Quantcast
Pendulum OCL 500 ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pendulum OCL 500 ?
Old 25th April 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Pendulum OCL 500 ?

Has anyone had the opportunity to put the Pendulum OCL 500 through it's paces?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,

John
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Has no one had any experience with these yet?
Old 3rd May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I only tried them on the Musikmesse at Frankfurt in April.
They were sitting next to some Anamod 660s (I own one and know it well). All I can say so far is, that the Pendulum was really great. Having the choice I would go for it. I would even recommend it as the only versatile and great sounding 500-comp! I have Action, 660, MC77, CL1B, Retro 176, Distressor, ADR. Can't await getting one to further mangle it... Would like to have it on vocals, bass and drum room mics...
Old 8th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho ➑️
I only tried them on the Musikmesse at Frankfurt in April.
They were sitting next to some Anamod 660s (I own one and know it well). All I can say so far is, that the Pendulum was really great. Having the choice I would go for it. I would even recommend it as the only versatile and great sounding 500-comp! I have Action, 660, MC77, CL1B, Retro 176, Distressor, ADR. Can't await getting one to further mangle it... Would like to have it on vocals, bass and drum room mics...
Really....

Wow, can't wait to get my hands on it.

They haven;t arrived at my pimps yet. Should be any day. I'll put it through it's paces.

Cheers,

John
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze ➑️
Really....

Wow, can't wait to get my hands on it.

They haven;t arrived at my pimps yet. Should be any day. I'll put it through it's paces.

Cheers,

John
Let us know how it sounds!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero ➑️
Let us know how it sounds!
yes!
Old 28th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
yes!
Hey Pan!

How is that Forssell doing?
Any words?

Compressor shootout this Saturday. I'll go by and check out the Pendulum... Unless my addiction to golf wins out! LOL

Cheers,
Old 28th May 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
loving it: )~
getting close to rapping up the review / interview.
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Tried it out today at studio economik where they have compressor battle...

That thing is great. Really smooth, makes stuff thicker. I think it'd make a great tracking compressor (as well as a mixing compressor of course)

For those who know the Quartet, you'll recognize the pendulum touch.

It wasn't design to crush and dirty things up, and it would not be very appropriate for brutal rock mixes (which I like to do).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud ➑️
Tried it out today at studio economik where they have compressor battle...

That thing is great. Really smooth, makes stuff thicker. I think it'd make a great tracking compressor (as well as a mixing compressor of course)

For those who know the Quartet, you'll recognize the pendulum touch.

It wasn't design to crush and dirty things up, and it would not be very appropriate for brutal rock mixes (which I like to do).
Thanks for that. I'm going to try and get in there tomorrow for the SSL evening if I make it back from the golf course in time. Otherwise, Saturday looks like the day to sample the Pendulum.

Looking forward to that review Pan!

Cheers,

John
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for that. I'm going to try and get in there tomorrow for the SSL evening if I make it back from the golf course in time. Otherwise, Saturday looks like the day to sample the Pendulum.

Looking forward to that review Pan!

Cheers,

John
i have been having a blast chatting with Fred: )~
Old 30th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
i have been having a blast chatting with Fred: )~
I'm waiting on that review to pull the trigger on a pair of these for piano.

Cheers!
John
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey John,

So did you make it to see the ssl guys ?
I went, Jim is a really nice guy ! And I must admit that I was impressed the demo he did of the comps in the x-rack... he obviously knows his products, and they obviously sound great...

Too many people in the room to do real testing this time though.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm waiting on that review to pull the trigger on a pair of these for piano.

Cheers!
John
You should try em out!!!! The SMP-500 is EXCELLENT!!!!! The build quality on that module is astounding. You're going to like the result. I think its got plenty of gain for ribbons @ +8 to +64 dB in 24 steps. The Input Switch in that thing is HEAVY DUTY-SOLID, like no other module I've seen. It has HEADROOM for miles. Its probably the most transparent preamp design currently available for the format, although I haven't used them all. I've been using this module everywhere, and I really, really appreciate its response with our microphones. Clean, lively, extended and smooth, would be the only way I can describe it. There is nothing but music at high gain, and its midrange clarity is highly impressive.
Old 12th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
You should try em out!!!! The SMP-500 is EXCELLENT!!!!! The build quality on that module is astounding. You're going to like the result. I think its got plenty of gain for ribbons @ +8 to +64 dB in 24 steps. The Input Switch in that thing is HEAVY DUTY-SOLID, like no other module I've seen. It has HEADROOM for miles. Its probably the most transparent preamp design currently available for the format, although I haven't used them all. I've been using this module everywhere, and I really, really appreciate its response with our microphones. Clean, lively, extended and smooth, would be the only way I can describe it. There is nothing but music at high gain, and its midrange clarity is highly impressive.
Thanks for that Adam. Much appreciated.

