Quantcast
API 525 compressor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 525 compressor
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
API 525 compressor

Anyone had much experience with the API 525?...I've got a lunchbox with 2 API pres with some open spaces.I've got a Distressor and Trakker on hand already and love them.I've never heard the API,so I'm looking for some info/hands on nawledge.

How does the API sound? ...a "color" piece or more "transparent".
What's it useful on?....
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Very much a color piece.

The biggest use I found on it is guitars.

I am not that crazy about it(it doesn't give you a lot "swing") but as a specialty piece, it does the job well.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I also like the API 525 on guitars, and find it usefull on drums, some vocals and sometimes bass. Even with no GR in bypass mode, you get that phat API tone.
Old 24th April 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
It's more of a 'color' piece... I often like them on drum like events. The 2500 is world's more versatile... and not that much more expensive than 2x 525's + a frame...
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Related question:

I've got a Daking mic pre sitting all by itself in its lunchbox. At some point I'll probably fill one of the slots with a second matching pre, but anyone have any strong recommendations for anything other modules I should consider? (Just a question off the top of my head - haven't even researched it yet...)
Old 24th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Related question:

I've got a Daking mic pre sitting all by itself in its lunchbox. At some point I'll probably fill one of the slots with a second matching pre, but anyone have any strong recommendations for anything other modules I should consider? (Just a question off the top of my head - haven't even researched it yet...)
I don't think the Daking lunchbox fits anything other than Daking pieces (though I may be wrong...). If true, then your options are limited to other Daking preamps or the Daking compressors - I like both.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Dave.

The Daking pre/eq I'm familiar with, but not the compressor. Would anyone be willing to compare it to something else out there they find similar?
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Thanks Dave.

The Daking pre/eq I'm familiar with, but not the compressor. Would anyone be willing to compare it to something else out there they find similar?

I had the Daking rack for a trial a few years back(pre/EQ and comp).

At the time I wasn't crazy about either one.

The compressor(soundwise) it reminded the most is the API 525.

I didn't like the concentric knobs on it. Its a color piece, again the tone works great on guitars and drums. For me there are other things I prefer for vocals. I would say if you mix a lot of live instruments, than you can find uses for it.

Most of the music I mix is a combination(more electronic than acoustic), so I couldn't find as many uses that I liked.

There are other colored units in my rack that I consider a little more flexible. Again your YMMV.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmmm sounds like the 525 may be more a speciality piece.....

The API 2500 sounds like a great piece but my budget is more like the 1k range...I've already got a Distressor and Trakker,any other comps which would complement these?...I'm thinking more "color" than "transparency".
Old 24th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
Hmmm sounds like the 525 may be more a speciality piece.....

The API 2500 sounds like a great piece but my budget is more like the 1k range...I've already got a Distressor and Trakker,any other comps which would complement these?...I'm thinking more "color" than "transparency".
What are you looking to do? Why do you feel you need a "color" piece?

For a grand there isn't much out there that is worth it(maybe a Joe Meek piece) but that's about it.
Old 24th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thrill,
I dunno
I'm just looking for another "sound"....The Trakker does transparent real well and the Distressor can mash things up when I need it.
Just looking for more sounds
Maybe I should save up for a nice 2 mix comp.....
Old 24th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thrill,
I dunno
I'm just looking for another "sound"....
Broadway Music in Nashville (http://www.broadway-music.com/)has a later model Ashley SC-50. There's another sound, for around $100USD. And it's sometimes good. The Peavey TC/L-2 could probably be had for less than a grand, though I think you'd have to buy it used. I imagine that you could also get an ADL-1000 for under a grand - another sound. Not a particularly good one in my experience, but a distinctive sound.

Just trying to help...
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I like the 525, although as stated, it's a module you can't use on everything.
If you're looking for a cheap way to fill your Api rack, what about a couple of the 560 graphics? It is one of the best Api modules and one of the cheapest.
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thrill,
I dunno
I'm just looking for another "sound"....The Trakker does transparent real well and the Distressor can mash things up when I need it.
I'm in exactly the same position as you (Trakker, Dist, RNC and love each of them) and I'm also trying to figure out what's next when I have the budget.

At the moment I'm leaning towards getting a second Trakker, or the API 2500. I have a friend that's hand-building a SSL flavored comp and I'm curious to try that out when he's done. He's also the guy that built the passive analog summing thing that I ended up buying.
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thrill,
I dunno
When you speak about another "sound", is this for tracking or mixing?

Sometimes the"sound"when mixing you are speaking of is made up of different channels of comps layered to together to create one big sound.

Unless its an effect, and then you could just an effect type box(shure podium compressor,Fireworx,ridgefarm compressor,etc).

If you are looking for something for tracking, maybe a nice opto can work for lets say vocals and bass(LA2A,CL1B or LA3A for eg). I saw a used CL1B lately for around $1.4K.
πŸ“ Reply