Quantcast
2ch Mic Pre advice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2ch Mic Pre advice
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2ch Mic Pre advice

I'm looking to buy a new 2ch mic pre (maybe with eq). I want to spend around $1200-$1800. I have a pair of 9098 micpre/eq modules and a pair of Daking 52270's both of which I like. I did a session at a studio that had a Vintech 1272 box and I really liked it for it's gutsy rugged sound. I think I'm leaning towards this kind of character since the 9098's are very clean and the Daking?s pretty clean too. So I want to do my homework this time. A few years ago I bought an Oram MWS and while it's not bad really I only want to buy stuff that'll really contribute to my work. I'm thinking about the Vintech, the UA 2610, the Dan Alexander, Langevin Dual Vox combo. Are there others I should be looking at? Any input would be appreciated. I know a lot of you guys like the Vipre (I've talked with Michael about it) but this is for a 2 channel unit to replace the MWS, I will be looking at the Vipre later. Thanks
drew
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The U A2-610 is great .If you try it you will want to buy
it.Let us know how they compare (whatever you a/b)
Old 19th April 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Drew

given the pres you already have, I would check into the Chandler TG2
http://www.chandlerlimited.com/tg2.html

I know you do a lot of distorted guitars and live drums and that's where I have used mine very successfully. It has a great midrange and a similar "bigness" to the VIPRE and it would be within your price range for a 2 ch pre.

Also, the Great River MP-2NV
http://www.mercenary.com/greatrivelmp.html
is a great sounding mic pre in that price range, not as colored as the TG2, but packs a lot of punch for us "metal" guys.
Old 19th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
The UA 2108 would be worth looking at as well - it's kind of based on the output stage of an 1176, and has some of that character. (without the gain reduction, of course...)
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey Drew,

Jon Smulyan here...

I have an MP-2NV if you'd be interested in trying one sometime (i'd also like to hear the Daking and check out your new digs so there's my ulterior motive). I had (and got rid of) a UA 2-610. Veeerrryyy 'tooby' which is a good or a bad thing depending on your perspective. I have a Summit TPA200 which does the warm thick colored tube/transfomer thing way better than the 2-610 IMO. I know what you mean about the 9098 pre. I have the 9098 2 channel pre (no eq) and it does nothing for me... it's just too polite.

PM or email me if you wanna set up a time to check stuff out.

- jon
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Stereo pres in the 1272/ 1073 camp:

Dan Alexander
Vintech 1272
Brent Averill 1272
Brent Averill Classic Neve 1272
Chandler 1272EX
Great River MP-2NV
Aurora Audio GTQ-2 mkII
Phoenix Audio DRS-2

Those are in order by ascending price, from $1150 to $2150. The only one that includes EQ is the GTQ-2 at $2k. I'd e-mail Geoff Tanner at Aurora to see if he has any available at the moment.
http://www.auroraaudio.net/aa_html/a...ucts_gtq2.html
Seems like that would complement your existing pre/EQs nicely.
I'd take the DVC off your list if you don't want another "clean" sounding pre. HTH
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
You may also want to consider Old School Audio microphone preamps. They are also excellent IMO.
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool. great info, thanks guys. The Aurora Audio box look like what I want. Anybody actually heard one?
drew
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I highly suggest checking out the A designs MP-2. It's been glued to my vocal chain since I got it.
Old 20th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also worth looking at the Buzz MA2.2, especially for acoustic instruments and voices. I also like it a lot on snare drums.
Old 21st April 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Drew

given the pres you already have, I would check into the Chandler TG2
http://www.chandlerlimited.com/tg2.html
Ya mean this one? I think the mother****er is one of the coolest, most unique mother****ers I've heard in ages!!! **** just sounds so 'creamy' coming out of it... it's kinda sick!!

Another one to add to your list of **** to check out IMNTLBFHO is the Phoenix Audio "DRS-2"... as always... YMMV.
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What is the relationship between Phoenix and Aurora? Aren't the logos the same?

I guess I've narrowed it down to the Aurora (with eq) and the Chandler (no eq) I wonder if I can demo them somehow? Has anyone done this?
drew
Old 21st April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
**** just sounds so 'creamy' coming out of it... it's kinda sick!!
Amazing how superlatives these days often sound like descriptions of a gastro-intestinal virus. heh

Does this Chandler-EMI piece actually exist yet; are you working with a prototype? Or are they available now?

For some reason, I thought that it was a "coming soon" kinda thing.

-dave
Old 21st April 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
... Does this Chandler-EMI piece actually exist yet; are you working with a prototype? Or are they available now?

For some reason, I thought that it was a "coming soon" kinda thing.

-dave
Yes, it's alive and very well. They had to change the name from EMI to TG-2, due to a legal issue, but it's still the same beast.

Drew,
looks like I'll be mixing for a few more weeks (no preamps needed) If you want I can send mine to you for a checkout. Or maybe Fletcher could send you one, because I think you'll keep it anyway after you check it out. Let me know
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by subspace

I'd e-mail Geoff Tanner at Aurora to see if he has any available at the moment.
http://www.auroraaudio.net/aa_html/a...ucts_gtq2.html
Seems like that would complement your existing pre/EQs nicely.
I'd take the DVC off your list if you don't want another "clean" sounding pre. HTH
The 2 things I am looking forward to are the stereo compressor and the 4 band EQ/Pre, even though I hope he builds one without the pre.
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by drew
What is the relationship between Phoenix and Aurora? Aren't the logos the same?
There was a thread on the split here.

- jon
Old 23rd April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have 2 Dan Alexander's and a UA 2-610 and I favor the Dan's. Fantastic for rock music. Phat. And the price is killer.
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, I ordered the Aurora/Phoenix piece. I will report back once I've tried it. Thanks to everyone for their advice, it was a huge help.
drew
Old 24th November 2003
lj Potyk
Hi drew

What do you think of the GTQ2?
Old 24th November 2003
CV7
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The new Averill 312A's, Sweet!
Old 24th November 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It took one session with the Chandler TG2 for me to order four more. It is incredibly warm with a nice presence in the mids and an open top end. I also recently purchased a Vintech X81 which I have quickly become enamored with. If it didn't say Vintech on the front I would swear it was a Neve module. I have also had great success with the UA 610's on snares and dirty guitars. There are so many cool preamps out there which makes it hard to pick just one, but the Chandler TG2 impressed me as much as any pre (at any price) on the market.
Old 24th November 2003
The Langevin DVC is also a great choice. You did mention you wanted some type of eq and the shelving eq is a helpful aid to add a little additional high or low end to your signal. Not to mention it has a killer limiter that is fantastic for things like vocals. All in one box for $2,000, unless you can talk Fletcher down in price.

Check out it's review in Digitalprosound.com
πŸ“ Reply