The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aurora GTC2 Users
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Bump this thread for more thoughts....I'm seriously considering the GTC2 after getting a GTQ2.
Old 3rd May 2013

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've had mine for about 2 years, and love it. The FET setting doesn't get much use, but the opto is badass, and the combo opto fet is also great. For some reason the fet setting doesn't work for what I do. I thought it would be great on drums, but it seems to take the piss out of them. On Combo, that is mediated by the opto, so it is more useful to me.

I do wish it had a sidechain, but you can sidechain a single channel with the other in stereo mode. I got mine used for $2k, so I can't complain. It really is the only comp I need. It is quite versatile.

Amazing on opto for hollowbody bass, my hofner beatle in combination with the Massive Passive is the best bass sound I have ever heard.
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Anyone have any clips they can post using this comp? Can the FET do an 1176 type sound? Also, would be great to hear a before/after of it used on mix buss.
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ive had mine fir a few years now. I mostly use the FET setting. Auto timing and a low ratio. Barely tapping the compresson.
At least in my unit, the opto mode boosts the high end of the program quite a bit. I use it to add top to duller sources. Also works good on kick drum.

It took many months to get used to using this box, but now it has become my go to tracking compressor for nearly everthing. Vocals for sure.
Fet for "nuetral" opto for "enhanced"

The line amps do have a bunch of color and I often use the GTC as a gain stage with little or no compression.
Old 22nd May 2013 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by balanceman ➑️
Ive had mine fir a few years now. I mostly use the FET setting. Auto timing and a low ratio. Barely tapping the compresson.
At least in my unit, the opto mode boosts the high end of the program quite a bit. I use it to add top to duller sources. Also works good on kick drum.

It took many months to get used to using this box, but now it has become my go to tracking compressor for nearly everthing. Vocals for sure.
Fet for "nuetral" opto for "enhanced"

The line amps do have a bunch of color and I often use the GTC as a gain stage with little or no compression.

That is odd, I have always found the opto to be transparent while the fet rolled off the high end. Maybe it's because I have it on opto all the time, and have gotten used to it. But I have never perceived a high end boost. I'm in Oakland as well, you have a studio here?
Old 23rd May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I definitely don't hear a top end boost in opto on any of the units I've used/ tested. Also, FET has the more "effected" or dirtier qualities that I notice right off the bat (although again no top end boost). Opto is easily more transparent.

I think your FET and Opto switch is reversed.
Old 23rd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 ➑️
That is odd, I have always found the opto to be transparent while the fet rolled off the high end. Maybe it's because I have it on opto all the time, and have gotten used to it. But I have never perceived a high end boost. I'm in Oakland as well, you have a studio here?
yeah- this better describes what I hear; a bt darker/woolier/heavier in FET and more clear/transparant in opto.

Switches aren't reveresed, but the unit had to be calbrated a few times - my ears were telling me it wasn't behaving as it was supposed to.\Geoff sorted it out after a couple trips to the lab. They changed some of the alignment procedures after dealing with my unit/ears!
Old 24th May 2013

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Does anyone find the fet to be anything like an 1176?
Old 24th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Does anyone find the fet to be anything like an 1176?
Sure. You can get the same style of compression going... but, the attack/ release controls of an 1176 are not as wide ranging as on the GTC2. So, for a similar type of compression as an 1176, you're only going to be using the first 25% of the GTC2's attack range, etc.

It's capable of doing a lot more than the 1176 can.

🎧 10 years
I have the Aurora GTQ mkll and the GTC2 and the more i use them the more i know i made the right Choice. Thanks Tony !!! and Thanks Geoff !!!
Old 24th May 2013

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I love the lights on it too. Has anyone tried the external link to use as a sidechain?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I love the lights on it too. Has anyone tried the external link to use as a sidechain?
Hi

That's not impossible but needs a little care and ingenuity!

That link is a dc voltage between 0v (no compression) and +10v (compressing like heck).

So you need an audio interface that can work with your sidechain audio signal and have the necessary rectification and timing to drive that input proportional to the compression you desire.

Don't plug audio into that jack socket

Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T ➑️
Hi

That's not impossible but needs a little care and ingenuity!

That link is a dc voltage between 0v (no compression) and +10v (compressing like heck).

So you need an audio interface that can work with your sidechain audio signal and have the necessary rectification and timing to drive that input proportional to the compression you desire.

Don't plug audio into that jack socket

I have an analog envelope follower on my Moog MF-101, it outputs 0-5v, I am pretty sure. It takes an audio signal and outputs control voltage, which I guess is just a rectifier, right?

I guess I could fiddle with it until it gives me the same compression as without the sidechain.

