Quantcast
What would an original working Trident A series console go for? Where are they left? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What would an original working Trident A series console go for? Where are they left?
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➡️
My buddy Steve Ried (The Rippingtons) has one at his studio in LA, it was from Studio A at A&M I believe. I made a record on it, nice board.
Actually, Steve has a TSM. It was the console from A&M studio A, then it went to Metropolis (which became Scream), and then to Steve.

Quote:
Didn't I hear a story once about the Vatican having an A range?
The Vatican has more than one. Three I think. They are small ones, maybe 12 channels each. They used them for PA's! They are not part of the 13 count of originals, although they are original. As far as I know, they are still there, although I don't know if they are still in use.

Best,

Jeff
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➡️
My buddy Steve Ried (The Rippingtons) has one at his studio in LA, it was from Studio A at A&M I believe. I made a record on it, nice board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goodman ➡️
Actually, Steve has a TSM. It was the console from A&M studio A, then it went to Metropolis (which became Scream), and then to Steve.
Common mistake.

Here's a cheat. All the TSM's I've ever seen or worked on had yellow fader caps in the EQ section. So if you see two long lines of yellow faders, then it's a TSM.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston ➡️
Common mistake.

Here's a cheat. All the TSM's I've ever seen or worked on had yellow fader caps in the EQ section. So if you see two long lines of yellow faders, then it's a TSM.
That's true if it's all original parts. Another way to tell is if the eq has sweepable frequencies...then it's a TSM, if it's 4 freq points per band it's an A Range.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goodman ➡️
That's true if it's all original parts. Another way to tell is if the eq has sweepable frequencies...then it's a TSM, if it's 4 freq points per band it's an A Range.
Yea. There's lots of differences.

I'm just talking about if you really don't have a clue and want to look smart when you walk into the control room and see the console from a distance.

^ Image hijacked from urbanstreet.com.

^ Image hijacked from primal gear.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjan ➡️
In deed...

I find it hard to understand how someone can do that to such a... don't even know what to call it... masterpiece, treasure, piece of history...
Besides, that console is one of those classic cases in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
I couldn't agree more. But I got raked over the coals making the same assertion in the classified section regarding someone who was parting out a large format TG 12345 desk in great shape. Some people have very different priorities.

Kirt Shearer
Quote:
Common mistake.

I worked on a dirty TSM for a few years - if one of those eq sliders hit some dirt - it would emit a deafening high pitched CHIRP! that would shut down your hearing for the next 10 or so minutes.. There was an A range across the hall but it was eventually sold to someone in the USA.

Carry on...!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Mike,

It's great to know where that console ended up. I had heard Butch Vig's name in connection with its sale.

I spent A LOT of hours behind that console in the 80s and 90s when it was parked at Quad. Lots of long nights watching the sun come up. Lots of "OK, let's print one more (the 18th) version with XYZ changes" onto blonde-faced DAT machines. I got to know it really well, including its foibles.

It's one of my favorite consoles. That and the Helios at 17 Grand were tied for my all time favorites.

Oddly enough, I'm tracking in that room at Quad again next week. It's just not the same though on that SSL 9K. I miss that Trident sweetheart. And think of it fondly.

I don't have a single picture of it or me at it after all those years. Too bad. I'm sure one of the artists have one somewhere.
Yeah... I really wish it was more feasible to track through the 8068 in "B" but use the rooms in "A" over there at Quad. There is some decent outboard in "A"... but the 8068 has some serious mojo..... but the rooms in "B".... eh.

I ran into a guy (working at kinkos of all places) that says he works over there part time and that they are doing a complete remodel of the main room in "B". Hope is sounds better... might take some business back over there if it does.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatt ➡️
I used a Trident desk when I interned at a studio in Detroit.. I didn't like it all that much. Was great for tracking, and routing (came with 4 master BUS's), but I didn't think the pre's were anything special. I can't remember the model but it was originally a broadcasting console I believe.

I felt like the EQ was quite harsh sounding, in fact most of the engineers preferred waves plugins to mix.

We did a shootout with the Trident pres and my FMR RNP, and I remember liking the RNP better for most of the sounds. We used an oldschool rebuilt AKG C12 to test it, and I must say the vocals weren't that great.. I guess thats why they had a Chandler TG as their go to Pre (Aretha used that setup there).
bit of difference between "a Trident" and Trident A range.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yea. There's lots of differences.

