AD 2022 users advise please - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AD 2022 users advise please
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AD 2022 users advise please

Hi folks,

I'm trying to find out about level setting with the AD 2022. I've got a female vocalist singing into a Rode NT1 ( the band prefered the Rode to a Soundelux 251! but that's for another thread!!).

The Avalon's mic input is set at +22db, and the impedance pot set to "mic". My problem is that even at this low setting the VU meter is whacking the top at times, yet the sound does not appear to go into overload. I've never yet put a pad on a mic pre for a vocal and I don't intend to start now. Also, it's not an option to move the singer back from the mic (yet). Do you guys pay much attention to the meter or do you let your ears be judge. I know there's also a LED that changes from green to red at a certain point before overload, but I'm color blind so that's useless.

Thanks for any advise,

D.W
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The AD2022 flahses red at +20. You still have 16db more before clip so it's more of a warning to pay attention. It's got plenty of headroom so just use your ears and don't worry too much about what the meter reads even if the needle is pegged.

I usually set the pre up so that the red light does flash and then I know I've got the extra 16 for headroom and this most often works well.

You might be more concerned with the meter if you're chaining the pre to a compressor and then an EQ but otherwise I don't really look at it that often but it is pretty and clients like its gothic look.

My Neve's and Telefunken's don't have VU meters and I've never missed them.
📝 Reply