Quantcast
Otari Status feedback anyone? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Otari Status feedback anyone?
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Otari Status feedback anyone?

Anyone familiar with this board? What do you think. Thanks.
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Search the past threads.
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Search the past threads.
I did search the past threads first. Came up with three useless responses for me.

From what I read thrill, you don't like it compared to a couple others. Thats fine. I was looking for specific feedback on this board alone. I should have been more specific and said "feedback from someone who has hands on familiarity with it for more than a day or two."

Bring it on!
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
I did search the past threads first. Came up with three useless responses for me.

From what I read thrill, you don't like it compared to a couple others. Thats fine. I was looking for specific feedback on this board alone. I should have been more specific and said "feedback from someone who has hands on familiarity with it for more than a day or two."

Bring it on!
What do you want to hear?

If i spent one day or a year on it, it doesn't mean that I can't get a feel for it.

To me it sounded like a digital board in an "analog"clothing.

It lacks headroom, the dynamics and EQ's are screechy. The pre's are Mackie like(and I am tlaking early Mackie).The automation was pretty easy to learn.

Is it a Euphonix? NO.

To me was it worth the $50K or $65K guys spent on them when they were first released? Hell NO.

Hey I know some of those guys that are still paying off those leases and their studios have since closed down.

Look in this business, you get what you pay for. This aspect has not changed. If you want a total recall analog console, than the pickings are slim. Especially when you want great pre's,EQ's,dynamics and automation...for a cheap price(look at the Digitally controlled Harrison console still going for close to $80K).

Corners will be cut. They do it to get it under a certain price point.

The closest console I've seen that has some strong points with not too many corner cuts is the Amek Media 51. The strong points are the pre's and EQ's(Neve) and its automation/surround. The weak points are the dynamics(virtual) and ergonomics(EQ knobs are really small). The headroom is nice, not great, but its enough to do some good mixes. And its not that expensive.

Just an opinion.
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't need a total recall board. I really just wanted to know if it sounded good. Sounds like you have a pretty strong opinion. I could pick one up that was paid $100k for, for around 20k-30k and didn't know if it was worth looking at. Sounds like I should pass maybe.

It's all matter of opinion, but I wanted something with more a trident or neve sound in that 20-30 price range. I've been keeping up with a few threads that have touched on this but have found nothing definitive that would sway me one way or the other.

I was thinking maybe an 80C as my PT HD front end and back end summing console...??
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
I don't need a total recall board. I really just wanted to know if it sounded good. Sounds like you have a pretty strong opinion. I could pick one up that was paid $100k for, for around 20k-30k and didn't know if it was worth looking at. Sounds like I should pass maybe.

It's all matter of opinion, but I wanted something with more a trident or neve sound in that 20-30 price range. I've been keeping up with a few threads that have touched on this but have found nothing definitive that would sway me one way or the other.

I was thinking maybe an 80C as my PT HD front end and back end summing console...??
Hey JHO,

20K-30K for an Otari Status is too much.

Have you ever mixed on a Trident or a Neve?

To want the sound is one thing, mixing on one is another.

I gather you are tracking/mixing rock?

How many tracks are you hitting the board with? Will you be using lots of effects? Are you into doing tricks like multi-bussing and parallel compression? Will you be mixing your own or other people's music also?Will you be using it everyday?12hours?24hours?

You gotta consider all of these things when buying a console. I know for me they would be important.

Maybe you have and I just repeating the same things, but when buying a vintage console(Neve or Trident) maintance becomes and issue. Especially if you are to be running it for a lot of hours a day. Finding good techs near where you are located is a good idea. They can give you the low down on the consoles.

Hey I hope you don't feel I am trying to discourage you. I am just trying to give you things to consider that's all.

Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho

Well... That's a pretty serious commitment.

IMHO, our 80B works great for the usage you describe. OTOH, be prepared to kiss your 'Total Recallability' GOODBYE!!! (unless you use plugs for everything and just push the faders to unity for summing)...

