Quantcast
need some mastering - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
need some mastering
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
need some mastering

i'm looking for a good mastering studio aroung the north jersey/NYC area.

6 months and 4 songs later, i need to get this EP mastered, and i can't wait until June to get it done. (my usual spot is booked till then). i'm also ready to try out somewhere new.

its straight up rock and roll, the next generation Bruce Springsteen. drums, bass, guit, vox, harmonica.

this post is probably asking for trouble, but just holler out some options so i can start checking places out.

thanks.
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: need some mastering

Quote:
Originally posted by dynamike
i'm looking for a good mastering studio aroung the north jersey/NYC area.

6 months and 4 songs later, i need to get this EP mastered, and i can't wait until June to get it done. (my usual spot is booked till then). i'm also ready to try out somewhere new.

its straight up rock and roll, the next generation Bruce Springsteen. drums, bass, guit, vox, harmonica.

this post is probably asking for trouble, but just holler out some options so i can start checking places out.

thanks.
What's your budget like for mastering?
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is Portland in Maine too far ??? Bob Ludwigs for example should be able to do a fairly nice job.

http://www.gatewaymastering.com/
Old 22nd April 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I`m from Norway and had Brad Blackwood master some songs I engineered/produced. I couldn`t have been more happy with the results....

Send them to Memphis.....

Amund
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
Is Portland in Maine too far ??? Bob Ludwigs for example should be able to do a fairly nice job.

http://www.gatewaymastering.com/
Bob is great! but he knows how to charge. A friend of mine got a quote from him to master an album and it was "truly awsome", The quote that is! heh

Regards

Roland
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
http://www.westwestsidemusic.com/
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
westwestside is good, but you have to book it a month in advance now.
I also like Joe Lambert @ ClassicSound.
drew
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Its more like 6 weeks for westwestside if you want to attend the session. 95% of all the stuff I record that gets mastered gets done there. For the money I dont think you can get much better for heavy music.
Old 23rd April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Actually, for the same money or less you can do better, depending on what your version of better is. What's the budget like for mastering? Without that, we're all shooting in the dark.
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by drew
westwestside is good, but you have to book it a month in advance now.(snip)
I realize the original poster was asking for something within a limited time frame.... but as an aside, if you book something with WWS before a project gets underway, they seem to be more accommodating to shifting your date around once you're already on the books (as opposed to calling in last minute).

- jon
Old 23rd April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You could fly to Atlanta from NYC for $150 round trip and have Rodney Mills do it. He does a great job on a budget too at $10 per "minute" of material. i.e 3 minute song is $30 bucks.

www.rodneymills.com
Old 24th April 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cymatics
I realize the original poster was asking for something within a limited time frame.... but as an aside, if you book something with WWS before a project gets underway, they seem to be more accommodating to shifting your date around once you're already on the books (as opposed to calling in last minute).
Most good places are like that. I remember having to shift a date with Brad 3 or 4 times because of all kinds of things.

I've heard good things about Rodney, never used him though. For me part of the mastering process is being able to get feedback from the ME. Every time I attaned a session or get detailed notes I learn a lot.
Old 24th April 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I've heard good things about Rodney, never used him though.
It's actually a really nice experience. His mastering 'house' is the first floor of his old southern plantation estate house on about 50 acres. This place is huge! The first floor is jam packed with studios, Rodney's mastering studio, a kazillion Journey, 38 special, Lynard Skynard etc gold records plastered on the walls everywhere. And he's like the most humble ol' codger you'll ever meet and has some pretty cool stories from the 60-70 too

If you come down, you can stay at the "Hodges Hilton" for a night if you need a place to crash. I'm about 20-25 minutes from his place.
Old 25th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Mastering

I have used Doug Sax since 1980. For the past two years it's been Scott Hull, who is great and a really, really nice guy. Scott recently moved from Classic Sound to the Hit Factory. But, you've got to check this out: David Torrey at www.drtmastering.com I've done four records with him including one this week. He's got amazing ears, amazing gear (including an EQ he says the only other one he's heard of EVER is owned by Bernie Grundman). This guy is really good.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…