LEX 480L hints and tips. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LEX 480L hints and tips.
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LEX 480L hints and tips.

Howdy all..

Im gona be using one these suckers soon, as th eplace im mixng @ wont have an AMS or EMT plate ...

So if u nice ppl would so kind as to how they work and some general tips and or setting for snares and vocals?

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 12th April 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
The "Hall" programs sound pretty good... the "Plates" are often grainy sounding for my tastes... though the 'constant density plate' will sometimes work on drums. The 'chambers' are a bit "y" for my tastes... but some of that can be almost used to your advantage if you get into the 'early reflection' pages.

Best of luck with it... I highly suggest you R.T.F.M. prior to the session.
Old 12th April 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
I'll be a son of a bitch... the little green critter comes out with a "y" at the end when you type b-o-i-n-g-y ... who'd a thunk it.
Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As Fletcher said, definiatly RTFM. The LARC remote makes about as much sense as the little green guy.

Old 12th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Actually the LARC is one of the easiest remotes out there.

Just hopefully its working well(over the years the sliders get kinda funky).

There aren't that many secrets to the 480L. Either you'll like its sound or not. Some of its power is heard in the dual programs(one processor is used for early reflection delay, other for the reverb).

I guess find out if they have any of the extra cartridges.
Old 12th April 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Is the 300 exactly half a 480? Do you work the LARC the same way?

Old 12th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Actually the LARC is one of the easiest remotes out there.

Just hopefully its working well(over the years the sliders get kinda funky).

There aren't that many secrets to the 480L. Either you'll like its sound or not. Some of its power is heard in the dual programs(one processor is used for early reflection delay, other for the reverb).

I guess find out if they have any of the extra cartridges.
To clarify, yes, the LARC itself is not complicated, but if you are not familiar with the parameter names of a 480, it can be a bit greek, IMHO.
Old 12th April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!

The 224XL is.

Yes.
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!

The 300 sounds different than the 480.
I don't know about the LARC with the 300 because mine is working with the front panel.
Old 14th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
One bit of advice--make sure you know what machine configuration you are using--you may be thinking your are in a mono split when you are really in a single configuration--for example.
I suggest that if you have never used the 480L that you download the manual (http://www.lexicon.com/downloads/legacy/480L.asp ) and read chapter 2--chapter 2 will give you the basics of the unit--how to change the config, load an effect, etc....

To answer Neves question--the 300 was a "poor mans" 480L. The effects and configurations in the 300 (with v3.5) are very similar to the 480L--as far a pure processing the M480L is more powerful. If you have 480L that has V4.1 then you will have a ton more effects than the M300. (The 300 is a 20 bit processor and the 480L is 18 bits processor )

jfk

got love the green guy--

Old 15th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Though the LARC's look similar they are two different models for the 480L and the 300L.

Curious as to why your looking for a 480L and not the 960L. It's our latest mainframe and one will be supporting for years to come. We stopped making the 480L a little over a year ago. Used is about the only markey out there, though I do know one dealer in LA who actually has one of the last new 480's in a box.

We also just brought the 300 series to it's end of life.

Doug Marhoffer
Lexicon
Los Angeles
Old 18th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK i downloaded the manuale` and had a dig throught it..

What are some of ur fave setting programs for vox, lead and BV and snares etc..

The job im doing is kinda 'pretenders like' with a bit more of an attitude!.. hmm hope u get he pic lol!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 18th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"Curious as to why your looking for a 480L and not the 960L. It's our latest mainframe and one will be supporting for years to come. We stopped making the 480L a little over a year ago"

Hmm, that would be because it's thousands cheaper.

Go figure.........
Old 18th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Any clue the version of software on the 480L that you are going to be using?

jfk
Old 18th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
"Curious as to why your looking for a 480L and not the 960L. It's our latest mainframe and one will be supporting for years to come. We stopped making the 480L a little over a year ago"

everglass wrote:

Hmm, that would be because it's thousands cheaper.

Go figure.........

Actually the street on a new 480L was about $10K when we stopped making them. The digital I/O version, the 960LD, streets for about $10,995. Not that much different. True, the used market on a 480L is a bit lower but the box is not supported with new software anymore. The 960L is just starting it's life cycle.

