Quantcast
zener limiter on the mix buss? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
zener limiter on the mix buss?
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
zener limiter on the mix buss?

I am mixing in the box in PT HD...going out through a Trident console....and through a Zener Limiter on the 2 buss.

Does anyone have recommended settings for the Zener on the Mix Buss?

I am mixing an average rock song...big drums and guitars....

thanks GS.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's always context/application/asthetic-dependent, but I think that Joel and Tony do this occasionally. Although I think that they generally consign the ADL670 to mix-buss duties. Write them and ask.

They're friendly.

- c
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I dig the Zener a whole lot more on the drum bus or drum parallel more than on the 2 bus. Maybe try that first, you might have more fun with it there.

Other than that, an attack setting somewhere around 6-8 on the Zener and a shorter release setting, set to almost no gain reduction showing on the meters might be a good starting point.

Oh yeah- Limit mode!
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
awesome! i will try that.

the Zener and DBX 162SL are the only hardware compressors i have. So i figured it would be great to mix through.....get a little of that analog goodness on the mix buss....
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Found this in a review. Hope it helps:
Comp 2 with a 300Hz sidechain setting sounded the most transparent on lead vocal tracks, although depth was still significantly flattened and pumping was clearly audible with only moderate compression. Also, the TG12413 would not be my first choice for compressing a stereo mix. Comp 2 mode, with a 300Hz sidechain setting and a very slow attack and fast release, provided nice glue for a rockin' country mix, but anything more than light gain reduction sucked the life out of the program. In this case, THD mode degraded rather than enhanced the mix and was cutting rather than smooth-sounding.

Seems it may be best on drum bus duties. Full review here:
Chandler TG12413 Zener Limiter Review in Mix magazine product review of the Chandler TG12413 Zener Limiter
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin ➑️
Found this in a review. Hope it helps:
Comp 2 with a 300Hz sidechain setting sounded the most transparent on lead vocal tracks, although depth was still significantly flattened and pumping was clearly audible with only moderate compression. Also, the TG12413 would not be my first choice for compressing a stereo mix. Comp 2 mode, with a 300Hz sidechain setting and a very slow attack and fast release, provided nice glue for a rockin' country mix, but anything more than light gain reduction sucked the life out of the program. In this case, THD mode degraded rather than enhanced the mix and was cutting rather than smooth-sounding.

Seems it may be best on drum bus duties. Full review here:
Chandler TG12413 Zener Limiter Review in Mix magazine product review of the Chandler TG12413 Zener Limiter
I've never been able to get comp 1 or comp 2 work on the mix bus or the drum bus. Too slow. The Zener definitely compresses more than the meters show, so I'm not surprised that the reviewer didn't like it when he tried more than light gain reduction. Heavy compression on the mix bus is something I'm not a fan of anyway.

Forgot to mention the sidechain, use it!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
For 2 Buss try

Dual Mono

Limit

S/Chain on 90

Attack 5

Release (2)

The Needles should NOT move - use yr ear to set the input gain - you'll hear it kick in before you see anything on the meters - Can be quite nice for the right thing.

But Generally For 2 Buss work I use it in THD mode in parallel with a Smart C2 - I use an 8816 and it allows you to dial in an additional comp alongside yr main insert - sounds great and I can blend it depending on the material.

Of course it's genius on the drum buss and I really dig it for Vox too - I also tend to end up on the limit setting 9 times out of 10

DR
Old 24th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
bump
Old 24th June 2009 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
It might be the way I mix, but even when kissing the meters I don't care for how it reacts to program. Great color box though, used in conjunction with something cleaner it would be sweet.

I gotta join the chorus, this thing was born to squeeze the drum buss.

Gregory Scott - ubk
πŸ“ Reply