Quantcast
Just got some new DPA mics. Anyone have 2cents? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just got some new DPA mics. Anyone have 2cents?
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just got some new DPA mics. Anyone have 2cents?

I've done lots of experimenting with mics lately on acoustics and overheads. I have the Royer 121s and love them but they have a definite sound.
I like my KM184s,414s but something wasn't where I wanted it to be.
I've experimented with all my high end Tube mics as overheads and I love them but they have a 'sound'.
Today I bought a matched pair of DPA (formerly B&K) 4015s.
They're a new model with a wide cardiod pattern.
I was amazed at the clarity, low noise, depth of field and transparency on acoustic guitar (a Goodall) and mandolin (which I later'distressed') Anyone out there have any experience with these bad boys. I'm amazed so far but we're still honeymooning.I'm using these on a major label release so I need to get up to speed quick.I appreciate any info and tips.
Chime in please. Thanks.
chap
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Stylin'! You will absolutely love those things. I have a pair of 4011's, but I've only drooled at the 4015's. They are very very similar, so I think I can steer you right.

The off-axis response is absolutely incredible. It sounds just as good as directly on axis, only without the cardioid boost. A stereo pair of those in a room will pick up everything very respectably. You can even point them straight up in the air to get a 360 response that's totally even.

If you use one or two of these on an instrument in a room with other instruments, they will pick up the most workable and desireable bleed picture you could possibly hope for. Superlatives are indeed in order. I just did a session with a pair on a vibraphone, and a drumkit in the room mic'ed with one mic. The bleed is not at all loud from the drums on the vibes tracks, but the net result is a very three-dimensional drum sound that is as stereo as you might wish. It's very uncanny. Very. And of course you can beat the hell out of anything and not stress out those mics, they will take serious, serious sound pressure levels. The high SPL DPA's are used for auto racing, to mic the engines of the race cars. Not necessary for any kind of music application short of mic'ing huge outdoor PA speakers point blank.

I use mine with Manley preamps and I think the combination is divine. With an input signal that crystal clean, the Manleys run as clean as you like, and the stereo imaging on an XY pair is very 3D. The transformer out is optional. It tends to work really well with cymbals, but it's not scary clean like the transformerless out.

I think you now have a pair of some of the most durable, useful tools you could possibly have obtained. The off-axis on those things is just about unique. It's amazing what you can do.

They are great on piano. The amazing off axis response lets you get all the strings, not just the ones the mics are pointing at. They can be very nice on acoustic guitar, but I tend to reach for the tube mics. In a dense mix, I would go for the DPA's for acoustics.
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks

thanks Ted,
You're confirming what I thought I heard.
Normally, I'd use a KM84 or a GT AM40, occassionally a Gold ref on acoustics. Nonoe of them deliverd exactly what I heard.
The DPAs had an incredible stereo image on the acoustic. I'll use them again today and try them into the SLAM!,
cheers,
chap
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What Ted said....

I have a pair of B&K 4003's myself (love 'em), and frequently rent 4011s or 4012s, which are just about always impressive.. I like using the 4003s with the large APE spheres as drum overheads.. the detail is amazing. The 4015 is on my short-list of mics to check out the next time mics are on my budget-agenda.

mazel tov on your new addition(s)
-dave
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
chap,

what Goodall are you playing? I until recently had their terrific Pacific model parlor.
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's the one I have. Tiger maple body with cedar top? I have about 20 acoustics and it's in my top 3 faves right now.
Chap
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yep! amazing right?
πŸ“ Reply