Quantcast
What would an original working Trident A series console go for? Where are they left? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What would an original working Trident A series console go for? Where are they left?
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
What would an original working Trident A series console go for? Where are they left?

It seems there are still a handful of working Trident A series consoles out there.

I'm wondering with big consoles being out of fashion and the industry struggles right now, what is the market value of this "legendary" analog based system.

I've heard there may be a Series A in Minneapolis, as well as in Chicago, Northern California, and Japan.

I'm not sure what happened to the modified ones at Cherookee studios.

I've read the previous thread on this and nearly all the websites of studios listed with Series A are now unreachable.

Not sure where else there are still existing working units. If any.

Any ideas on units still around? There were only 13 or maybe 14 ever made.

And what would a studio pay for one today? Or would anyone buy one today?

thanks!

Kevin
Old 10th February 2009
member no 666

🎧 15 years
It's called an "A-Range" and they vary in price with size and condition. A good working, automated "A-Range" w/40 inputs should go for about $250k [at least one I know of did fairly recently... YMMV].

Peace.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's one in Southern California here:
flash detector
I got to see/hear it in person a few years back, very nice.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
We have a 40 input Trident A Range at EastWest Studios (formally Cello) in Los Angeles.

- DR
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You might be interested in this:

Toft 'A' Range Mic Pre EQ
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rogers ➑️
We have a 40 input Trident A Range at EastWest Studios (formally Cello) in Los Angeles.

- DR
A beautiful console in an AMAZINGLY remodeled studio. Congrats on the opening, Doug! The party during NAMM was spectacularly cool.
Deleted User
https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...ent-range.html

There's one for sale in Europe.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
John McEntire has one at SOMA in Chicago. I don't know about that studio's web site being unreachable. I found it here:

Soma Electronic Music Studios

They've had it up and running for a few years now. So yes, people will still buy one. I have no idea what it cost to purchase or rebuild...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I got an A-range pre put into a custom box for $450. GREAT DEAL THOUGH!!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
last i checked there was a 40-input A-Range at Smart Studio in Madison, WI. It is actually the one from Cherokee.

🎧 15 years
Much love for the A-Range. A full, working console, if you ever manage to find one, is going to be over $200k, even one that isn't perfect. It's a monster of a tracking desk.
the problem I saw with A-ranges, is that they were all modified to hell.

there was one in denmark wich was never sold and ripped apart. heavily modified, rocked console.. 70k$ too much..

we had a local sale, also heavily modified A-range (not 40 inputs..smaller)... 8k$.

🎧 15 years
It depends... The problem with the A range is the supply. There just isn't that many of them floating around so the seller's can basically set a price and sit on it until someone is willing to pony up the dough.

I've seen them sell for well under $200k in the past (but that was in 2003-2004).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck ➑️
You might be interested in this:

Toft 'A' Range Mic Pre EQ
That thing was meant to come out like 4 years ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbaganouche ➑️
last i checked there was a 40-input A-Range at Smart Studio in Madison, WI. It is actually the one from Cherokee.
A-range is absolutely still there !!

along with killer outboard, a great room, and wonderful people !!

it is an amazing sounding desk...in an amazing sounding room.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul EQ ➑️
Man, I hate seeing these great desks getting "parted out."

As someone who's had the chance to work on three of the thirteen, I just hate seeing them get chopped up.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No A Range in Minneapolis that I know of.
Peace Todd
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Unless you need the real deal to fix and repair constantly,You could have a look at the Daking console's for that A range flavor I suppose.It would work in a pinch.It would save you a 100k in the process and would be better built as well.The maidsroom in N.Y has one.The Rufus album they tracked on it sounds pretty nice.Very open sounding to my ears.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
A-Range #13 of 13

Hi This is Mike Zirkel at Smart Studios in Wisconsin. I figured I better reply to an A-Range post! Thanks JCH for the kind words! Ours is still up, and sounding/functioning wonderfully . Purchased from Quad Nashville in 1999, I believe? and was the last A-Range made for Cherokee back in 1975(?) I believe, where I'm told it lived until around 1983(?)
Two years ago Shea Ako and John McEntire from Soma in Chicago (A-Range #1), designed new brackets that would properly hold replacement switches for the pre/eq modules. I made MANY calls and emails trying to track down every console, to invite as many owners as possible in on the order. It was great to track everyone down, and I'll bet the fleet of A-Ranges are in better working condition these days then they have been in quite a while!
Not sure that the Daking modules are the same thing as the A-Range, in my opinion. Similar preamp, but the EQ is quite different.
Not sure about the "market value"? That's a pretty loaded question these days! We have no plans to sell ours. Ours is the only one in "BMW Blue" according to Bruce Rob from Cherokee. It's 40X24 with 24 additional monitor returns, and 40 channels of Flying Faders (which is awesome). There are 32 original channels and 8 channels made by Cherokee, which are not so much "MODIFIED" channels, but pretty faithful recreations.
I'm always happy to talk Trident with anyone, so feel free to send and email, make a phone call, or better yet; come try it out! It's a beautiful piece of recording history, we here feel very privileged to be able to use it!
mike

