The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rod Stewart's "Maggie May"
Old 21st July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
Jeff Beck Truth and Beck-Ola have Rod on vox and Ronnie on bass. Great albums, both.
Yessss!!

One of my fave recorded rock and roll moments happens during 'Beck's Bolero' when Keith Moon obviously kicks over a mic stand, screams like a man possessed (he was!) and from then it's 'cymbals-only' time till the end of the song. A-maze-ing!

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 21st July 2005 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I mixed some Faces tracks for the box set - and some unreleased to this day. As sloppy as you can imagine, yet it doesn't matter.

>>I think we're focused on all the wrong things today, when a song like that with all its imperfections can still move us.<<

SO many old recording have huge flaws, but the positive parts (voice, performance, song) are SO friggin' strong they win over everything. If you have to work hard to get something to feel good...

I've done sessions mixing tracks from the world's famous singers. Aretha, Orbison, Costello, Darryl Hall, Klaus Nomi, etc. However, gotta say, Rod may have THE best voice to record ever. You could NOT screw it up - even some live gigs with off-mic dynamic vocals sounds incredible, what little you could hear. He could be singing into a Radio Shack PZM (back then) and it would sound like God. The only other voice I've heard that rivaled it was Dio...
Old 25th December 2008
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I too would love to have more info on mics used by Rod Stewart back in the 60's and 70's recordings.

Mostly Maggie May of course.

came across this which I found interesting.BBC NEWS | England | Rod faces Maggie May action
Old 25th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for me, this recording is maybe one of the best recordings ever. So powerfuel and raw....and also beauty and timeless...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Also check out: "Never A Dull Moment" Same Era as Every Picture...
- Same Great Loose, Raw, Rock N Roll! - Awesome!
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have a very fond (distorted) memory of that song. One day, I guess it was 1980 or something like that, I went out riding around the country with two friends who were into photography and they were just looking for interesting things to photograph. It was an absolutely gorgeous spring day, warm sun and cool air, and we had some exceptionally good herbal party favors, and we were just in a state of perfectly blissful toastiness of a sort I can't really remember ever being in again. I remember that song came on the radio, and I just got absolutely lost in it. It just completely filled up my entire conscious awareness and was the perfect song for that moment, very laid back and gentle and flowing. Whatever Rod Stewart became after that, he still gets some points for that album.

Sigh... You can never get back to the garden.
Old 26th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Faces
Stay with me...
YouTube - The Faces - Stay With Me 1972 Live
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
THis thread is funny... I play in a band that does a lot of impersonation backing. One guy is a Rod Stewart impersonator. Very good, good musician and he also sounds just like Rod.

Anyway, when I first got the CD to practice, I called the drummer and said "I can't listen to this stuff... it sounds like the cymbals are trash can lids and the hi-hats are made of frying pans. And why the hell can't they tune those 12 strings? AAHH!"

I was playing bass on the first show, and afterward some guy comes up to me and says "WOW! I've been trying to play Maggie Mae for twenty years and I could never get it right, but you just nailed it!"

He was trying to compliment me of course, but it's funny because the bass line has a clam per measure, at least.

Ugh. It's a great show to play. I love the *vibe* of the old Faces/Stewart recordings but man, how hard could it be to tune the guitar... for at least ONE song on the album?
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Analog tape is the biggest factor ...

Doesn't get any better than "Maggie May".

Sounds like your in the room with them. Totally excellent recording.
'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I put Maggie May in the top ten of songs that influenced me.

Jeff Beck Truth Album......dayum.....what a feel rekkid.

My sidter (who has been the singer in the Saturday Nite Live Band for 20 plus years) wnr to college in Boston. She saw the Jeff Beck band at the Tea Party first time in the US.

Her report...."they had this singer....Rod Stewart, great voice but he has stage fright. He sang the whole gig from behind the amps.

Classic.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I was fortunate to meet Rod and The Faces after their highly "spirited"
show at Shady Grove MD.

I still find it amazing those guys could still walk upright after the amount of alcohol
they were consuming on stage and after the show.

I also saw an early show with Rod and Jeff Beck at the Alexandria Roller Rink
opening for Janis Joplin.