Old 12th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
So, any more opinions on the OCL-500?? Looking for an opto to track some vocals...
Old 13th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It's not gonna add dirt and whatnot so maybe not the ultimate screamer comp but other that that I don't see how it could ever fail for vocal tracking.

(my experience with it in terms of vocal is limited to a jazzy femal vocal mixing situation)
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a hard time believing it would be better than the Buzz Essence on vocals. I had the rack unit of the Pendulum OCL-2. And I like the Essence better.

But that is just my opinion. No one can answer this for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_bro ➑️
So, any more opinions on the OCL-500?? Looking for an opto to track some vocals...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I was looking at the essence to, but it's 2 rack space, and there is just one left in my rack... maybe I'll have to start a new rackhttps://www.gearslutz.com/board/images/smilies/nu/rolleyes.gif

But I will try the ocl first, for sure...

thx guys!
Old 10th August 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_bro ➑️
You'll probably see some end user opinion on this module real soon, as Greg has informed me as recently as today, that the OCL-500 will be shipping by the end of the week, [if all goes well]. Just based on what I heard @ AES, I'm going to guess the OCL-500 will be a real winner in many, many frames.
Old 13th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Great news! I've been waiting for this one for a long time. My OCL-2 is the most often used compressor in my rack. It would be nice to have a little more of that mojo available on the input side.
Old 25th August 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So, I've been toying with the OCL-500 for about a week, and over the weekend, I was able to cut some great keeper tracks with it. I cut, bass, vocals, and acoustic GTR though the compressor and liked every setting I was able to find. Its a very versatile compressor, with its "choice" time constants, and HPF in the detector circuit. I thought that was a crucial aspect in the design, and really helped the bass energy breath. Its also got a cool brighter light on the meter when engaged, and when bypassed it dims. Sort of helps in a dark room, to tell what the hell your doing. Build quality, as usual with Pendulum products, is stellar.

I found it an amazing option for clean compression, and I think the gain reduction action is the SAME as the OCL-2, however the tone of the unit is different. Its cleaner, and has less euphony, but man, the depth on the outputs is remarkable. Its extremely full, and very extended. Its got reach in spades, thus it suggests a deeper sound, and I don't suspect for a second any details were lost from the chains I was using. Its got a lot of gain, and seemed to have input and output headroom for miles. In action, its certainly not entirely transparent [like the OCL-2] but its pretty close. Its has the nice enveloping character, typical of an optical gain cell, which seems very useful for bass, vocals, and string instruments, so as to lighten the note or attack on a performance without making the audio smaller. A big thumbs up to Greg @ Pendulum for making this puppy. Hope this mini-review helps.
Old 26th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
nice review and notes Adam..
thanks for that..
Old 5th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

93 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
any more thoughts from users of the ocl 500? in 500 format you've got the SH optograph and INWARD CONNECTIONS OPT1A.

these opto options! speak to it those who know!!!
Old 17th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have been outof the loop for a bit. AS I have slowly (I emphasize slowwwwwwwwwwwly) redoing my hardwood floors by myself.

I haven't had the chance to get at it yet.
When I do, I'll try to post some short audio clip with compaprisons maybe(DIstressor, STA Level and Pendulum)

3 very different beasts.

Should be about a month or so before I have enough room to actually access my gear as everything is moved into the control room right now.

Cheers,

John
Old 30th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Why is it that these companies building great products for the 500 series forget about the link switch. Backwards IMO and I refuse to buy anything without it. As well as having stepped knobs, none of the companies throw this up as an option. Just as a heads up to designers, recalling sucks, help make it easier on us. Add these as options!!!
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This option is on the Buzz Essence- which is an AWESOME OPTO 500 series compressor. And it has some stepped switches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHoliday ➑️
Why is it that these companies building great products for the 500 series forget about the link switch. Backwards IMO and I refuse to buy anything without it. As well as having stepped knobs, none of the companies throw this up as an option. Just as a heads up to designers, recalling sucks, help make it easier on us. Add these as options!!!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i like stepped switches, but just stepped pot's are, again in my humble view, just azz.
but if i like something, i will take it either way, regardless of my preference, again, provided my love for the product warrant my distaste for a given objection.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
..... As well as having stepped knobs, none of the companies throw this up as an option. Just as a heads up to designers, recalling sucks, help make it easier on us. Add these as options!!!
I agree re: the recalling...
Old 1st April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FWIW we recorded 24 acts live in the studio during SXSW and used our OCL-500s for tracking many of the vocals. Very smooth and transparent. Thanks to the crew at Mercenary for bringing this fine compressor to our attention.
πŸ“ Reply