Last edited by Smart Studios; 12th February 2009 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: add picture
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Studios ➑️
Hi This is Mike Zirkel at Smart Studios in Wisconsin. I figured I better reply to an A-Range post! Thanks JCH for the kind words! Ours is still up, and sounding/functioning wonderfully . Purchased from Quad Nashville in 1999, I believe? and was the last A-Range made for Cherokee back in 1975(?) I believe, where I'm told it lived until around 1983(?)
Mike,

It's great to know where that console ended up. I had heard Butch Vig's name in connection with its sale.

I spent A LOT of hours behind that console in the 80s and 90s when it was parked at Quad. Lots of long nights watching the sun come up. Lots of "OK, let's print one more (the 18th) version with XYZ changes" onto blonde-faced DAT machines. I got to know it really well, including its foibles.

It's one of my favorite consoles. That and the Helios at 17 Grand were tied for my all time favorites.

Oddly enough, I'm tracking in that room at Quad again next week. It's just not the same though on that SSL 9K. I miss that Trident sweetheart. And think of it fondly.

I don't have a single picture of it or me at it after all those years. Too bad. I'm sure one of the artists have one somewhere.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Avast in Seattle has an A-Range that came out of Olympic

Avast! Studio A | Seattle, WA

Regards

Jon
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fum ➑️
Avast in Seattle has an A-Range that came out of Olympic

Avast! Studio A | Seattle, WA
Man. I like their taste in consoles.
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
14 made - so they say...

Sweet Silence
East/West
Avast!
Smart Studios
Paul Stacey
Cantos ? (Canada ex-Bomb Factory)
Soma Studio
New Monkey
Butch Vig
Plus the Cherokee built ones, and one or more parted out. There are threads around on this already!

ps - There was one in LA at Entourage that Roy Baker said was The One from Trident's control room; I have no pics of it so cannot say if that was true... it's gone now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Didn't I hear a story once about the Vatican having an A range?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Back in the late 80's Image Recording acquired an A Range. It was shipped from the U.K. and arrived in Hollywood as essentially, a truckload of parts. Over a several month period I recapped all the input modules, repaired countless intermittent switch assemblies, and cleaned up the master section, which, as received, was your basic train wreck.

The console was used on many projects, but Image eventually sold it to a studio in Arizona (late 90's?). I spoke to the owner once or twice by phone.

Does anyone know where this console is now? I would love to know, would love to see a photo or two.

I don't think Entourage ever had an A Range. That place opened as Jennifudy with two Harrisons, which stayed in service for very many years. Image's console might have come out of Trident, and maybe RTB meant or said Image. Both names end with "age", it could happen!
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The Butch Vig console and the Smart Studios console are one and the same.

🎧 15 years
My buddy Steve Ried (The Rippingtons) has one at his studio in LA, it was from Studio A at A&M I believe. I made a record on it, nice board.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston ➑️
Man, I hate seeing these great desks getting "parted out."

As someone who's had the chance to work on three of the thirteen, I just hate seeing them get chopped up.
In deed.

I find it hard to understand how someone can do that to such a - don't even know what to call it - masterpiece, treasure, piece of history...
Besides, that console is one of those classic cases in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I used a Trident desk when I interned at a studio in Detroit.. I didn't like it all that much. Was great for tracking, and routing (came with 4 master BUS's), but I didn't think the pre's were anything special. I can't remember the model but it was originally a broadcasting console I believe.

I felt like the EQ was quite harsh sounding, in fact most of the engineers preferred waves plugins to mix.

We did a shootout with the Trident pres and my FMR RNP, and I remember liking the RNP better for most of the sounds. We used an oldschool rebuilt AKG C12 to test it, and I must say the vocals weren't that great.. I guess thats why they had a Chandler TG as their go to Pre (Aretha used that setup there).
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatt ➑️
I used a Trident desk when I interned at a studio in Detroit.. I didn't like it all that much. Was great for tracking, and routing (came with 4 master BUS's), but I didn't think the pre's were anything special. I can't remember the model but it was originally a broadcasting console I believe.

I felt like the EQ was quite harsh sounding, in fact most of the engineers preferred waves plugins to mix.

We did a shootout with the Trident pres and my FMR RNP, and I remember liking the RNP better for most of the sounds. We used an oldschool rebuilt AKG C12 to test it, and I must say the vocals weren't that great.. I guess thats why they had a Chandler TG as their go to Pre (Aretha used that setup there).
I'd guess, for many reasons, that you were NOT working on a Trident A range...
πŸ“ Reply