If you're just looking for a front end / rear end with some attitude, you may want to check out a Spider front / SMC2B rear end, instead. Lots less money, NEW, much easier intergration, etc.

But if you just gotta have a console, you could give Chick @ Atlanta Audio a ring... He seems to have a handle on every Trident in the SE. Perhaps because he sold most of them new! When we picked ours up he also had a HUGE Neotek Elite that was dropping in price daily!

Be prepared to be 'down and out' for a while (while you solder tuchels and harnesses and check patchpoints and opamps and oh my!!! ETC...) You've at least got a good tech down the street in Athens (Chick can hook you up with him or PM me), so you're fortunate in that respect.

Again, it's a BIG commitment, but overall, we've been very pleased with ours. YMMV
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey JHO,
Have you ever mixed on a Trident or a Neve? I gather you are tracking/mixing rock?

How many tracks are you hitting the board with? Will you be using lots of effects? Are you into doing tricks like multi-bussing and parallel compression? Will you be mixing your own or other people's music also?Will you be using it everyday?12hours?24hours?

You gotta consider all of these things when buying a console. I know for me they would be important.

Maybe you have and I just repeating the same things, but when buying a vintage console(Neve or Trident) maintance becomes and issue. Especially if you are to be running it for a lot of hours a day. Finding good techs near where you are located is a good idea. They can give you the low down on the consoles.

Hey I hope you don't feel I am trying to discourage you. I am just trying to give you things to consider that's all.

Yes I've mixed on an 80C w/ Uptown automation and flying faders. However I'm primarily wanting to use it on tracking into PT and summing out, I'll recall from there then when summing it will be unity on the faders (maybe a bump here / there on mixdown) maybe some slight tweeking on eq but not difficult to recall that. Maybe the big board is overkill but I want a great sound in/out and want faders and such for tracking thru. Yes rock, pop, dance, etc.

I'm not discouraged. It's for my private studio however it will be used probably 8-12 hrs a day everyday. This is my job so it does neet to be reliable.

Maintenance is important. I currently have a C24 for faders and everything else outboard. I will keep something, either this or something smaller to automate fader and mutes. Everything else I am usually flying around on the trackball doing faster than I could with C24 buttons.
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
If you're just looking for a front end / rear end with some attitude, you may want to check out a Spider front / SMC2B rear end, instead. Lots less money, NEW, much easier intergration, etc.

But if you just gotta have a console, you could give Chick @ Atlanta Audio a ring... He seems to have a handle on every Trident in the SE. Perhaps because he sold most of them new! When we picked ours up he also had a HUGE Neotek Elite that was dropping in price daily!

Be prepared to be 'down and out' for a while (while you solder tuchels and harnesses and check patchpoints and opamps and oh my!!! ETC...) You've at least got a good tech down the street in Athens (Chick can hook you up with him or PM me), so you're fortunate in that respect.

Again, it's a BIG commitment, but overall, we've been very pleased with ours. YMMV
Blackcat...yeah I'm not sure if the spider front end will cut it for me i like having more faders

And funny, I've known Chick for almost 20 years. I was just in his store yesterday. We've had several conversations about my direction. He has a Trident 90 in stock but that thing must have been used as a bed too...it's pretty trashed lookin. Plus it's more a monster than I want/need. He's looking around for me. I'm still batting ideas around too. And Brian Rainwater is that wiring guy you're talking about I think. He did my last studio.

SO what exactly are u using your 80b for? do you have a link? Thanks for the info!heh
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
Yes I've mixed on an 80C w/ Uptown automation and flying faders. However I'm primarily wanting to use it on tracking into PT and summing out, I'll recall from there then when summing it will be unity on the faders (maybe a bump here / there on mixdown) maybe some slight tweeking on eq but not difficult to recall that. Maybe the big board is overkill but I want a great sound in/out and want faders and such for tracking thru. Yes rock, pop, dance, etc.

