price?

gregory scott - ubk
Just sent a pm.

Mint VS2400...
Old 11th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The DM80 v2 sounds great. No multiplex sound
I used to use 3 of them with TC and AES synchro.
No shift, quick synchro.

But the editing was mostly with the ears (old school style)

Then swithed them for a MFX3+ system...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just spit my coffee on my screen....dam itttt!

Thats not tobacco in that pipe sonnnnnn!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo ➑️
Now GYang comment on the Akai workstations I will buy. I used an Akai DR16 locked to my Studer for years. Might have been the best pure sonic rig I've had. Akai always had a great sound....even a t 16 bit.
great thread. i bought 2 X AKAI A.dams (16bit) in the late 80s for alot more than i'm willing to admit.

before buying them we went into Westlake and tracked some drums, guitar and bass, splitting signals to an AKAI and an analog machine that were in the room. wasn't the A800... i think it was an ATR but i can't remember precisely.

we used the pres on a Neve V and monitored on the same console.

a Weird Al session was in one room, Willy Nelson in another, and ourselves. we brought in every engineer in the building and the sesssion musicians to see who could tell the diff between the AKAI and tape, blind. not one person got over 50% right.

still have the A.dams in the garage. sad, but i couldn't sell 'em for what you can get for a used ADAT now, and i just don't have the heart to throw them away. did some nice recordings on those.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
2 words

Super Audio.....end of story
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I bought a cheap vs2400 (same insides as 2480) last week just for fun, but I've honestly been enjoying recording on it more than my DAW. It's very satisfying to operate in that old analog kinda way - which I did for many years. Naturally, I bypass everything and use all outboard gear, but the conversion is super nice and my 96 kHz tracks sound gorgeous - 44 as well. The built-in gear is good for beginners, but not high-enders, so i'm specifically NOT referring to that. The one and only shortcoming I can find is the lack of individual channel outputs. I wouldn't be surprised if these things became popular once people start getting sick of DAW's and their tedious ways.
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
i gotta ask: what the hell is an akai a.dam?

gregory scott - ubk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror ➑️
I bought a cheap vs2400 (same insides as 2480) last week just for fun, but I've honestly been enjoying recording on it more than my DAW. It's very satisfying to operate in that old analog kinda way - which I did for many years. Naturally, I bypass everything and use all outboard gear, but the conversion is super nice and my 96 kHz tracks sound gorgeous - 44 as well. The built-in gear is good for beginners, but not high-enders, so i'm specifically NOT referring to that. The one and only shortcoming I can find is the lack of individual channel outputs. I wouldn't be surprised if these things became popular once people start getting sick of DAW's and their tedious ways.

Please note I have a VS 2400 for sale in Classifieds. Price negotiable!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
i gotta ask: what the hell is an akai a.dam?

gregory scott - ubk
they were 16 bit 12 track recorders made by AKAI. you could link up to 3 of them, i had two for a total of 24 tracks.

the tape that was used was special hi-8 cassettes, the type that was being used in video cameras then. good sounding machines but they never really took off. i think stevie wonder used them and madonna at some point.

they had about a 90dB dynamic range so you had to record pretty hot- not like the 24 bit stuff, more like analog tape. you could set the crossfade times for your punches, which was a nice little feature. cool little machines.
Old 13th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I remember them...they were really the first modular digital multitrack recorders. They came out before the ADAT but didn't take off like the ADAT did...my guess is that the price had something to do with it. They were like, what, thirty grand apiece?

Still a bargain compared to a DASH machine...
Old 13th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo ➑️
They were like, what, thirty grand apiece?
they first cost about $70K and then they went down to about $30K.
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
SK1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How does one go about transfering files from a vs2480 into logic or pro tools?

Can you make all the wave files the same size so they just line up in Logic?

Or do I have to do a digital dump via lightpipe?

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 ➑️
How does one go about transfering files from a vs2480 into logic or pro tools?

Can you make all the wave files the same size so they just line up in Logic?

Or do I have to do a digital dump via lightpipe?

You go into 'track export' and it saves them to a CD as wav files. They just line up when you import them into 'tools.
SK1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Read my thread ( Building a better digital system ).
I love the sound of 70s and 80s good pop recordings. The recording quality of tape sounds more alive.
It's a real shame that todays computer digital age isn't as good. I'm not going into detail, but if your a good Engineer! Then I don't have to explain.
So yes I to use a 2480 as a tape recorder. It's connected via 2 AE7000s from a Apogee AD/DA16x using AES. I don't use pluginns and I mix to a console.
I track with really nice outboard Pre's / Compressors ect. I get it right on the way in. It's simple. But I have 20+ experiance and I'm also a full time musician - Singer/Guitarist.
So yes , the 2480 has that sound I have admired- warm open fat and punchy.
My computer with identical set up just isn't a hit in audio department.
Old 10th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I love the sound of 70s and 80s good pop recordings. The recording quality of tape sounds more alive.
It's a real shame that todays computer digital age isn't as good. I'm not going into detail, but if your a good Engineer! Then I don't have to explain.
I love the sound of those recordings as well, and have done a lot of recording with tape and enjoy it, but...I'd say if you're a good engineer, you will be able to get a good sound out of whatever you have to work with.
Old 11th April 2009
Old 11th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Another fan of some of Roland's digital samplers and recorders here. I haven't tried them all obviously, but the ones I have, have sounded the dogs even when they were recording only a now supposedly miserly 16-bit file.
Old 10th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo ➑️
I remember them...they were really the first modular digital multitrack recorders. They came out before the ADAT but didn't take off like the ADAT did...my guess is that the price had something to do with it. They were like, what, thirty grand apiece?

