Quantcast
manley elop vs. la-2a - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
manley elop vs. la-2a
Old 20th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
manley elop vs. la-2a

i'm looking to add an opto compressor/limiter to my setup. i'll be using it with my UA 2-610, primarily for vocals. i am very interested in the manley elop or a la-2a reissue. how do these compare sonically? is the la-2a worth spending the extra cash? nice thing about the manley is it's 2 channels for the price of a single la-2a.
thanx in advance...
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yougetwhatyoupayfor in this case.
while still not as cool as the original (different trannie) the universal LA-2A will absolutely stomp the other unit mentioned.
I have a couple of original LA-2A's that I use mainly for distortion (one chained into the other) and for those purposes the original trannies need to be had, but for general compression duties you'll be fine with a new one.
I've tried the other unit before and had a certain lifelessness added...not cool
ymmv-Mike
Old 20th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
To me, it depends; the Manley is brighter and more defined than the LA-2A. That's great for some applications, but not as good for others. I actually prefer a Tube Tech CL-1B to either the Manley or the La-2A for bass and for vocals, but maybe that's just me. And it's likely to change next week, now that I've thought about it...
Old 20th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
To me, it depends; the Manley is brighter and more defined than the LA-2A. That's great for some applications, but not as good for others. I actually prefer a Tube Tech CL-1B to either the Manley or the La-2A for bass and for vocals, but maybe that's just me. And it's likely to change next week, now that I've thought about it...
I am in total agreement with Dave.

The CL1B while a little more transparent, works better on different vocalists.

The LA2A is more of an effect device at times. Sometimes its great, other times its too much.

Since the pre you are using is very colored, maybe a more open and clear comp would do you some good.

Also for a little more money you can check out the EAR 660.

A very big sounding comp that works great on a lot of vocalists.
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
La2a recreation : Requisite, Requisite, Requisite, Requisite, ...

How many times do I have to tell you guys

malice
Old 20th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
Personally I like the Trakker better than both (sold both my VoxBoxs for purely sonic reasons). The new La-2a is better than the Manley IMO, but it's pretty pricey for a one trick pony. The Trakker's air optical vintage mode sounds quite beautiful and the sonic pallette is endless on it.
My biggest concern with the Trakker (and it's probably me rather than the box) is that it's clean and clear enough that I can do major damamge with it without realizing that I've done so until the mix starts. Then I find that I've inadvertantly removed ALL of the dynamics...
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's the the trick, compress untill you here everything, not compress until you ear compression damaging the thing...

malice
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by malice
That's the the trick, compress untill you here everything, not compress until you ear compression damaging the thing...

malice
I'm sure Dave knows that...I think what he means is that the gain reduction can be seriously buried on the Trakker (around 14 db of reduction) and sometimes it can be very hard to actually hear it doing anything at that point (at least detrimentally). My rule of thumb, is to treat the Trakker like any other compressor in that regard, which for me is to keep it moderate and to not let it reduce past -5 maximum on the meter during tracking (or 1db or 2db max for 2 bus), and run it again in post if needed (usually not).
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
I'm sure Dave knows that...I think what he means is that the gain reduction can be seriously buried on the Trakker (around 14 db of reduction) ...
Oh, I'm sure he knows that to ...

I was just saying that some compressor like the tracker has a tendency to make you forget that ...
I wouldn't dare even thinking I was actualy giving a tip to dave

malice
Old 21st April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by malice

I wouldn't dare even thinking I was actualy giving a tip to dave
Are you kidding? I gladly accept all the tips that I can get! The whole point isi to make the audio better, and that's what I'm here to learn about.

Now if someone could tell my how to bring another $5-$10K a month into my studio...
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
yougetwhatyoupayfor in this case.
while still not as cool as the original (different trannie) the universal LA-2A will absolutely stomp the other unit mentioned.
I have a couple of original LA-2A's that I use mainly for distortion (one chained into the other) and for those purposes the original trannies need to be had, but for general compression duties you'll be fine with a new one.
I've tried the other unit before and had a certain lifelessness added...not cool
ymmv-Mike
Then again, (if past history is any indication), Mr Tholen would prefer a can of dog food to most Manley products. I can't say if he's right or wrong though, as I don't own any Manley stuff as of yet...
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin

Now if someone could tell my how to bring another $5-$10K a month into my studio...
Now THAT would be a good tip ... heh

malice
Old 21st April 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
As far as 'optical attenuator based' compressors go... I have never met anything that comes close to rivaling the Pendulum Audio "OCL-2"... neither from a tonal, nor a functional perspective.

The 'time constant' options available on the "OCL-2" have made it one of the most indispensable weapons in my arsenal... as always... YMMV.
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
With the HA-100x and T4b now available, someone with basic electronic skills could very easily construct an LA-2A copy for less than one third of the cost of an original.
Old 21st April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
As far as 'optical attenuator based' compressors go... I have never met anything that comes close to rivaling the Pendulum Audio OCL-2
Damn - something else to put on my long list of things to listen to. I haven't heard the OCL-2, but the ES-8 was quite remarkable - different animal from an Opto of course, but remarkable.
πŸ“ Reply