Quantcast
U87 variations - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
U87 variations
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
U87 variations

Sorry about the double post, but I could do with some advise from users.

I've got a U87 of the older veriety, ie. the one that takes a battery and has P48 written on the lower end (not made any longer). I need to get a second for a session at the weekend. Can anyone give their impressions re the old and the newer 87Ai, which I believe is now black. Is there much difference between the two?

Cheers,
DW
Old 22nd April 2003
member no 666

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The new one, the U-87A [also known as the U-87Ai, the "i" denoting that it employs an XLR connector rather than a 'tuchel' connector... which I believe was never an option on the U-87A, but I guess they were trying to keep up the 'nomenclature tradition... though the TLM-103 was never the TLM-103i... but I digress], employs a different capsule and different amplifier than the "original U-87".

The original U-87 used a "KK-87" capsule, the U-87A a "KK-67" capsule. The "KK-87" was a single backplate design, the "KK-67" a dual backplate design. The U-87A also uses a U-89 amplifier which has a very different 'transient response' [and frequency response, and phase shift characteristics] than the original U-87.

Other than those differences... they're the same damn thing.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks for that Fletcher. I've gone and placed the order. I hope the new one is as 'nasally' as the original.
Old 23rd April 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Every mic sounds a bit different to me, and when I have several, I name each one with text on permanent duct tape, like "cold trebly", "warm", "full range", "big bass", etc.

That caveat aside, I easily prefer the U87 to the U87ai. The U87ai has a few dB hotter output level, but sounds more plastic and cheap to me. The U87 has a better, richer sound.

YMMV, IHMO, etc.

Jon
๐Ÿ“ Reply