The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aurora GTC2 Users
Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Aurora GTC2 Users

I"m considering picking one of these up. what are you guys finding it really works well on? can you describe the characteristics? also will it differ enough from the ones i have?

my current 2 channel hardware comps are:

shadow hills mastering comp
crane song stc-8
alan smart c2
api 2500

thanks!
Old 14th February 2009

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Me too

I'd like to hear from GTC2 users too. It would be the first outboard compressor that I've owned and I'm considering it.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Hello???
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle ➑️
I"m considering picking one of these up. what are you guys finding it really works well on? can you describe the characteristics? also will it differ enough from the ones i have?

crane song stc-8
alan smart c2
api 2500

thanks!
As someone who was involved with the development of this unit, I am extremely biased. But, I will say that the GTC2 is completely different than any of the other units you own.

The best way to describe it.... is take the compression characteristics of units like the 1176 (fet) and LA2a (opto), then offer more control and flexibility, and add the tonal qualities of a Class A Neve and that's what you got.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just got GTC2 this week and must say I'm very impressed. Own a C1 and used have a Chandler TG1, Vintech 609CA. Havent tried it on drums or mixbuss yet, but for vocals and bass this is the best compressor I've ever tried. It's so easy to dial in and actually hear whats happening. Tried it with guitar aswell and it worked very good, but even if it's close to the 1176 it's not quite the same... Even if I'm not a pro I've been recording for more than 20 years and for my ears this is the most musical compressor I've ever heard.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
As someone who was involved with the development of this unit, I am extremely biased. But, I will say that the GTC2 is completely different than any of the other units you own.

The best way to describe it.... is take the compression characteristics of units like the 1176 (fet) and LA2a (opto), then offer more control and flexibility, and add the tonal qualities of a Class A Neve and that's what you got.
thanks tony. i sent you an email about availability. how do you generally set it for the mix buss?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
thanks tony. i sent you an email about availability. how do you generally set it for the mix buss?
Cool.

I prefer the opto setting on 2 buss with a low ratio and a faster release.... the attack usually depends on the song.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah, that's what i was curious about. opto, fet, or combo. the shadow hills opto is nice on the mix also.

got your email. i'll be in touch next week.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlin ➑️
Just got GTC2 this week and must say I'm very impressed. Own a C1 and used have a Chandler TG1, Vintech 609CA (which I didnt like at all). Havent tried it on drums or mixbuss yet, but for vocals and bass this is the best compressor I've ever tried. It's so easy to dial in and actually hear whats happening. Tried it with guitar aswell and it worked very good, but even if it's close to the 1176 it's not quite the same... Even if I'm not a pro I've been recording for more than 20 years and for my ears this is the most musical compressor I've ever heard.

Can you elaborate why you didn't like it the vintech 609ca at all? I don't own it. But I am planning to buy this or a AMS Neve 33609 JD from Vintage King. I have heard some samples here at GS and it sounds very good according to the samples. Just curious why you are so turned off on that particular unit? Is it because its a "vintech" (Vintech gets bashed alot here on GS if you didn't know) or is there something specific on its ability to compress a signal or transfer sound?

Every time I hear someone mentioning that Vintech products are so bad, I would like to know the details to understand the reason for the bash on Vintech. Because I have been very happy with there X series pre amps/eqs and have no complaints but applause for Dallas's work, especially on the X73i. The Eqs are just superb. From what I heard, he worked his butt off to make those products. And spent lots of time and research. Its a shame people beat his products down for no good apparent reason. Because I know alot more worse products out there that I wouldn't spend a cent on.

Best regards to Sweden. Awesome musicians there. I have had wonderful experiences playing with a swedish drummer and bassist back in my power trio days in Los Angeles. Really good musicians.

Can anyone else chime in on the GTQ2s? I thought there would be alot more users here. I have had thoughts about buying a pair. Got a buddy who loves it. And he also owns AMS modules. Cheers
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi Donnx!
Thanx for the kind words about sweden.
Never been to Atlanta, but I wouldnt mind being in a sunny California at the moment.

First of all, I have nothing against Vintech. Neve clones for reasonable prices can't be bad, but the 609CA wasnt for me. I'm a lazy guy and like things go easy and I just didnt get that feeling with 609CA. I realize "didnt like at all" sounds a little hard, so lets say it just didnt do it for me, instead.
Regarding the GTC2, for me its the opposite so far, even with small changes its so easy to both see and feel what you're doing and dial in the sound youre after.