I'm just talking about if you really don't have a clue and want to look smart when you walk into the control room and see the console from a distance.

^ Image hijacked from urbanstreet.com.

^ Image hijacked from primal gear.
I always thought the yellow caps were U-G-L-Y!!! I've also seen them in grey and a black/red combination... granted, I have no clue if that was stock, you can pop them off and mix n' match!!!
I did some rework on a TSM owned by Colorado Sound in Boulder. That was back in the early 90's or late 80's.

I also did maintanence/mods/repairs of the 40 input A range that lived at Angel Balisters' group 4 recording in Hollywood. I tested it with the Audio Precision and it had a 200k hz bandwidth. THD was around .05%. It was fitted with Jensen JT-115KE mic input transformers. The slide EQ pots are a PITA. Cheap japanese carbon faders, they were a constant irritation. Every EQ curve looked different depending on pot condition.

It was sold to Richard Barron over at Sonora but he didn't keep it long as it was replaced by an API (bad move IMO).

Maybe he can tell where it now lives...

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
A-Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt ➡️
bit of difference between "a Trident" and Trident A range.
Before we upgraded to the A-Range at Smart, that room had a Trident 80C. A respectable console that was built to last, but there was a very clear difference in sound between the 80 series and the A-Range.

They didn't have much in common other than the Trident name.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Studios ➡️
Before we upgraded to the A-Range at Smart, that room had a Trident 80C. A respectable console that was built to last, but there was a very clear difference in sound between the 80 series and the A-Range.

You know, I'll be happy to take that 80C off of your hands heh
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Studios ➡️

i had an 80b for years. still work on it when i can (its owned by my friends and former partners back in st.louis.) the 80 series, to my ears is rock and roll. the low end can be a bit round...and thick...which i like...and the top/mids are nice and edgy in a cool way...especially on drums, rock guitars...etc.

the a-range is a totally different beast. headroom for days...years, actually. amazing eq...just a killer, killer desk. the a-range is the sweetest, most "open" sounding console i have mixed on. just amazing. eqs are simply insane. pushing those faders (yes...FADERS) to the max on the top and bottom end is unreal. never gets too boomy or too bright....just BETTER.

best,

jchristopherhughes

ps. hi mike and beau !!!

hope to see you guys soon....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatt ➡️
I used a Trident desk when I interned at a studio in Detroit.. I didn't like it all that much. Was great for tracking, and routing (came with 4 master BUS's), but I didn't think the pre's were anything special. I can't remember the model but it was originally a broadcasting console I believe.

I felt like the EQ was quite harsh sounding, in fact most of the engineers preferred waves plugins to mix.

We did a shootout with the Trident pres and my FMR RNP, and I remember liking the RNP better for most of the sounds. We used an oldschool rebuilt AKG C12 to test it, and I must say the vocals weren't that great.. I guess thats why they had a Chandler TG as their go to Pre (Aretha used that setup there).
quite certain you were not on an a-range...or even an 80 series.
my guess would be a trident 65 or similar. (which i actually think sound kind of cool...but not even in the ballpark of the a-range.)

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 ➡️
quite certain you were not on an a-range...or even an 80 series.
my guess would be a trident 65 or similar. (which i actually think sound kind of cool...but not even in the ballpark of the a-range.)

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Yeah I checked it out and I think it was the Vector series, totally a broadcast console! The thing wasn't made to cut tracks.. but its cool to know that Trident put out some sweet stuff in the 70s.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Cherokee Studios' Trident A Range History

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmathieu ➡️
It seems there are still a handful of working Trident A series consoles out there.

I'm not sure what happened to the modified ones at Cherookee studios.

There were only 13 or maybe 14 ever made.

And what would a studio pay for one today? Or would anyone buy one today?
Hi Kevin,
Here are some facts about Trident A Ranges and Cherokee's ownership:

Trident Studios originally made the Trident A Range console for their own studio, but word got out and other studios wanted them. So they formed Trident Audio Developments and began manufacturing boards. For the time, they were revolutionary. However, I believe they were also very costly to produce. They only ever manufactured 13 of these original A Range boards.

