Quantcast
Chandler LTD1? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler LTD1?
Old 9th April 2003
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Chandler LTD1?

Has anyone had a serious look at these against a Neve 1073? The website implies these are built around genuine old Neve boards with an improved mod on the frequency settings, so are these more "rebuilds" than repros? Lastly, is it difficult to get "matched" pairs of old Neves or isn't this really a problem?

Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nope, but I'm hoping to a/b the Chandler with the Vintech X73 next week. Will post my impressions and the company's name in Sweden who are kindly supplying the demo modules.

DW
Old 10th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I am interested in hearing any feedback on this unit as well. Looks like it might be nice to pair up with an Mp2NV.
Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have an LTD-1 and like it very much. Seems different to rented 1073's but in a way that I prefer, much better clarity and a crisper top EQ. Interested to hear the comparison to the vintechs.
Old 10th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Some members of this forum did a listening test a while back in which the following preamps were compared:
Neve 1073
Shep 1073
Vintech X73
Great River MP2NV
Chandler LTD1

I'm pasting the main conclusions here but you can look this up by doing a search under "microphone preamp comparison testing".

"OK, so we set all the preamps up and recorded the reamped guitar, bass, and a live snare. Bob O was present for the recording part of the afternoon, but since he actually had paying work to do, he left, I think before we actually tried to make any decisions (or he may have learned what he wanted to learn while the recording took place.

I mentioned earlier the method that Michael and I used to compare preamps - with either his hand or mine on the solo/mute switches on the Sony console, we could neither see the indicator lights or which button was pushed down (and in fact, I think the buttons are 'soft - you couldn't feel which one was pushed, either), so it was as close to a blind test as possible. The way we listened was to choose two preamps at a time, choose the one that we thought sounded best, look and see which one it was, then compare that one with the next one in line (on the console). Choose again, then move on. once we chose which pre we liked out of the 5, we compared that with each of the other 4 (obviously, either pre one or pre two would have been only have been listened to once). Does that make sense to everyone?

OK - now the results. On the whole, the preamps were very close to each other in sound. This is represented by the fact that of the five pre's, we liked a different one on each of the four instruments. So the winners are:

Clean Electric: Vintech X73 (or Great River)
Dirty Electric: Great River NV (or Vintech)
Bass: Neve 1073
Snare: Shep

The reason I listed 2 preamps on the guitars isn't so much because they were so close that we couldn't make a clean decision, but that I simply can't remember which pre we chose on those two. I know, not very scientific, but I can't find any notes I may have made. Hopefully Michael will refresh my memory.

I should say, though, that we also tried a GT Vipre on snare and it killed all of the Neve variants - Some of you may have noticed in another thread that Michael is buying another one...

I should add that I own both the GR and the Vintech. after doing this test (again - I also compared each to a 1073 when I wrote reviews of them for magazines), I'm still happy that I bought them.

Any questions?

mwagener
High End Moderator

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dave Martin
The reason I listed 2 preamps on the guitars isn't so much because they were so close that we couldn't make a clean decision, but that I simply can't remember which pre we chose on those two. I know, not very scientific, but I can't find any notes I may have made. Hopefully Michael will refresh my memory.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a picture of the writing strips on the boards. The red Xs are our choices for that category.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mwagener/results.jpg

First a disclaimer: the following is my personal opinion and is valid only for the test on that particular day at that particular studio with those particular microphones, cables and sources. To use Fletcher's words: YMMV

In general I thought that all the mic pres sounded close enough that somebody would not go wrong buying either one of them. If I had to pick one of the Neve clones I would probably go with the original 1073 for the EQ version (if I could find one in great shape for under $ 1,000,000) and the Great River if I didn't need the EQ. Unfortunately we didn't get around to checking it with vocals or percussion instruments, nor did we have time to check the EQ sections (that's what you get for having two immensely knowledgeable and experienced people in your studio with thousands of stories to tell, it was great, thanx Dave and Bob). Also, it would be great to hear how sounds recorded with those pres sit in the track.

My thoughts about the pres (in no particular order):
1. Neve 1073 - no comment, that's what we were comparing the others to, assuming this one is the sh*t.
2. Schep - sounded a little flatter than the Neve, not a s much depth, which was a plus on the snare but a minus on the guitar and bass.
3. GreatRiver - great sounding pre overall and a definite contender for my preamp rack in the future.
4. Chandler LTD-1 - this one had a little bit of a veil on the top end, which the EQ could probably take care of, but it didn't sound as open as the 1073.
5. Vintech X-73 - great sounding pre, very open with a lot of depth.

All that said and as Dave mentioned, I went and bought another VIPRE. The VIPRE wasn't part of the shootout, but whenever we plugged it in "just-to-check" I liked it more than the others. We did a listening test with the bass plugged into the instrument inputs of some of those pres and the VIPRE came out way on top. We didn't record this because not all the pres had the high-Z input and the ones on the original 1073 didn't work. In fact one of the original 1073s wasn't working at all.

All in all it was a very interesting day, to say the least. A special thank you to Rack 'n Roll in Nashville and Lyle from Wavedistribution for providing us with some of the pres."

Old 10th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dave,

Do you have a street price listing on these units? Or at least guessamations?
Old 10th April 2003
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years

Thanks yobro... that's great! Be interested to hear from anyone who's used this for vocals.
Old 10th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Dave,

Do you have a street price listing on these units? Or at least guessamations?
Not even a the beginning of a clue... but a quick web search should answer that question.
Old 10th April 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Going on the shortened report of the shoot out the LTD didn't get much of a mention.
The Vipre seems to be the thing to get.
Old 11th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Chandler LTD1?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rab
Has anyone had a serious look at these against a Neve 1073? The website implies these are built around genuine old Neve boards with an improved mod on the frequency settings, so are these more "rebuilds" than repros? Lastly, is it difficult to get "matched" pairs of old Neves or isn't this really a problem?

I own several and have been very happy with them. They not only use the same circuits, but also the same build techiniques as the original Neve modules. I have not experienced the 'veiled top end' comment that was posted before, but these listening things are all subjective anyway. My experience has been great in comparision with the real thing...

John
Old 11th April 2003
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
Know what you mean about the build quality... I think the TG1 is fantastic, but it feels worryingly lightweight and bendy for a Β£4k box. Looks like it's going to be an A/B between the LTD1 and Vipre.
Old 11th April 2003
Founder

"Looks like it's 'Macaroni and Cheese' dinner for several months."

heh

Old 11th April 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Chandler LTD-1

I've owned an LTD-1 for quite a while and I love it. I also have a pair of Chandler 2254a's. They are incredible. Period.
πŸ“ Reply