Quantcast
What would an original working Trident A series console go for? Where are they left? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What would an original working Trident A series console go for? Where are they left?
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw-Tracks ➡️
Here's a couple pictures from the console that is now at Smart.
I wonder if slot 17 still has problems. 80% of the time, if something was going to wrong with that console, it would be in module slot 17. I have no idea why, but as I worked on for over 10 years, it seems like that was a pattern that emerged. Maybe slot 17 was haunted?
Old 20th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
from Bill Cooper

We have had a Trident A Range console in our studio at American Recording in Calabasas CA since 1985. We originally bought it from Randy Bachman when it was in his private studio in Bellingham WA. We found the best tech around, Steve Firlotte, and he has taken care of it ever since 1986. It is 40 channel mic/line and 24 channel monitor. You can see pictures at our website americanrecording.com. The studio was operated as Emblem Studio from 2006 until Nov 2012 but is again up for lease with the A Range. When we were building American Recording in 1984 we asked our friend Bill Schnee what was the best console to get... he said without hesitation "a Trident A Range! But of course you'll never find one". It turned out within a week Randy was making some family and career changes and the A Range was available. It was first in Warner Bros scoring stage and we were told "A Star Is Born" with Barbara Steisand was done on it. Randy ran into it there and bought it from them. For our money it is still the best sounding production console ever made.
Old 21st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RB told me about that console in his old studio. He loved it. Just as a curiosity, he was running that studio on 120v and 220v. All his British gear ran on 220v and American gear at 120v. He mentioned that he thought his Marshall amps (etc) sounded better on 220.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cooper ➡️
You can see pictures at our website americanrecording.com.
Loved the photos. Thanks so much
Old 21st October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Roy Baker has been elusive. I hear he doesn't like to give interviews, but as the main user of A-Range console that most people know, it would be great to have his input. As you'll find out, his use directly influenced several studios to buy A-Ranges back in the day. Whether he joins in or not, he will be included in the A-Range Story. (Anyone know RTB? If you'd care to pass on a message, let me know. Thanks)
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cooper ➡️
We have had a Trident A Range console in our studio at American Recording in Calabasas CA since 1985... The studio was operated as Emblem Studio from 2006 until Nov 2012 but is again up for lease with the A Range.
Thanks for your input, too, Bill. I've been to your studio and love it. Hopefully they story coming out will push the interest in these great consoles, and may help you lease the place. It would be a prized situation for anyone.
📝 Reply