Cherokee Studios was the first studio in the US to purchase one. They ultimately owned 4 of the 13 boards. Three were purchased new directly from Trident Audio Developments and 1 was purchased through a broker who said it was from South Africa.

The first console that Cherokee purchased went in to Studio 1 before moving to Studio 3 where it stayed until the studio closed in August, 2007. (It is now in storage.) Despite many false rumors, that board was never modified.

The second and third consoles from the UK were ultimately sold. One went to a wealthy young man who was going to install it in a studio in either Portland or Seattle, but it first went to storage. It is uncertain where that board ultimately landed. The second was bought by Norbert Putnam who highly modified the board. That board is believed to have been subsequently sold to Longview Farms. From Longview, it is uncertain where it landed.

The last console Cherokee purchased (from the broker) was a 36 input unmolested A Range. Before it went to work in Studio 1, 2 years were spent working on this board to expand it to a 48 input console. The aux module was re-designed to create 10 discrete aux sends, the bus assignment modules were laid down flat and the mic pre/EQ was left alone. (This board is one of the 2 boards still belonging to Cherokee and currently in storage.)

As for market value -- well, it is usually driven by desirability and availability -- of the 13 original boards, it is unknown how many still exist...
Old 16th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Trident Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogrules ➡️
Hi Kevin,

Trident Studios originally made the Trident A Range console for their own studio, but word got out and other studios wanted them. So they formed Trident Audio Developments and began manufacturing boards. For the time, they were revolutionary. However, I believe they were also very costly to produce. They only ever manufactured 13 of these original A Range boards.

Cherokee Studios was the first studio in the US to purchase one. They ultimately owned 4 of the 13 boards. Three were purchased new directly from Trident Audio Developments and 1 was purchased through a broker who said it was from South Africa.

The first console that Cherokee purchased went in to Studio 1 before moving to Studio 3 where it stayed until the studio closed in August, 2007. (It is now in storage.) Despite many false rumors, that board was never modified.

The second and third consoles from the UK were ultimately sold. One went to a wealthy young man who was going to install it in a studio in either Portland or Seattle, but it first went to storage. It is uncertain where that board ultimately landed. The second was bought by Norbert Putnam who highly modified the board. That board is believed to have been subsequently sold to Longview Farms. From Longview, it is uncertain where it landed.

The last console Cherokee purchased (from the broker) was a 36 input unmolested A Range. Before it went to work in Studio 1, 2 years were spent working on this board to expand it to a 48 input console. The aux module was re-designed to create 10 discrete aux sends, the bus assignment modules were laid down flat and the mic pre/EQ was left alone. (This board is one of the 2 boards still belonging to Cherokee and currently in storage.)
As for market value -- well, it is usually driven by desirability and availability -- of the 13 original boards, it is unknown how many still exist today and what condition they are in...

Fair market value for the Mic Pre/EQ seems to be in the neighborhood of $4-5,000 per module based on recent input from various top studios and engineers queried. (A past posting in 2006 was estimating that it could be as much as $10-15k just based on the limited quantity, but I don't think there are any real buyers at that price.)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi Kevin,

As for market value -- well, it is usually driven by desirability and availability -- of the 13 original boards, it is unknown how many still exist...

Then what console is being parted out in this sale?
Original Mic Pre/EQ Modules from the Trident A Range Console (c. 1975) from Cherokee Studios

Kirt Shearer
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And another question: If most of the Cherokee A-Ranges were unmodified, why is it that they look very different from any other A-Range? They appear to have very different switches, pots, faceplates,meter bridges, and overall different general construction?

Thanks,

Kirt Shearer
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid ➡️
Can anyone name some records mixed on a Trident A ?
Cherokee Studios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This should point you in the right direction
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Richard Podolor used to have one at American Recording up on Mulholland Highway.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid ➡️
Can anyone name some records mixed on a Trident A ?
David Bowie “Station to Station” (RCA, 1976)
Rod Stewart “Atlantic Crossing” (Warner Bros., 1975), “A Night on the Town” (Warner Bros., 1976), “Foot Loose & Fancy Free” (Warner Bros., 1977), “Blondes Have More Fun”(Warner Bros., 1978), “Foolish Behaviour” (Warner Bros., 1980), “Tonight I’m Your’s” (Warner Bros., 1981), “Vagabond Heart” (1991) ... and more ...
KISS, Cars
... to name a few
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Which Trident is being parted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer ➡️
The Trident from Studio 3 - the first Trident that Cherokee bought from Trident Audio Developments. It started in Studio 1 and moved to 3 where it was up until the studio closing. (read the ad - full description there)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Cherokee's A Ranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshearer ➡️
And another question: If most of the Cherokee A-Ranges were unmodified, why is it that they look very different from any other A-Range? They appear to have very different switches, pots, faceplates,meter bridges, and overall different general construction?