Rod was so drunk that he hurled behind the PA tower.

Janis Joplin was feeling no pain either downing a half a bottle of Southern Comfort
during her show.
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was playing bass on the first show, and afterward some guy comes up to me and says "WOW! I've been trying to play Maggie Mae for twenty years and I could never get it right, but you just nailed it!"

He was trying to compliment me of course, but it's funny because the bass line has a clam per measure, at least.

here's a thought: if people who love the song get swept away by your performance, you *did* nail it... at least, in any meaningful sense. you were probably the only person in that room who let the mistakes prevent you from having a totally enjoyable, immersive experience.

here's another thought: he wasn't 'trying to compliment you', he *was* complimenting you. thumbsup

gregoire
del
ubk
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Rod Stewart's band definitely had a good groove going....I bought a "Best Of" compilation for 5 bucks that featured his stuff up to "Never a Dull Moment". I may stand corrected but, it really sounds like a BAND playing together in the studio....with just a very few overdubs...the other thing I noticed was how often Rod's voice would overload the electronics/tape when he was really belting it. He stuck with what he had....the performance was good.....why spend the next 5 days making it "perfect"?

Mortal Engines - ReverbNation
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT ➡️
I was fortunate to meet Rod and The Faces after their highly "spirited"
show at Shady Grove MD.

I still find it amazing those guys could still walk upright after the amount of alcohol
they were consuming on stage and after the show.

I also saw an early show with Rod and Jeff Beck at the Alexandria Roller Rink
opening for Janis Joplin.

Rod was so drunk that he hurled behind the PA tower.

Janis Joplin was feeling no pain either downing a half a bottle of Southern Comfort
during her show.
Now that brings back a few memories - wasn't that revolving stage something? I remember growing up as a teen, how cool it was to have The James Gang (amongst many others) appearing just down the street from where we went to school.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i love that song
i loved seeing him play on the
"tonight's the night" tour in 1982 -
he is an amazing live performer

my friend curt emery who builds my great
tube gear bought me a record i love by
ron wood called "i've got my own record
to make" - highly recommended - mid 70's enough to be the
only record where you have both rod
stewart ad mick jagger doing bvs

be well
happy christmas
6:09 a.m. boxing day london

- jack
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I was sitting on the stage at Shady Grove for the whole show and was damn near
decapitated when he swung a bit wide with his mic stand.

I remember the room spinning not sure if it was the stage or me :-)

They were in a rush to get to Dulles and I lived in Herndon so I knew the way.
So their limo followed me to the airport in my '67 Datsun roadster.

What a blast!
Attached Thumbnails
Rod Stewart's &quot;Maggie May&quot;-myfirsthome.jpg  
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The original lineup cooked.

'
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️

'
Thank u VERNIER...... pure R´n´R

That was the best Faces lineup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi there,

Don't forget ^Steampacket^ !

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➡️

'
Wow, those guys friggin' rocked, plain and simple. There have been lots of new popular rock bands coming along since then but most pretty lame in comparison.

Who rocks like these guys lately? Maybe some bands are doing it, but no one sticks out in my mind at this moment in my post Christmas funk.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Gregoire. I wasn't offended, I did take it as a compliment, it's just funny that on another level it's the exact opposite.

I rather enjoyed the whole thing.

Aric

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➡️
here's a thought: if people who love the song get swept away by your performance, you *did* nail it... at least, in any meaningful sense. you were probably the only person in that room who let the mistakes prevent you from having a totally enjoyable, immersive experience.

here's another thought: he wasn't 'trying to compliment you', he *was* complimenting you. thumbsup

gregoire
del
ubk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Saw The Faces at The Music Hall in Beantown in '75 or '76-can't remember now. One of the best shows I ever saw. Peter Frampton opened up and if I'm not mistaken used some of the recordings from that night on Frampton Comes Alive.They made Frampton seem like a rank amateur.

The Faces hit the stage with kilts and champagne and man it was rock and roll baby! Ron Wood had been jamming with The Stones and then jumped on this tour. It was right before Rod Stewart went downhill doing all that lame crap. Yeah it was sloppy but no one cared cause they had heart and soul.

All the really great bands I saw-The Faces,The Who,Bowie,Lou Reed one night at The Paradise in Boston on the Street Hassle tour when he was into playing and not acting like a jerk.......they had something other bands didn't. Some sort of magic that most bands-though popular-just didn't have.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Love the Faces and those early Rod Stewart records. What's the most recent word on a reunion tour? I heard Flea was onboard playing bass. Anyone
Jonathan
Lives for gear
I, in all honesty, think Rod Stewart is/was the best male rock/pop vocalist I've ever heard. I could listen to everything the Faces put out all of his solo records up to "A Night on the Town" all day. People always make fun of me when they ask "who are your top 5 favorite bands" and I put Rod Stewart in there. I think everyone, at least of my generation, view him as a crooner. I put on his classics and turn disbelievers into fans.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➡️
ROD STEWART.
LP ‘Every Picture Tells A Story’ (Mercury 6338063). Producer: Rod Stewart.
Sound engineer: Mike Bobak. Recorded at Morgan Sound Studios, Willesden,
London in April 1971 (except 'I’m Losing You', which was cut at Olympic Sound
Studios, London). Incl.
- Every Picture Tells A Story (RW/Rod Stewart) -Maggie Bell and
John Baldry on backing vocals
- Seems Like A Long Time (Ted Anderson) -Madeline Bell and friends on
backing vocals.
- That’s Alright (Arthur Crudup)
- Tomorrow Is Such A Long Time (Bob Dylan) -Dick Powell on violin
- Maggie May (Rod Stewart/Martin Quittenton) -Ray Jackson on mandolin,
Ian McLagan on organ.
- Mandolin Wind (Rod Stewart) -Ray Jackson on mandolin, Sam Mitchell
on guitar
- I’m Losing You (Norman Whitfield/Eddie Holland/Cornelius Grant) -genuine
Faces-line-up.
Line-up: RW (gtr, bass, pedal steel)/Rod Stewart (voc, gtr)/Martin Quittenton
(gtr)/Andy Pyle and Danny Thompson (bass)/Micky Waller (dr)/
Pete Sears (p)

About Morgan studio - "The console in the studio was custom made by Advision. The speakers were custom made as well, but from JBL components. They actually weren't that good in reproducing the low end and so that had to be taken in to account as we mixed."

But I also I found a listing that said Maggie may was done at De Lane Lea studio... wich may have hahd a Neve console at that time...

Long John Baldry" on backing vocals. I remember him well. A good man. God rest his loving soul.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thread has turned me into a sudden Faces fan. I had overlooked them and had no idea about the rich history and how hard they rocked! Thanks everyone!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The faces are easily my favorite band ever.

I put "Maggie May" in as my fav in the "fav. song ever " thread with "Every Picture..." as a close second.

Someone once described his voice as "devilishly angelic." I think that sums it up pretty well.

I am addicted to that drum sound.
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog ➡️
I am addicted to that drum sound.

me too. the whole vibe, actually; it's clear everyone was playing at the same time, there's so much room in the recording.

on several songs, rod misses his opening beat by more than a hair; listen to him come in on 'every picture' or 'that's all right'. i love it, i can just see him in the booth, concentrating hard to the feel the one, possibly quite lubricated on various nefarious substances.

sweet imperfections.

gregoire
del
ubk
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➡️
sweet imperfections.

gregoire
del
ubk
Exactly. The songs were amazing, the guys were amazing, they groved hard ...they just weren't obsessed with the perfect take. I love it.

But when you have talent like that, even your screw ups sound good. For most of us, our screw ups are a "stop tape" blunder. Not those guys.

It's almost like they were just so nonchalant about the recording process(brought on by an ass-load of substance abuse) that they just moved past the imperfections if they weren't too obvious. And to 95% of the population, they weren't obvious at all.

Perfectly imperfect.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkresearch ➡️
I heard Flea was onboard playing bass. Anyone
Jonathan
Uuuuuhhhuuuuu Flea playing Faces ? Can anyone remember Stanley Clarke playing together with Wood and Richards ?
📝 Reply