Quantcast
Where does the AEA TRP pre stand amongst other preamps? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where does the AEA TRP pre stand amongst other preamps?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Where does the AEA TRP pre stand amongst other preamps?

Is this pre more in the transparent side? Where is it amongst other transparent pres like the Buzz, Grace, John Hardy, etc?
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used the TRP last year with the AEA Ribbon mics and the pre was outstanding.
It is singularly tailored to the ribbon mics, so it's a perfect hand and glove fit.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I used the TRP last year with the AEA Ribbon mics and the pre was outstanding.
It is singularly tailored to the ribbon mics, so it's a perfect hand and glove fit.

+1! Used it last summer at the Clubhouse in Rhinebeck and it sounded great. Transparent and perfect for the AEA ribbons.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I love my TRP. I don't own high end ribbon mics-I have a pair of Fatheads, and they sound powerful and silky on the top. And dead quiet so layering acoustics doesn't give me the build up of noise I used to get with cheaper pre's. Great for my K2 as well. Sorry,I haven't tried the other pres you mention.
Lots of places rent the TRP, give it a shot. This box is well worth the $.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
the TRP pre gives very clean transparent sound, best for ribbon mics (that already color the sound)... such as AEA r84 and R92, Royer 121, Peluso R14...
Old 11th February 2009
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recman ➑️
Is this pre more in the transparent side?
Yes, it's on the "transparent" side but in a very musical way.

Quote:
Where is it amongst other transparent pres like the Buzz, Grace, John Hardy, etc?
It's standing next to the Hardy, just to the right of the Martech MSS-10 but over the left shoulder of the NPNG.

In my opinion [YMMV] it's far more musical than the Grace or the Buzz [or the Millennia for that matter] closer to the Hardy than either the Grace or the Buzz.

There is a new pre I saw from AEA at NAMM... don't know if it's been released yet or not... but it has a pretty damn cool EQ circuit on it that can make your ribbon microphones far more versatile tools. I don't know if it's out yet or not... but if it is, I'd recommend you look into it.

Peace.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with Fletcher and the others who've commented.

The TRP was designed by Fred Forssell, one of the best designers of musical, transparent preamps.

Yes it's only for dynamic mics but you'll have a hard time finding anything that comes close for the money. I think of it like the DAV BG line in terms of value; both are world class pres for reasonable money.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher ➑️
There is a new pre I saw from AEA at NAMM... don't know if it's been released yet or not... but it has a pretty damn cool EQ circuit on it that can make your ribbon microphones far more versatile tools. I don't know if it's out yet or not... but if it is, I'd recommend you look into it.
It's called the RPQ and is shipping now! In addition to 80dB of clean JFET gain it offers P48 phantom power and LF trim and HF boost controls (both tuneable and switchable) to tailor to much bass due to the proximity effect or add just a little bit of sparkle to the top end. It has two channels just like the TRP, but in a full rack space.

More information can be found on AEA's website. There also is a separate thread on GS here!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
TRP is a nice preamp, no doubt, but to my ears sonically just a little modest brother to Fred's masterpieces SMP-2 and JMP-6 that easily overcome it in terms of depth, details and musicality ...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian.david ➑️
It's called the RPQ and is shipping now! In addition to 80dB of clean JFET gain it offers P48 phantom power and LF trim and HF boost controls (both tuneable and switchable) to tailor to much bass due to the proximity effect or add just a little bit of sparkle to the top end. It has two channels just like the TRP, but in a full rack space.

More information can be found on AEA's website. There also is a separate thread on GS here!
Hey Julian, nice to see you here!

War
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The first time I plugged a tube mic into my TRP was a revelation - I was actually hearing what my mic sounded like. Compared to my other clean pres - Rane MS-1, Sytek, and a DAV - the TRP is in a class by itself. (Nothing against the DAV, but I think the TRP must be faster with the transients.)

You can also use an external box for phantom power, made by Peavy or AT, but it sounds like AEA's new preamp with phantom power would be the way to go.

I have used all 84db of the TRP's gain with an AEA R-92 on a kalimba, (a small African instrument with metal tines you play with your thumbs) and on quiet stringed instruments, so anyone doing acoustic music should consider 80db as a minimum gain requirement. Of course, for electric guitars, gain wouldn't be an issue.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
.....Coles 4038....

I just got my Coles 4038. I've been using it so far to record Classical/Nylon string guitar and 12 String...... WOW ! I never a mic could change my view of sound in the world! (I've been using Neumann TLM193, U87, Blue Kiwi, AKG C414, 451, Shure SM7b, 57's......)

The Coles does things no mic does! I want to go back and record EVERY TRACK that I've ever done before! Now, I need a second Coles and maybe a pair of 4040's. Don't get me started on wanting at least a couple of Royers and maybe a AEA R88!!!! I NEED MORE RIBBON MICS!!!!

Anyway, I too would like to know about the AEA TRP (so I can be down with OPP!!!!). I"m currently trying my 4038 with my Wunder PEQ1r', API 3124, & Apogee (Ensemble pres).

MILLENNIA; I thought that the silky "top-end heavy" sound of the Millennia would be a plus; it really did nothing....BLAND. Almost seemed to not have enough gain....wierd.

The Apogee's top-endyness really actually helped the Coles to sound good, AND Apogee's "Soft Limit" sounded really good when the classical/nylon string guitar was playing rest-stroke notes....you could FEEL the notes differently. Not compressor-like, but pillowy and with a nice pressure of the note.

The API; I have a 20dB pad on the output of API so, I didn't get a fair chance to test it here but, it sounded VERY round and fat; too much so for guitar. I think the API would sound great with drums, but that's another tes.