But people have different needs and tastes, so it's just my opinion.

Peace
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX ➑️
Can anyone else chime in on the GTQ2s? I thought there would be alot more users here. I have had thoughts about buying a pair. Got a buddy who loves it. And he also owns AMS modules. Cheers
The problem is trying to get a demo of any Aurora Audio piece is like asking for the list of the 104 guys that tested positive for steroids in major league baseball in 2003-2004...it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

So if you want to try it you have to buy it on blind faith. In the past this is how we bought lots of gear and sometimes you hit a homerun and other times you struck out. These days since their are demos for lots of things its a tough one to swallow.

But hey it worked for the Shadow Hills stuff.

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
GTC2 Combined

Can someone chime in here?

When using the GTC2 with FET and OPTO combined, is it basically like using 2 mono comppressors in series (i.e., output of one to input of other)? In this mode, do both VUs still work independently and is all the circuitry of each still in the signal path?

Thanks!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlin ➑️
Hi Donnx!
Thanx for the kind words about sweden.
Never been to Atlanta, but I wouldnt mind being in a sunny California at the moment.

First of all, I have nothing against Vintech. Neve clones for reasonable prices can't be bad, but the 609CA wasnt for me. I'm a lazy guy and like things go easy and I just didnt get that feeling with 609CA. I realize "didnt like at all" sounds a little hard, so lets say it just didnt do it for me, instead.
Regarding the GTC2, for me its the opposite so far, even with small changes its so easy to both see and feel what you're doing and dial in the sound youre after.

But people have different needs and tastes, so it's just my opinion.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➑️
The problem is trying to get a demo of any Aurora Audio piece is like asking for the list of the 104 guys that tested positive for steroids in major league baseball in 2003-2004...it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

So if you want to try it you have to buy it on blind faith. In the past this is how we bought lots of gear and sometimes you hit a homerun and other times you struck out. These days since their are demos for lots of things its a tough one to swallow.

But hey it worked for the Shadow Hills stuff.

Totally understand and well said. Thanks for your input thomlin.

Thrill, appreciate the info. Never knew that.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thrill,

You can borrow my GTC2 for a day or two if you want.. I'll have some downtime soon when I re-organize my control room at my mixing studio, so you can borrow it then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller ➑️
Can someone chime in here?

When using the GTC2 with FET and OPTO combined, is it basically like using 2 mono comppressors in series (i.e., output of one to input of other)? In this mode, do both VUs still work independently and is all the circuitry of each still in the signal path?

Thanks!
It's like using either two mono or two STEREO compressors in series. The left and right VU's still work independently. You can also use one channel with both Fet and Opto circuits, and the other with just Fet or Opto.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Thrill,

You can borrow my GTC2 for a day or two if you want.. I'll have some downtime soon when I re-organize my control room at my mixing studio, so you can borrow it then.
Hey Tony i definitely will take you up on this.

But more importantly do you have that steroid users list? If you do brother allow me to represent you and lets make lots of moolah!!!!!!!!heh
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey Tony i definitely will take you up on this.

But more importantly do you have that steroid users list? If you do brother allow me to represent you and lets make lots of moolah!!!!!!!!heh
heh
Old 20th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Aurora GTQ2 TS Outputs

I think I read somewhere that the 1/4" outputs are TS and +4? Is this correct? Can it be used simultaneously with the XLR outputs, as a split? If it is +4, and given that my unbalanced gear wants levels closer to -10, what is the practical use for a +4 TS output?
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222 ➑️
I think I read somewhere that the 1/4" outputs are TS and +4? Is this correct? Can it be used simultaneously with the XLR outputs, as a split? If it is +4, and given that my unbalanced gear wants levels closer to -10, what is the practical use for a +4 TS output?
Hi

You also posted this to me as an email and I responded. If you want -10dBu out of the unbalanced jack just put a resistive attenuator in the body of the jack plug you plug into the socket.

Typically a 3300 ohm in series with the signal and a 1600 ohm from that to the screen would give you around -10dB referenced to the XLR balanced output.

As I explained in the email, it's easier to attenuate 0dBu (or whatever the output level is) down to -10dBu or dBV with a two resistor attenuator. If the output was set at -10dBu and you wanted 0dBu, you'd need an external amplifier to raise it up.