"Buckram", "Wood Room", "Fat Plate" are a few of the more popular 480 presets. Version 4.1 was the last software release, that allowed you to use the carts, Classic Cart (old 224 presets) and the Surround Cart (allowed you to mix both the stereo outputs for a 2in/4out configuration, also allowed you to combine both machines to create one reverb)
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dougsthang'
Actually the street on a new 480L was about $10K when we stopped making them. The digital I/O version, the 960LD, streets for about $10,995. Not that much different. True, the used market on a 480L is a bit lower but the box is not supported with new software anymore. The 960L is just starting it's life cycle.
The used market for an 480L is WAY less than a little lower than $10K I notice them being sold as cheap as $4k and on average less than $6K with both HSP boards. And as for updates, what more does the 480L need to do that it doesn't? Most of those updates took years before they were released and were not always with features that made any real difference to me. Not having 480L OS or new software support any longer is a very small issue. Now getting it repaired or finding parts when I need them is or will be more of an issue.

At the pace technology is going, the 960L as well as everybody elses effects box is likely to be obsolete or very close to it way before many of the planned updates or upgrades become available.
Old 19th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
The design of the 960L is so that we can adapt to changing technology. The 480L was around for 15+ years in a time when technology was also moving quickly. If you want to buy a 480L then go for it.. it's our most famous unit we used to make. The question you have to ask yourself is do you want to get a piece of gear's limited to expansion or do you want a piece of gear that can grow and change with your studio's technology base. If you could buy an old analog board that was popular in it's day would you? or would you pay a little more to get a board that was better suited for today's technology?. That's all, you can't go wrong buying a 480L. We hit a home run with that piece.

Without saying too much, don't want to tip our hand, but I'd hold off any purchase of mid priced high end($3K-$5K) effects processors for a bit.

Doug Marhoffer
Lexicon
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The design of the 960L is so that we can adapt to changing technology.
This might be so, but it is also the same statement made by many manufactures that has turned out to be not true. And if in a few years from now it turns out that there is more profit to be made and increased features to easily include, you will have another new flagship product that may also be able to recycle some of your current developments.

All digital products designed today or only a few years ago, just don't have the same total lifecycle the way products of yester-year had no matter how much you have planned into your design. As many changes as I forsee in the next 5-years, I guess we'll just see where the 960L as well as others will be.

Quote:
Without saying too much, don't want to tip our hand, but I'd hold off any purchase of mid priced high end($3K-$5K) effects processors for a bit.
If you mean the replacement for the M300/300L, the M400 or whatever your gonna call it, I hope it at least has 4-in/4-out
analog and digital.
Old 21st April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Doug to answer your curiosity.
I assumed that Wiggy was about to work in a studio that had a Lex 480 instead of his usual 'go to' reverb boxes.
So he was not looking to buy a 480 at all!
Old 21st April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, I noticed that. I think the thread turned into way would you for the price. I did leave some of the more popular presets in past response.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanx Chrisso.....

Yes im jsut looking for some tips on vocals and snare setting... cos if i was to get serious about buying a verb there is only one im really intersested and im not evne sure they make it anymore.....Alesis nanoverb!!fuuck heh heh dfegad LOL

Chrisso... when u come out again bring that API from FJ with u ok!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 28th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsthang' ➑️
The design of the 960L is so that we can adapt to changing technology. The 480L was around for 15+ years in a time when technology was also moving quickly. If you want to buy a 480L then go for it.. it's our most famous unit we used to make. The question you have to ask yourself is do you want to get a piece of gear's limited to expansion or do you want a piece of gear that can grow and change with your studio's technology base. If you could buy an old analog board that was popular in it's day would you? or would you pay a little more to get a board that was better suited for today's technology?. That's all, you can't go wrong buying a 480L. We hit a home run with that piece.

Doug Marhoffer
Lexicon
Posted April 19th 2003
{sigh}
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Someone is getting nostalgic here....heh
I hope you havn't been waiting all this time for an alternative signal processor....
Was it the 1st 480L thread on gearslutz by the way?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer ➑️
Someone is getting nostalgic here....heh
I hope you havn't been waiting all this time for an alternative signal processor....
Nope, I love (still) my 480L and 224XL. I was just looking at:

"...but I'd hold off any purchase of mid priced high end($3K-$5K) ..." and the date. Those poor 960 users who were expecting so much.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To give this thread revival some more substance and answer the question that started it, i'll share some tips about the 480L that i found online some years ago. All credits go to the guy from Jamsync who wrote it:

USING THE SAMPLER The 480L's sampler programs that use one machine can capture up to three seconds. This function allows you to tweak without tying up your main playback machine.
Put the 480L in Cascade mode. Load the FWD&REV 1.5 sampler (Bank 7, Preset 5) into Machine A.
Load your reverb or effect into Machine B. Set the wet/dry mix in B to 100% dry. Capture a short sample (about 250 milliseconds) by hitting the REC button.
Go to page two and trim the head and tail by repeatedly pushing the Cue button while adjusting the HEAD and FWD TIM sliders.
Set the β€œ<>” (Play Order) slider to the maximum value.
Set the REV TIM slider to its maximum value. Then, go to page three and set the LEVL REV to β€œoff.”
Go to page four and set TLV to Continuously. Push the Play button to start playback of the loop.
Go to Machine B and set mix back to the normal setting (usually 100% dry). Tweak the effect. When you have finished, change the machine configuration back to your normal mode.

