The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Option number one, two or three? (empirical, thermionic, tk audio) samples inside
Old 9th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice to get the chance of kind of hearing these wishlist-/dreamlist-boxes compared to each other!

And I just had to compare how my Overstayer FET compressor sounded next to these others. I must say I'm satisfied with how close it is sounding, at least to me. I did not squeeze the mix as hard as these other dudes. That might be because the Overstayer don't sound too nice that heavy compressing, or that I don't like that amount of compression, or because I'm a noob, or some other reasons. I also ran the signal through my TLA A4 summer with the NOS Telefunken tube engaged, as it is part of my setup. Duet as in/outs. That may add a little too.

Out of the posted examples I kind of preferred the Pendulum, it had some nice punch and overall nice sounding compression to me. Phatter drums to my ear. Maybe it's because I'm used to FET compression from the Overstayer?

I did like the TK too, which is good since it's not that expensive! I actually could afford it sometime.

Although the TK is pretty clean, and I thought I liked more colored boxes, but I kind of like the idea of having a pretty invisible box that will work with most things. Since my music (SP1200 or MPC2000XL mostly) already is pretty "colored" (as I tend to use a lot of 60s/70s samples from records etc.) it can soon be too much or too muddy. If I were mostly using really clean samples, soft synths and such all mixed ITB etc., then I think I would have preferred more coloration and character. But I think I have found out that it can be too much for my style, as my samples are already processed with that kind of gear, even mastered for and pressed to vinyl...
Old 3rd November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Index of /samples/bunchocompressors

i like:
Phoenix better than P3s & Obsidian no lofi
similar to Manley V~Mu, but smaller.

i like TK BC1 dream round fat sound,
but lacks the details of others.
Pendulum pl2 its similar to TK BC1 but more statick.

i like OCL-2 details, punchier than Chandler Germ, sweeter than P3S, but darker than 1968ME
AS C2 its similar but darker/less brighter more analogue.
api 2500, similar to AS C2 analog sound, but bigger, a bit less detailed.
Atomic SB, almost as big as 1968ME, almost as transparent, but a bit less statick, very similar to Api 2500 but darker.
1968ME, sounds balanced, Bigger & brighter than 2500 & P3S, fat, a bit more transparent than C2... but a bit more statick...
Manley v~mu Bigger sound.
Chandler germ the brightest & detailed, as big as C2.
Empirical EL7, the dirtyest, darkest, fattest, most dynamic, less statick sound.

UBK fatso, its interesting.

in other words:
if chandler germ had the ocl-2 punch.
if ocl-2 were as bright as 1968
if EL-7 were as bright / detailed as Chandler Germ
if Chandler germ were as fat as EL-7
if 1968 were as dynamic as EL-7

Incomplete Darkest to Brightest Scale:
EL-7 ... ... ... ... ... ... Alan Smart C2 ... OCL-2 ... Atomic SB .. Api 2500 ... 1968ME ... ... ... Chandler Germ

Incomplete Fatest to Thinnest Scale:
EL-7 ... Manley V~Mu ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
Old 29th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2 years late i know but i'd love to hear those samples.
the links don't seem to work on safari or chrome.
📝 Reply