Still a bargain compared to a DASH machine...

ADAT's and DA88's use a helical scan head. I was under the impression that the ADAM's used a stationary head (a la DASH or Mitsubishi). Is this true? If so, the ADAM's must have been a lot better than the other modulars.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannytown ➑️
ADAT's and DA88's use a helical scan head. I was under the impression that the ADAM's used a stationary head (a la DASH or Mitsubishi). Is this true? If so, the ADAM's must have been a lot better than the other modulars.
we cleaned the heads a million times so i should know the answer to that one but i can't remember! whatever the case those machines sounded very good...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurly200 ➑️
It's the engineer & musicians and not the gear that make recordings sound good.
Why can't anybody seem to understand this, LOL. If you are a musician, let the pros mix and master your recordings, one man can't do it all, it's impossible. Just because you have a couple plugins limiters doesn't mean your going to get the sound of a 10,000 dollar mastering compressor or mastering equalizer.
Old 2nd February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Its very hard to tell the difference with DAWs such as Pro tools - Nuendo - VS 2480 ect..

Its only if you own the above and use it daily for over 10 years you become accustom to the sound of 2480 vs Computer software..

Im not bragging here the the 2480 hands down just always just sounds nicer.. it hits transients softer and makes tracks sound smoother and glue musically together better. Plus the bottom end sounds full open and round as does the top end. Also my favourite thing is mixing - And the 2480 makes it so easy and fast because its just way easier to make individual tracks sit and snap into place better and make a mix sound exciting and big.

I own Nuendo 4 and Sampitude 10 with Apogee AD/DA 16x converters / 9652 Hammerfall Card / Qaud Core PC.. With The PC/Computer set up my tracks still sound great. But the 2480 just always sound bigger more open smoother. Simply put the Computer recordings sound clean straight wire sterile and flatter.

Ive recorded many albums on all my recodring gear and still today my 11 year old 2480 just sounds better when i play mixes done on both PC and 2480.

Roland made a mean musical sounding recorder that will live in my studio for ever..

BTW i use Nuendo with my cliants as thats how i make my money.. Computers are just way more convenient for too many reasons as we all know.. Who cares if computers dont as good..
Old 18th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
I personally hate the dsp24 with all the wrath of Satan and God combined, I'm a vS2480 man all the way. Supreme machine. Dont forget the 2480 can record totally uncompressed 24 bit up to 96k just like the dsp24.
Sure, but not on all 24 tracks.
When I had a Korg D16, it sounded better out the box than a Roland VS1680, not to mention the workflow and ease-of-use of Korg's products is still miles ahead of practically any Roland DAW ("oh my, a 'shift' button..." ).
Anyway, I had a Yamaha AW2400 for a while; great sounding machine, but not very easy to use either, and some minor niggles here and there.
Got a DPS24 after that and I'm good for now.
Old 18th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon ➑️
Got a DPS24 after that and I'm good for now.
This piece is one of the most underated gears ever manufactured.
I never had particular reason to praise it (I used PT in my 100% ITB days and later Samplitude and Nuendo), so no lack of really pro ITB solutions.
Still, my sympathies went to DPS24, which as package offered such unbelieveable set of sonic quality, fairly good converters, smooth workflow, good processing and wide variations of I/O (incl. digital I/Os on all channels).
In those days on one DPS24 were 20 or more Rolands (it was alwyas hard to find Akai DPS24, again no explainable reasons) used by people, so Roland became standard for this type of device.
10 years later DPS24 doesn't look as outdated or obsolete machine and to do fast recordings of bands in rehearsal room it offers everything in total pro quality.
Old 19th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One of my favorite sounding digitally recorded albums of all time was recorded on a Roland VS-880.
Old 21st March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I use a 2480 as a hard disk recorder as many others do, bypassing the 2480's preamps and converters and using outboard front end gear, and I can either mix down to Masterlink or 1/4" 2 track or I can export my tracks in several different ways for mixing. Big, fat sound and such an easy rig to work with.

The UAD 1176 and La2a TDM plugins and the Massenburg EQ are excellent additions to the 2480, as is the R Bus.
Old 21st March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Back in the day Roland made a big deal about how they went to great length to make sure that the whole audiopath in the 2480 is top notch and i remember that it really sounded very good at the time.
Never A/Bed it to Apoggees but nevertheless it was a really transparent sound with lots of dynamics.
πŸ“ Reply