Quantcast
Channel Strip/Which one? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Channel Strip/Which one?
Old 25th April 2003
Channel Strip/Which one?

What are your favorite channel strips under $4,000. It should have at least a mic pre and EQ.. Also tell what is it that you really like and dislike.
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
ISA 430

I've got a Focusrite ISA 430...the pre is good, the metering is great, I love the EQ, the comp is OK, I never use the gate and the output limiter is useless. Fave things about this unit are the DI which sounds great direct with my tele for clean sounds, and the de-esser which I use end up using a lot. I think it's overpriced.
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The Manley VoxBox can be really cool. The EQ is nice and the pre is nice and think. It's kind of a specific beast. Certain things just don't sound right through. I find if the source is very think and dense, like distorted guitars for instance, the Manley is a bit much. However, voices, overheads/rooms can sound very nice. The de-esser is useful as is the limiter (the DS has a limit function, you can't use both). The compressor is a slow and very colored opto. A friend with two vintage LA2As says it's very similar to the VB comp. I tend to like the way the comp reacts better in mixing than tracking.

My $.02
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Pendulum Quartet is top shelf. Clean and opulent, or can get a little dirty too.
Old 26th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AMK/NEVE CIB mostly for just for the eq, but the mic pre is very good and musical, the compressor is fairly generic but useable. The flexable signal routing, remote output fader interface for both mic pre and linout, 1-rack space and bitchin looking LED's make it even more attractive for a single strip option.

A used Focusrite Red-6 is still a nice option and can be quite a bargin these days.

While I have not heard the Pendulum Quartet, it sure seems to have everything anyone would need in one box and I haven't heard an unkind word spoken about it ever since it came out.

An API 512C and API 550B in the 500H frame make a good bare bones strip. Swap it for the lunch box and add the 525 comp and you got great strip with an open slot.
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
This is not really a channelstrip but it's under $4,000

Brent Averill Neve into a
Daking EQ into a
Distressor

I don't think you get much better or versatile than this.

If I was making a console I would want this on every channel.
Old 26th April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Produceher
This is not really a channelstrip but it's under $4,000

Brent Averill Neve into a
Daking EQ into a
Distressor

I don't think you get much better or versatile than this.

If I was making a console I would want this on every channel.
The pre in the Daking is actually much more versatile than the Brent Averill 1272 to my ears. I can't use my Brent on vocals (too dark and thick), the Daking sounds excellent on vocals and most everything else.
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Im guessing the API 7600 would be pretty damn sweet!..

I would be keen to try a forssell channel strip but Fletcher dont stock em any more and Fred is a Very busy guy.... any one heard one of these puppies? is it more of the millenia/avalon thang like clean and pure or colour?

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 27th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tube: Pendulum Quartet
SS: Daking Pre/EQ

This is what I got and I'd buy it again.

Jo
Old 27th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut

I would be keen to try a forssell channel strip but Fletcher dont stock em any more and Fred is a Very busy guy.... any one heard one of these puppies? is it more of the millenia/avalon thang like clean and pure or colour?

Definitely on the clean and pure side. I didn't like the compressor as much as I liked other compressors in my rack, but as always, others mileage may vary. Also ,I tried one of the prototypes. The production version may have been different.
πŸ“ Reply