The Wunder; this provided tons of gain and added MORE color. You can FEEL the nice of the guitar, weather it be rest-stroke, tremolo, wow! The Wunder's EQ is a GREAT addition and the Coles take EQ well. I also tried some acoustic 12 string. The pressure and feel of the note separation was unbelievable! The Wunder was my fav of the bunch which suprised me as I thought I would like the Millennia's clean/transparency coupled with the Coles natural color.

For the record.....the Coles will NOT give me the wooshy strumming that my AKG 451 will get.

SO......back to THIS thread.....will the AEA TRP give me what I wanted out of the Millennia and that the Apogee almost gave? Will it leave me missing the Transformer based FATNESS I get out of my Wunders? Does the AEA give a bit more top? I'm assuming that the HPF on the AEA helps to aid in the sound design. Is a transparent pre the key, or is good transformer based pre (with good EQ management capabilities) the key?

At $850, the AEA looks like a GREAT deal!!!!

Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher ➑️
Yes, it's on the "transparent" side but in a very musical way.
+1

The TRP gets lot's of airtime here with 121s on more
intimately scaled instruments such as Harp,
Classical Guitar, bamboo or native flutes and certain percussion such
xylophone, hand bells, Hang, etc.

It's also a sure bet with the SF-12 for OHs on most
acoustic performances.

Despite having a Grace 801, Pendulum MDP-1 and Pacifica
available the TRP sees constant action....
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteflite ➑️
+1

The TRP gets lot's of airtime here with 121s on more
intimately scaled instruments such as Harp,
Classical Guitar, bamboo or native flutes and certain percussion such
xylophone, hand bells, Hang, etc.

It's also a sure bet with the SF-12 for OHs on most
acoustic performances.

Despite having a Grace 801, Pendulum MDP-1 and Pacifica
available the TRP sees constant action....
So you're using the R121 on classical guitar as well? Is it for solo performance or within a denser arrangement? I LOVE darker mics on classical and the ribbon sound I get from my 4038 is killer. I'd love to try a an R121 to compare them!

Any sound samples of classical guitar with the R121?
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Why dont they make a cheaper mono version of it?
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
are you referring to the TRP?

Its already half rack 2 channel. I think 1/4 rack would be a bit small.

Actually we never thought of doing a single channel pre. If we did, it wouldn't be cost effective.

Paul
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No way! A stereo Ribbon Mic Pre is MUCH better..... that way you have a reason to buy more Ribbon mics!

Shoot make a 1 space FOUR CHANNEL version of the AEA!!!!! It WILL get use.....

For the record, I do not own TRP. I'd love to try the newer 1 space/phantom power version. Has anyone else tried it? Does it have the same "goodness" that the TRP has?

I'm still loving my Royer 121 & Coles through my Wunder PEQ1's & API. An AEA is my next preamp. Still trying to decide on the TRP or the newer one. I like the newer AEA pre's simple EQ shaping. I almost always HPF the mic and add a high boost. What a great idea for a ribbon pre!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 ➑️
For the record, I do not own TRP. I'd love to try the newer 1 space/phantom power version. Has anyone else tried it? Does it have the same "goodness" that the TRP has?
Hey DanRock,
Check this thread out. The folks at Mercenary have recently tried out the new AEA RPQ preamp.

Cheers,
Julian
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
How does the TRP compare with the Buzz Elixir? Are they totally different. Is the TRP cleaner, sterile, more transparent?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:

SO......back to THIS thread.....will the AEA TRP give me what I wanted out of the Millennia and that the Apogee almost gave? Will it leave me missing the Transformer based FATNESS I get out of my Wunders? Does the AEA give a bit more top? I'm assuming that the HPF on the AEA helps to aid in the sound design. Is a transparent pre the key, or is good transformer based pre (with good EQ management capabilities) the key?

At $850, the AEA looks like a GREAT deal!!!!

for one thing, TRP has an unusually high input impedance which really tightens up the lows and low mids. It's all there but you hear more detail overall, and the highs have a bit more room in the picture.

so if you feel your mic sounds a tad too dark / clouded or whatever you like to call it on your source, the TRP could really make a difference there.

And it's not a difference you can overcome with EQ.

michiel
joystick audio
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ah, I had the Grace 101, Hardy M1, DAV-1 and TRP at one time. I still have the Hardy with an extended gain option to 66dB. I was looking for a pre to match with the R84, mainly for vocals and acoustic instruments.

The Grace and DAV were certainly up to snuff, can't complain about either one. I found that the TRP was the most "straight wire + gain" pre that I have owned. If you have beautiful-sounding instruments, a voice that doesn't need any help and a well-treated room, the TRP is the way to go. The detail that it captures is unbelievable, it will give you back the reality that you put into it with no jiving around.

For my own needs, the Hardy does the trick: deep sounding, lots of headroom, with a sort of transparent euphonic syrup that suits me (I sure wouldn't mind trying out a Forssell or 2 though!). A lot of folks seem to have ribbons that need serious gain... the TRP cranks out 80dB with no problems all the way at the top.

All the best,
Rick

Quote:
Is this pre more in the transparent side? Where is it amongst other transparent pres like the Buzz, Grace, John Hardy, etc?
Old 27th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So you're using the R121 on classical guitar as well? Is it for solo performance or within a denser arrangement? I LOVE darker mics on classical and the ribbon sound I get from my 4038 is killer. I'd love to try a an R121 to compare them!

Any sound samples of classical guitar with the R121?
yes...will see what samples I can send along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyBee ➑️
If you have beautiful-sounding instruments, a voice that doesn't need any help and a well-treated room, the TRP is the way to go. The detail that it captures is unbelievable, it will give you back the reality that you put into it with no jiving around.
agreed here.
πŸ“ Reply