Quantcast
New SSL AWS 900 opinions... - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New SSL AWS 900 opinions...
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #61
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener ➡️
Well, you can't take the functionality out of the equation, because then you end up with "just" a 24 channel great sounding console. Without the DAW control and combination of DAW functions and analog functions the console would be too small, in terms of channel count. One has to have the ability to combine tracks to stems for mixing.

Looking at pure sonics: I have done a lot of testing with summing boxes of all kinds before I made my decission to get the AWS. I used the same mix in Nuendo, brought out to 14 stems (7 stereo stems). When listening back to all the different summing boxes the SSL X-rack created the most space "inside" the mix (besides a Creation Audio Labs modified Ghost). In other words I could hear a space around the vocals and other instruments, if that makes any sense. That's why I decided on the AWS, because it also gave me faders to mix with and the opportunity to mix analog, even if only wth 24 channels.

I brought up mixes on the AWS that had been mixed fully digital before (with stems) and just incorporating the AWS analog summing opened them up width and depth wise. It's that last little bit of depth that you are used to from mixing on a large format console, that I could never get with fully digital mixes.

I also seems that my other analog outboard gear is not quite as effective anymore when mixing through the analog channels. It felt like those analog boxes where doing more with less knob turning than they are doing now. I can't quite make sense of it yet.

Just wish they would hurry up and get the SE upgrade over here, the MIDI is a PITA.

That said, since I'm building the new studio I didn't have a lot of time yet to really sit down and get deep into it (will next week though), but the sound difference is obvious to me.
I enjoyed reading your answers to Halo. I know you already covered this topic but do you think it's more inconvenient mixing a number of large tracks like 70 tracks with an AWS900 than a big console?

This unit looks very interesting too me for some time past.

Thanks!
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Group bussing on the SSL AWS 900+?

Someone else asked a version of this and it's something I'm trying to figure out as well:

How do you group buss on the SSL AWS?

I tend to EQ and put some dynamics over kicks, snares, etc, but then buss ALL the drums to one group for a global comps that glues the entire drum sound.

I do this for guitars, vocals, etc.

How best to do this on the SSL AWS?

Thanks

-a
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #63
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The AWS is an 8 bus desk. Assign all drum tracks to Bus 1-2, Guitars to 3-4 etc etc
Switches are are the top of each channel on the meterbridge.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️
Someone else asked a version of this and it's something I'm trying to figure out as well:

How do you group buss on the SSL AWS?

I tend to EQ and put some dynamics over kicks, snares, etc, but then buss ALL the drums to one group for a global comps that glues the entire drum sound.

I do this for guitars, vocals, etc.

How best to do this on the SSL AWS?

Thanks

-a
don't have an AWS but i've spent plenty of hours trying to figure out how i would handle a complex mix with an AWS, as i love the idea, but unless you pretty much want to use the AWS for drums alone, lead vocal + a couple of extra things and do everything else ITB, or stem almost everything out including drums, i ended up with the impression that 24 channels could be a little shy (also use outboard EFX here), but seeing as plenty of good sounding records are being mixed on these, it sure would be nice if some of you shared some of your methods. thanks for asking the question halo.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 
TornadoTed's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
The AWS is an 8 bus desk. Assign all drum tracks to Bus 1-2, Guitars to 3-4 etc etc
Switches are are the top of each channel on the meterbridge.
I get that but how do you use say an outboard compressor or EQ on a buss during mixdown? For example parallel compression on drums.

I couldn't see any buss inserts on the connections in the manual.
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
  #66
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
True Ted....

Patchbay for inserts, no solution for parallel unless you use 2 stereo buses or the Aux sends. However, both the main mix buses (REC and MIX) can do this with the sigma button
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
TornadoTed's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the answer Jim.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Skip Burrows's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️
Someone else asked a version of this and it's something I'm trying to figure out as well:

How do you group buss on the SSL AWS?

I tend to EQ and put some dynamics over kicks, snares, etc, but then buss ALL the drums to one group for a global comps that glues the entire drum sound.

I do this for guitars, vocals, etc.

How best to do this on the SSL AWS?

Thanks

-a
Hey Halo, This is how to do an AWS IMVHO if you have the time. It was A pain in the Butt however worth it. I've got several consoles including a Huge SSL 4K and I must say I am really enjoying exploring the AWS. Ohh by the way, The setup has all 24 channels of X-logic Dynamics Pre wired to the Bay. If you want a Comp/Gate just press one button on the AWS and Poof there ya go. Also DAW control is quite good. I Have An ICON D-control and the control is No where near that however the nuts and bolts are there.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
New SSL AWS 900 opinions...-green-room-new.jpg  
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
  #69
Jam
Lives for gear
 
Jam's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
SE software allows you to set a predefined or calibrated listening level.

Simply pushing the Monitor volume pot will recall that level (85db for me)

Also I 'm happy to welcome back Auto Cue!