So I chose to make the unbalanced output the same level as the transformer balanced XLR output. It's useful to have two independent outputs anyway.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Geoff, makes sense. After I posted this I decided it would be better to contact you directly by email, hence the question in 2 places.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T ➑️
.. it's easier to attenuate 0dBu (or whatever the output level is) down to -10dBu or dBV with a two resistor attenuator. If the output was set at -10dBu and you wanted 0dBu, you'd need an external amplifier to raise it up.

So I chose to make the unbalanced output the same level as the transformer balanced XLR output. It's useful to have two independent outputs anyway.
This was a great decision, because it allows me to use the unbalanced output during tracking for parallel processing.
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX ➑️
Can you elaborate why you didn't like it the vintech 609ca at all? I don't own it. But I am planning to buy this or a AMS Neve 33609 JD from Vintage King. I have heard some samples here at GS and it sounds very good according to the samples. Just curious why you are so turned off on that particular unit? Is it because its a "vintech" (Vintech gets bashed alot here on GS if you didn't know) or is there something specific on its ability to compress a signal or transfer sound?

Every time I hear someone mentioning that Vintech products are so bad, I would like to know the details to understand the reason for the bash on Vintech. Because I have been very happy with there X series pre amps/eqs and have no complaints but applause for Dallas's work, especially on the X73i. The Eqs are just superb. From what I heard, he worked his butt off to make those products. And spent lots of time and research. Its a shame people beat his products down for no good apparent reason. Because I know alot more worse products out there that I wouldn't spend a cent on.

Best regards to Sweden. Awesome musicians there. I have had wonderful experiences playing with a swedish drummer and bassist back in my power trio days in Los Angeles. Really good musicians.

GTQ2 Mk III...You are asking....I have (bought from Tony) not the compressor..which one do you mean?
If it's the pre they are fabulous in my opinion. On male vocals and elec guitar.
The Eq is simpler than the Vintech..Sometimes I may have to add more eq in line but rarely unless the source is really bad.
I am looking into Vintech too though to have a comparison. Maybe the X73 or 81.
I like mostly clean stuff for acoustic instruments but the iron on certain things like vocals.

If you meant the GTC2 then I don't know ..haven't tried it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This was a great decision, because it allows me to use the unbalanced output during tracking for parallel processing.
Wow, 1) I never realized that about the outputs and 2) I never thought about the parallel trick. Thanks for the lesson, I think I shall patch those outputs to the bay and try 'er out!

Eric
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
So if you want to try it you have to buy it on blind faith.
I was lucky; about the time I was getting into my first high end preamps (2005) I made an aquaintance of someone who happened to have several different ones that he allowed me to hear, among them was the GTQ2. It was remarkably better than the others, and a year later I could finally afford one! Subsequent Aurora Audio purchases (my GTC2 and GTP8) were made on blind faith I suppose, but I was never disappointed.

The aforementioned aquaintance who turned me on to the GTQ2 didn't predjudice my evaluation, but after the GTQ2 knocked me out, he did confess that it was his favorite as well. He actually just won an award for his role in mixing the recently released live Smashing Pumpkins dvd! (see https://gearspace.com/board/good-news-channel/361122-im-up-sound-mixing-award-new-post.html )

You really can't go wrong with the GTC2.
Old 3rd April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does the GTQ2 have the same compressor in it as the GTC2, but the GTC2 is just the comp and has 2?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy ➑️
Does the GTQ2 have the same compressor in it as the GTC2, but the GTC2 is just the comp and has 2?
Assuming you actually mean the GTQC channel strip, yes, it has the same compressor as the GTC2.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi

The GTQC is one half of a GTQ2 mic pre and one half of a GTC2 compressor

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

GTQ2 - Stereo mic preamp...

GTC2 - Stereo Compressor

GTQC - Channel strip (pre, eq and comp)

My understanding is that GTQC has the same comp as the GTC2...

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong...

T...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday ➑️
GTQ2 - Stereo mic preamp...

GTC2 - Stereo Compressor

GTQC - Channel strip (pre, eq and comp)

My understanding is that GTQC has the same comp as the GTC2...

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong...

T...
Nope, you're not wrong, you're 100% correct

heh
Old 4th April 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
i just got my gtqc yesterday and must say that i am very impressed with the unit

one serious piece of kit.

pre, eq and compressor simple to use and sounds fabulous!

great job geoff
Old 6th April 2009

🎧 10 years
i can only vouch for the gtq2 pre and its superb in a nutshell on most things , extra special on some vocals.

Quote:

crane song stc-8
alan smart c2
api 2500

thanks!
πŸ“ Reply