I'm not discouraged. It's for my private studio however it will be used probably 8-12 hrs a day everyday. This is my job so it does neet to be reliable.

Maintenance is important. I currently have a C24 for faders and everything else outboard. I will keep something, either this or something smaller to automate fader and mutes. Everything else I am usually flying around on the trackball doing faster than I could with C24 buttons.
That's what I meant by mixing on analog, because even when you start to do your summing, you will want to automate certain things. The way the console sums the signals is different than in PT. You will have to compensate. If its for your own stuff, than that will make it easier. Still if you are used to doing the auto and doing instant recalls on digital, it will be a big change.
Old 25th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's what I meant by mixing on analog, because even when you start to do your summing, you will want to automate certain things. The way the console sums the signals is different than in PT. You will have to compensate. If its for your own stuff, than that will make it easier. Still if you are used to doing the auto and doing instant recalls on digital, it will be a big change.
I still plan to automated heavily inside PT leaving the console settings fairly constant (except when tracking).
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
[B And Brian Rainwater is that wiring guy you're talking about I think. He did my last studio.

[/B]
I know a tech in Athens who is fantastic. PM me for details.
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
And Brian Rainwater is that wiring guy you're talking about I think.

SO what exactly are u using your 80b for? do you have a link? Thanks for the info!heh
Actually, I was talking about another fellow...

And your welcome to follow that url to our 'temporary' site.*

*Disclaimer: Web developer still at work programming after 2 years. My partner at studio threw this site together just to have something/anything at the registered domain we're paying for! And even with that its still way out of date...
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
Actually, I was talking about another fellow...

And your welcome to follow that url to our 'temporary' site.*

*Disclaimer: Web developer still at work programming after 2 years. My partner at studio threw this site together just to have something/anything at the registered domain we're paying for! And even with that its still way out of date...
Yo Casey, nice gear. Tell me a little more about how you use your console on mixdown. Thats very similar to what I think I want.

And what a trip, you are in Sparkle City, I've spent many years working there (previously sucky job in a space at the cdc building down there). My wife is from Easley (exit 40?), i lived in Grrrrrrr for a while

small world!
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
jho,

Thanks.

As for the console at mixtime, I'm not really clear what you're asking, but my current MO goes:

When I track basics, I use a combination of the 80B's pres, the Spider and Fearn. At that point, I just monitor out of PT's master fader returned to a pair of channels on the 80B. The talent gets a stero 'mix' to share. Not too fancy! I control the blend with PT's faders. During overdubs, vox, etc., I'll usually return that to an individual channel on the console, for more control.

At mix, I delete the master fader, command click the faders to unity, and command+option+click the first track's output, select output 1, (which assigns each consecutive tracks' outputs to DACs 1-24 in ascending order). If I'm using any Plugin Auxs, I'll assign them to stereo pairs. If I've got any pan our volume automation, then that has to be considered, as well. BTW, AYAA, conservative recording levels, proper dac callibration and good gain structure is paramount to getting proper signal into the console out of PT...

Then I bus, group, insert, eq, effect, etc. (chip away at) the mix. I've pretty much totally gotten away from any substantial usage of plugins (excepting the rare autotune/sansamp/etc) as IMHO, hardware is far superior and less degrading, so there is 'substantial' insert patching taking place... Theoretically, if I've tracked properly, the faders in PT and on the console will all be at unity. Console EQ OTOH, is all over the place, obviously, (so) so much for recall...

(Mix goes) stereo out of the 80B, to inputs 7&8 on the Spider, then into the Masterlink @ 24/96. I usually like to experiment with how hard I 'drive' the console's summing, and I like to tweak the Spider's Tape emulation in conjuction. Amazing differences to a mix w/just those two variables!

Let me know if you have any unanswered questions...

BTW: Yeah, small world indeed. Up until a couple of years ago, we lived off Collier Road and Howell Mill!
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Casey, that is exactly the stuff I wanted to know. Thanks for the detailed explaination. That helps me in my quest
πŸ“ Reply