MULTIPLE SOURCES FOR COMPLEX, REALISTIC REVERBS

Try using the Cascade mode and Illusion to create a complex reverb that approximates a natural environment. Illusion is a 40-tap delay effect with randomly modulating voices β€” sans pitch variation. Feeding it into the reverb creates the illusion of many more sources.
Set the machine mode to Cascade. Load Illusion (Bank 5, Preset 1) into Machine A. Load Large R Hall (Bank 11, Preset 1) into Machine B. Adjust the mix control of Illusion to change the feel of space.
Warning: This approach requires some fine adjustment to get it right once you've found the area of the fader that approximates the sound you need.

SHAPE + SPREAD = NEW SOUNDS
You can create almost any desired envelope using Shape and Spread. The effect is similar to the ADSR (Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release) or envelope generator controls of a synthesizer. Start with Large R Hall (Bank 11, Preset 1) or Large Hall (Bank 1, Preset 1).
Set pre-delay to zero. Set spread to 128. Adjust shape. Low values resemble plate reverb, while middle values (around 128) sound more like halls. Values around 190 sound like gated reverb, and above 190, the reverb has a reverse build, with amplitude increasing rather than decaying. Want something really wild?
Go to page two and set the DCO to Effects to unlink the size control. When the size control is linked, it works to keep the reverb sounding somewhat β€œnatural,” and it changes the RT and Spread values. Unlinked, anything goes. Try a very small size with a long decay time.

REAL-SOUNDING SAMPLES
To make percussion and drum samples sound as if they were recorded in a room, start with Ambience (Bank 13, Preset 2).
Turn the RTL Level off. Adjust β€œsize” to get the correct size of space.
Adjust wet/dry mix on console to set distance of β€œvirtual microphone” from instruments.
Add back RTL Level of reverb as desired.

3-D REVERBS USING PANORAMA
An interaural crosstalk cancellation program, Panorama resembles listening to headphones, except the sound image is outside the head (unlike most headphones) for a 3-D effect. Material that has a strong out-of-phase component will seem to surround the listener. It's almost like having virtual surround speakers, so you can use it to create the illusion of surround reverb. Set the machine mode to Cascade.
Load a reverb into Machine A.
Load Panorama (Bank 9, Preset 0) into Machine B.
Adjust Panorama speaker angle (ANG) to change the 3-D impression.

WHAT'S MY SETUP?
When many people have access to the 480L and they change configurations, it's easy to start a session with the wrong setting.
For instance, if the last person left the machine set to analog, then you won't see or hear your digital input.
Push the CTRL key. Move the STA slider on page one. You'll see the status of key settings scroll by.

Isn't that gold?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
funny thing is the early 224 ..i forget what software ver..had a nice fat sound.. great for putting air around those lynn drum samples in thee arly 80's

sometimes the more ya try to provide the less ya get

the 4, and 9's weren't bad..you needed to edit parameters to get a decent sound but they weren't bad ..snare/drum? plate, fat plate, halls, and some of the delay/bounce effects were cool..

alot easier than setting up a 2 track and ping ponging left right delays by using sends

some of the more esoteric parameters on them i never had the time to mess around with during a mix..

i like ron propiel.."set it and forget it"
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGMA ➑️
funny thing is the early 224 ..i forget what software ver..had a nice fat sound.. great for putting air around those lynn drum samples in thee arly 80's
I felt the same about the 300.

Ver 1 was soft & airy but a bitch to program.

Ver 3.5 for the LARC totally killed the tone.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️

yeah you really has to watch what ver. of software is installed ..not just the unit..i remember when we updated one of them it totally messed the warm factor up...

what gives with those guys they lock in the basement aneewaz?
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
dude- here's what you're looking for.

snare- small + stage. blend it w/ a PCM70 on locker room and you'll get a very popular snare room sound. blends great. less filling.

vocals- don't use the 480 much for vocal verbs but-

A Plate is popular. Thoener uses that a lot on stuff.

If the unit has the classic cart then go looking for Chamber A or Rich Chamber.

for spaced out BGVs mess around with Silicia Beads. Use sparingly.

some of the halls can work on vocals too, not my favs but YMMV.

Buckram and Brick Wall can sound great on tighter stuff.

Obviously, this is all song dependant. Hope that helps.

FRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️

Dude, you are so right! I totally kept mine version 1 (I think it's 1.10) So glad I did!
πŸ“ Reply