would not have expected such deception from a company of this calibre.
My experience with modern DBX gear has left me disillusioned as you can probably tell from my original post. You may have a calibration procedure in your hand, but my international telephone call left me with nothing but a vague apology that thing aren't really the same since the Harmon thing, and wondering if it was worth spending the money on international shipping to have someone adjust some pots. This is the face of DBX as experienced by me the consumer who saved long and hard to buy this stuff.
Old 11th May 2003
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: dbx 566 compressor

Quote:
Originally posted by lowswing
any good?
Nope
๐Ÿ“ Reply