If it works, I will try running LFO's and modulation through it. Bet you've never done that, Geoff!
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have an analog envelope follower on my Moog MF-101, it outputs 0-5v, I am pretty sure. It takes an audio signal and outputs control voltage, which I guess is just a rectifier, right?

I guess I could fiddle with it until it gives me the same compression as without the sidechain.

If it works, I will try running LFO's and modulation through it. Bet you've never done that, Geoff!
Hi

No, I haven't ! But the dc is steered by diodes so, if your dc level is below that generated by the compressor's side chain, it won't do anything.

Once the dc rises above the potential generated by the internal side chain the external signal takes over and forces the circuit to compress harder.

A minor tip though, if you harm the internal circuits in any way by applying an excessive voltage or similar mischief, the warranty is invalidated and you pay for the repair.

Posted from my iPhone
Old 5th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
GTC2 Here

This is a great box! And Geoff and Alan and the Aurora guys are the best!
I've had mine for a few years now, alongside many other cool limiters (Chandler, Manley, Urei, Retro, ASB, Spectrasonics, Inovonics, etc.), and it really does many things well. My favorite is for kick drum, vocals, drum buss, and master buss. That said, I have used it on guitars, bass, horns, hand percussion, acoustic guitar, and other assorted sources, and every time it was really good.

Referencing an earlier post regarding the fet setting taking the piss out of a drumkit, I will nudge Geoff and Tony about my only teeny gripe with the unit and that is the maximum 5 millisecond attack time - pretty quick for a lot of things. This is probably what the poster is hearing as the piss goes away.... When I use an SSL compressor, I am almost always at 10 or 30ms on the attack time, and I believe that an 1176's slowest attack time is 17ms? Correct me if I am wrong, please....

I would love to see a mod for this - even getting up to 25ms would be huge...

I did talk with Geoff once about this, and I respectfully withdrew my suggestion-- also, it was a very busy time for Aurora, so I didn't want to push...

But -- this is a very minor quibble with an outstanding piece of gear! Aurora stuff rules....GTQ next on my list.....
Old 6th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma ➑️
Referencing an earlier post regarding the fet setting taking the piss out of a drumkit, I will nudge Geoff and Tony about my only teeny gripe with the unit and that is the maximum 5 millisecond attack time - pretty quick for a lot of things. This is probably what the poster is hearing as the piss goes away.... When I use an SSL compressor, I am almost always at 10 or 30ms on the attack time, and I believe that an 1176's slowest attack time is 17ms? Correct me if I am wrong, please....
This is incorrect... The 1176's attack time is measured in MICRO-seconds. At it's slowest setting, it is 800 microseconds or 0.8 milliseconds... compared to 5.0 milliseconds of the GTC2.

The GTC2 has an incredibly wide range of control for the attack and release settings.
Old 3rd August 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****fulks ➑️
I sold my Tube tech CL1B after doing direct comparisons with the GTC2. The GTC2 sounds way better and is more flexible. It shines on everything I throw at it most notably vocals and mix buss! There's no magic attack / release setting for all material, but I tend to like to keep the ratio low.
Its one man's opinion, but this is a post that really makes me sit up and take notice
Old 27th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordpriest ➑️
Its one man's opinion, but this is a post that really makes me sit up and take notice
Fast forward a few years @ warlordpriest and the CL1B is back in my arsenal alongside the gtc2. They are both great, different flavors! If I could choose one would be the gtc2 for its versatility and dual channels, but sometime the TT is just what the doctor ordered!

You can hear some of their sounds in in this video, will work on more specific tests soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7VqjGtfHUw
Old 27th October 2016

🎧 10 years
Do you think I would enjoy the gtc2 more than my Obsidian on the 2 buss?
Old 4th December 2016
Gear Head

Those are apples n oranges. Obsidian is vca/ssl style I believe. GTC2 is opto/fet/neve style. I bet you could great results with either.
Old 11th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got a GTC2 (earlier model) and love it to bits. It sprinkles fairy dust on audio sources and magically makes more three dimensional and fuller.

Last edited by waldie wave; 11th May 2019 at 04:48 AM..
Old 11th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****fulks ➑️
Those are apples n oranges. Obsidian is vca/ssl style I believe. GTC2 is opto/fet/neve style. I bet you could great results with either.
Yeah the GTC2 is more like rhe Manley Slam but with Neve transformer like chocolate sound versus Manley Tube.
Old 15th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo ➑️
Yeah the GTC2 is more like rhe Manley Slam but with Neve transformer like chocolate sound versus Manley Tube.
Glad to hear as I don't need to get the Manley SLAM now.
Old 15th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave ➑️
Glad to hear as I don't need to get the Manley SLAM now.
Oh no. You need both

The SLAM also has preamps. So not an exact comparison. In operation they are similar though.
πŸ“ Reply