The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Forssell SMP-2 vs Gordon Model 5
Old 26th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Years back, I borrowed a friend's original SMP-2 for my amateur home solo recordings on my Steinway D.

The Forssell and the Fearn VT2 had the most open, sweet and musical sound out of the many pres I tried.

I lost the desire to record at home - these days I prefer to leave that to the Pro engineers , my time is better spent practicing and writing - but "that" sound is itched in my mind.
Old 2nd January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek ➡️
As a practical result, SMP-2b has yet a bit more sophisticated sound than SMP-2a in most aspects, I tested it in detail. Life is an evolution Except vocals, I don't use any other preamp than SMP-2 on everything. Simply amazing.
What's your vocal choice(s) preamp nowadays?
Old 19th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you are interested, I have just posted some sound examples of the new Acousence mic pre vs. Pueblo and NPNG here: Gordon vs. Pueblo (vs. Forssell, Pendulum, NPNG, Audio Upgrades...).

I have also compared the Gordon with NPNG and Pueblo, and maybe others. You can find many samples of mic pre comparisons in my big mic pre comparison thread: Gordon vs. Pueblo (vs. Forssell, Pendulum, NPNG, Audio Upgrades...).

I will soon compare the Fearn and some other new mic pres I've bought to Acousence, Pueblo etc., and post the results in the mic pre thread mentioned above.
Old 27th February 2021
Lives for gear
If you want a Forssell preamp, you need to act now:

Old 27th February 2021 | Show parent
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fred Forssell is the greatest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr ➡️
If you want a Forssell preamp, you need to act now:

Old 27th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
We still have few last amazing SMP-2 preamps available ... (MADA-2 maybe too if ordered ASAP). If interested , please let me know ... I don't use anything else in my studio ...

http://www.velvetsound.net/en/forssell-technologies-21/
Old 27th February 2021
Gear Nut
I bought one from Ivo. Rack format. It's one of the best pre-amp ever made. It's quite "uncoloured" machine.
But It's have guts and mojo too! Super if you record piano, vocal, acoustic, anything, and want to start more processing( if needed), from pure table
Forssell is audio history.
Greetings
Johannes
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Firewall preamp

Is there significant different between the 500 series and rack preamps? I have the 500 and love them, always wondered about the rack

Quote:
We still have few last amazing SMP-2 preamps available ... (MADA-2 maybe too if ordered ASAP). If interested , please let me know ... I don't use anything else in my studio ...

http://www.velvetsound.net/en/forssell-technologies-21/
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Rack version is always a bit more sophisticated (independent power supply and other circuits etc.)
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunny72 ➡️
Is there significant different between the 500 series and rack preamps? I have the 500 and love them, always wondered about the rack
I’ve had both, but currently have the rack. Both are awesome and sound great. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. They’ve been my go-to for years for acoustic instruments, both the 500 and 19” rack versions.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In the end my travel plans changed, so I could prepare some set of samples. These are in no way any precise "scientific" samples, we did not make them with such an intention, these are just spontaneous quick sessions that we enjoyed, please take these samples only "as is".

With one exception, the performances are not the same, things were played again after a preamp was switched, so small nuances, distance, dynamics etc. could have changed, the same phrase in another sample may not be exactly the same loud, the tone could be created with a different strike etc. So you must listen to it with such an awareness and to try to get the overall "mood" of each preamp, that in spite of the mentioned imperfections sounds to me quite consistent on basically all the sources ...

The preamps used in all the samples are Gordon model 5, Forssell SMP-2 and Thermionic Culture Earlybird 2.2. In one case BAE DMP is added. Forssell MADA-2 used in all cases.

The files are .zip including always the folder with samples of all the preamps in 96/24

SONG1 voice - guitar (Chuck Le Monds), recorded just mono on Horch RM2J microphone

SONG1 simultaneous take

the same song, this time recorded simultaneously on two closely placed Schoeps MK22 each connected to one preamp (Gordon - Forssell)

SONG2 FULL

Another nice song (again sung by Chuck Le Monds), this time recorded on Horch + 1 Schoeps MK22 on guitar, each time these two mics were connected to one preamp. Here I used a little of compression to make it sounding as if "polished"

If it is too big for you, here it is in 44/16 www.savitamusic.com/gordon/song2full1644.zip

SONG2 mono with BAE

Here is the same song as recorded only on Horch mono, with added BAE DMP version for comparison (4 preamps used for the same thing). BAE brought quite an interesting change ...

If it is too big for you, here it is in 44/16 www.savitamusic.com/gordon/song2mono1644.zip

MONOCHORD

Monochord recorded on Schoeps MK-2 stereo pair

GUITAR DUO

Two guitars recorded on Schoeps MK22 ORTF pair

SMALL FLUTE

Small bamboo flute recorded on MK2 stereo pair

VIOLA GUITAR SWING

Rough quick improvisation on viola guitar on MK21 NOS pair (with Achim Kirchmair - guitar)

VIOLA SOLO

Few tones on viola damore solo on Schoeps MK2 pair (only Gordon and Forssell)

Enjoy
I know its a stale post but any chance you still have the samples?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

I would be interested too!
📝 Reply