Thanks,

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
If you are referring to the Studio 1 board, that board would look different. A lot of changes were made cosmetically and it was expanded to 48.

The board in Studio 3 is unmodified, but it is no longer purple. Cherokee painted it grey.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
There was an A Range in Omnisound in Nashville from the 80's through the mid '90's. 40 in with maybe 32 monitor? I do remember it was unusual in that it had XLR mic inputs across the back of the desk. Studio manager at the time told me it was a custom ordered option.

Eventually was replaced by an API Legacy and I think the A Range was parted out, as seem to recall some racked channels still around there circa 1997 or 98.
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Will the real Cherokee Trident please stand up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbaganouche ➡️
last i checked there was a 40-input A-Range at Smart Studio in Madison, WI. It is actually the one from Cherokee.
A bit on the mysterious Cherokee studio 2 console. There appear to be (2) 40-input Tridents that are both presumed to have come from Cherokee, one is at Smart and one is now at EastWest.

Bruce Robb of Cherokee Studios sold the unique 40-input Trident from his studio 2 to Norbert Putnam. It appears it went from there to Smart. Smart's board is blue (correct color) and has paperwork to back it up.

So, what does that say about the EastWest board? Well, their Trident is gorgeous. Gary Meyersburg painstakingly restored it for over a year. It is stationed now in one of the most famous rooms in recording history - the same studio that recorded The Beach Boys and every famous group from the 60's & 70's. A perfect home befitting a Trident -- anyone would be a lucky SOB to work in that room. And, whether it originally came from Cherokee or not -- there is a definitive connection now. EastWest has 4 original modules from Cherokee's very first console from Trident that were part of what was last known as their studio 3 board. They are part of what was Dee Robb's favorite console - totally pure and untouched. (In spite of what people have said on forums. Cherokee never modified that board.)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Bruce Robb of Cherokee Studios sold the unique 40-input Trident from his studio 2 to Norbert Putnam. It is unclear the exact path that board followed from that sale. Does anyone know?
That 40ch A-Range is now a Smart in Madison. It was previously at Quad in Nashville. I believe Norbert Putnam also had a hand in the Bennett House in Franklin,TN, where there was another A-Range. That one, by my recollection, was smaller. I was was working at Quad in the late 90's and I remember one day Norbert came in to revisit the old A-Range. The A-Range that was at Quad, and now is at Smart, was definitely from Cherokee. It had the "mercedes blue" finish and is a 40 input with 24 on the monitor side.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Where is the Arizona Trident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kulka ➡️
The console was used on many projects, but Image eventually sold it to a studio in Arizona (late 90's?). I spoke to the owner once or twice by phone.

Does anyone know where this console is now? I would love to know, would love to see a photo or two.
If it went to AZ, could be the console at Ghost Note now?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a couple pictures from the console that is now at Smart.
Attached Thumbnails
What would an original working Trident A series console go for? Where are they left?-107_0722.jpg   What would an original working Trident A series console go for? Where are they left?-107_0723.jpg  
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw-Tracks ➡️
That 40ch A-Range is now a Smart in Madison. It was previously at Quad in Nashville. I believe Norbert Putnam also had a hand in the Bennett House in Franklin,TN, where there was another A-Range. That one, by my recollection, was smaller. I was was working at Quad in the late 90's and I remember one day Norbert came in to revisit the old A-Range. The A-Range that was at Quad, and now is at Smart, was definitely from Cherokee. It had the "mercedes blue" finish and is a 40 input with 24 on the monitor side.
Thanks Eric - you are absolutely right. I edited my previous message when we got further confirmation. Smart has Cherokee's board.
📝 Reply