Quantcast
Genex recorders? rambling thoughts... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genex recorders? rambling thoughts...
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Genex recorders? rambling thoughts...

I thought I'd ask what you guys think about the recent Genex recorder models? I'm very interested in the new GX9000, but I also know that almost no one has seen one of these things outside of an AES show; so I thought it might be good to hear from anybody who worked with the GX8500 model that was discontinued prior to the GX9000 release.

I was originally looking at the much more common Alesis HD24, Fostex D2424 and the Tascam DA-78. They all had their own advantages and weaknesses, but none of them gave you the feeling that you would be using them 20 years down the road. I'm starting to realize that very few people still think in those terms when purchasing pro audio gear; getting tomorrow's work done seems to be the driving factor. But I'm one of those guys who've only owned 3 cars in his life (just turned 44) and I'm still using my high school stereo system. I don't think I'm cheap, I just want to purchase the best possible tool for the job at hand, and if I can get a lifetime of use out of the purchase, that's even better.

But with recorder technology changing daily, buying a recorder with a long term perspective is very difficult. Anyone who bought a DA-88 in 1990 made a good choice, but think of all the other types of recorders offered in the last 15 years that have been completely forgotten about. Choosing a recorder that is going to be refined and supported for at least a decade or two seems almost impossible. If I had to choose right now, the RADAR and Genex seem to be likely possibilities. Rock solid "transports" and storage devices with easily upgradeable converters. (I know that they don't really have transports, but what else do you call the FF,RW, Stop & Play buttons nowadays?)

My partners at our shared studio came very close to leasing a Radar earlier this year, but our lack of a signed lease at our current space put all big shared purchases on hold. Now that I am looking for a recorder for my own use, an 8 track makes a lot more sense than a 24 track. (I'm currently working almost exclusively with a DAT recorder, so 8 tracks will seem like an unlimited number). And the fact that the Genex GX9000 is not much more expensive than the TAscam DA-78 really casued me to take another look at my proposed recorder choices. I'm hoping that the GX9000 might develop similarly to the Radar in that the basic box remains viable even as the software and certain hardware accessories (converters) are continually revised.

By the time I have the GX9000 back home and fully working, its gonna be a $5k investement, about double what I was planning on spending for my multi-track. But if there is a good chance for this unit to become my main multi-track for the rest of my career, its money well spent. Do you guys think that's a realistic goal, or is the rate of change so great that I should just grab the Alesis HD24 and know that it'll need to replaced in 3 to 5 years?

steve
[email protected]
📝 Reply