Sam
Solid State Logic
Thanks Sam
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
  #70
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Burrows ➡️
Hey Halo, This is how to do an AWS IMVHO if you have the time. It was A pain in the Butt however worth it. I've got several consoles including a Huge SSL 4K and I must say I am really enjoying exploring the AWS. Ohh by the way, The setup has all 24 channels of X-logic Dynamics Pre wired to the Bay. If you want a Comp/Gate just press one button on the AWS and Poof there ya go. Also DAW control is quite good. I Have An ICON D-control and the control is No where near that however the nuts and bolts are there.

Good Luck
So, it's another work flow - working with a number of stems - which you get used to, but of course needs some practice to get familiar with.
What was it like to switch from a big console where "everything" laid out to an AWS? You already mentioned the DAW control which must be really cool but would you say it's more convenient than working on a huge desk?
It's great to hear your opinions as you own both, a big console and an AWS.

Thank you!
A
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
  #71
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I've got a problem with my SSL AWS900:

LINK TO MY THREAD
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
  #72
Gear Maniac
 
Gzmo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ok I'll bite too.Have to agree fully with MPCist.
a.
i love my board too
b.
we've got an good old G+ in the other room i love that as well.thats for mixing aws is for tracking and mixing on smaller sessions.headroom is a bit bigger on G+side i guess but i love the fast tr and fast automation.Cant wait to see the new SE features... like...AUTOCUE...soft boot wtf?...maybe 2 stereo channels pleease
c.
center section is really good and helpfull to work with PT.the bus compress works nearly the same
what else do I need?
Yep indeed it works...perfect for me

RoB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
OK, I'll bite:

a. I still like my board.
b. the overall sound is good. I also work out of facilities with 9000J's and G's and find that I really like the sounds I'm getting out of my AWS900. It could use a few more channels (The duality covers that tho) and it would be nice if I could replace a few mono channels with stereo ones... heh (dreaming)
c. summing/center section is good and sounds like a good analog console.

I really don't know what else to say except that it works... heh
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
True Ted....

Patchbay for inserts, no solution for parallel unless you use 2 stereo buses or the Aux sends. However, both the main mix buses (REC and MIX) can do this with the sigma button
No insert on the 8 buss channels? That's seems odd to me. How come?

-andrews
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
  #74
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️
No insert on the 8 buss channels? That's seems odd to me. How come?

-andrews
I have to think pretty hard but i am pretty sure none of the SSL consoles had inserts on the busses.
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
  #75
Lives for gear
 
jindrich's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Inserts on the busses, wot?

On an old SSL the busses were of the "floating type" category, so you could route them back into any channel strip, where you could use the insert point to put whatever you wanted in the middle of the path. That was when consoles were the size of soccer fields and you used half the board for track returns and the other half for this kind of stuff.

I'm not quite sure right now but from memory I think that on the AWS you can route the busses to the monitors but not to the mix/recorder path. In order to do that you could use some summing mixer (like an XRACK) to send (and sum) all the bus outs and then send them back into the AWS mix path. This way you can insert anything on the busses, either on the patchbay or on the XRACK insert points.
Old 18th September 2017 | Show parent
  #76
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts ➡️
Hahhahahahahaha .... yeah right. LMAOROFL. You haven't been in this business very long have you.

Take a look at the offer of second hands ... and fwiw ... the ones you find on the internet are EXPENSIVE. I know a guy here who makes a living of used SSL's. He usually buys them in crappy states with lots of default for virtually nothing .... 35k MAX for a 56 or 64 channel one , and that would have to be one of the more recent 4k's. He then repairs and recaps them and sells them at a profit for like 40 or 45 k ... depending the work he had on them.

25 - 40 % of the original value in 8 years from now ? LOL .... good luck.

It's 2017. What's the used price now?
Old 19th September 2017 | Show parent
  #77
Deleted 1846071
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
It's 2017. What's the used price now?
$35-40k
Old 18th November 2017
  #78
Deleted 300228d
Guest
How is it as far as power and heat?
Old 19th November 2017 | Show parent
  #79
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
The AWS runs fairly warm but not large console suntan hot.

Draws around 1.3 Amps
Old 19th November 2017
  #80
Lives for gear
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
My favorite mixer for tracking and mixing is the Duality. But most cannot afford one. The AWS is the next best. All you need is a X Rack with silver Dynamics to fill the gap of missing comps on the unit. I would only want to work with a console that has DAW control. And while the AWS DAW control is far from perfect, it's the best one out there.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 577 views: 33491
Avatar for kdm
kdm 1st July 2009
replies: 1030 views: 238566
Avatar for ghostwriter
ghostwriter 28th March 2021
replies: 50 views: 5736
Avatar for Animus
Animus 26th April 2010
replies: 7 views: 3432
Avatar for Slogun
Slogun 16th June 2014
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump