Hi definition Digital = Roland - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hi definition Digital = Roland
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi,
I don't doubt what you are hearing.
Now, I don't smoke anything, but I have run across two opposite scenarios this year.
Projects sent done on a Roland machine that just don't sound too good.
I know that there are a lot of variables, but I get a lot of people sending me stuff done on a Roland that they need to sound better.

Just sayin'.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankitup ➑️
LOL!!! All I have to say is wow... I'll have what ever he's having
I love this kind of ****...I totally believe in it too when Im stoned out of my brains!
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Roland just rule for audio. Those who never experianced it will never know. Cheers
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
roland has been doing great work in the recording industry for a long, long time. i know that in the DAW-based world, they've become unfashionable, but that doesn't discredit the fact that they offered a 96kHz self-contained 24-track before anyone else. as i mentioned earlier, i use pro tools and analog tape more often, but i always enjoy the opportunity to use my 2480. excellent converters in there; top quality sound if you're just using it for the actual recording and none of the onboard crap.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Why do computers such with audio? I know is not converters or soundcard. Is it the computer? Or the software? Anyone know the answer?
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I ment suck. Sorry I'm using iPhone and it a little difficult when trying to type
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigo ➑️
I ment suck. Sorry I'm using iPhone and it a little difficult when trying to type
You "ment" meant
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Yes meant. I should read my posts before posting
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And this time we were not stoned.
Or were you?!?!?!?!?!
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Not stoned! And I don't blow joints. It's only when I'm in a session and the boys might roll one. But it's rare. Many musicians like to dabble. Does that supprise you. What's the diff anyway. Were all gear junkies and nice pieces of gear is addictive.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Go over to Roland VS and Home Recording Support, Tips and Community: VS-Planet Homepage and listen to a band by the name: Sneaker.. There you will hear what I'm talking about.
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have the Billy Bridge-doing ok/Cd that was recorded by this Rigo person and it sounds amazing. This guy is a full on pro. He's work is up there with the best recordings I've heard.
He's totaly right about the 2480 thing. It does make computer DAWs sound thin and a
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson ➑️
I have the Billy Bridge-doing ok/Cd that was recorded by this Rigo person and it sounds amazing. This guy is a full on pro. He's work is up there with the best recordings I've heard.
He's totaly right about the 2480 thing. It does make computer DAWs sound thin and a
I'm going to go ahead and admit...
this entertains me... for some, sick reason.. hehhehheh
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut ➑️
I bet if I smoke some dope my mix will sound better.

not in my experience; but it does get a hell of a lot *easier* to hear what's wrong and to know what to do about it.

god bless the diesel.

gregory scott - ubk
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
as an aside, i've been seriously considering losing the daw lately and just getting a workstation. the catch is that i need at least 8 outs, preferably 16 (i mix otb), and i'm not seeing that option on the ones i've eyed up.

gregory scott - ubk
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➑️
I'm going to go ahead and admit...
this entertains me... for some, sick reason.. hehhehheh
They never stop to think that we might have heard the old - "Hey guys I am a real pro. I mean he is a real pro. Check out my I mean his new CD! It's awesome!".

And it's great how they join Gearslutz that day just to let us know how amazing they...oh I mean the other guy that is a different individual and in no way connected to themselves is.heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
heh this cracks me up.more...more i say..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Please keep pumping the Roland VS's up. I want to sell my VS 2400 (plus monitor and expansion card).
Old 1st March 2009
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have just gone full circle. From Nuendo4 and Samplitude/Apogee AD-DA 16x DAW to My old Roland vs2480. The audio fidelity on those 2480s far surpass computer daw's in every aspect. Eg depth,space,3D imaging,openess and fatness. Those Rolands are Digital's best kept audio secret. Please don't laugh! But it's true. I was shocked. The 2480 was waaaaay surperior by a long shot. Any one else experience other digital recording devices that just blow away computers?
I have to agree with the OP. I hear some local records that I KNOW were cut with that exact machine and it sounds like records cut back in the '80's in big studios. I even made a post on Sonar's forum (now owned by Roland) asking whether the new V-series recorder had the same converters as the 2480. I really believe something got lost in the mix of gear over the last few years. A conspiracy?...

I'm serious... Flame me too! I agree.
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 ➑️
Please keep pumping the Roland VS's up. I want to sell my VS 2400 (plus monitor and expansion card).

price?

gregory scott - ubk
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➑️
as an aside, i've been seriously considering losing the daw lately and just getting a workstation. the catch is that i need at least 8 outs, preferably 16 (i mix otb), and i'm not seeing that option on the ones i've eyed up.

gregory scott - ubk
the VS2480 can have a total of 24 seperate track outs, 16 digital via the adat ins/outs and 8 analogue.

I still use mine as a tape machine with a Toft ATB24 and Apogee AD/DA16X's. It work's brilliantly.
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's no joke. It really is better.
And there's absolutely no reason why it couldn't be. Pro audio people are too much of the herd mentality when it comes to gear. There are lots of products that are nothing special, but because they are marketed right, they become "must haves". How many times have you heard people raving about something and then you buy it and when you put it through its paces, you say, "what???"

Roland has always had a nice, round, warm sound to their digital conversion products, as in their S-550 and S-770 samplers, for example.

If it works for you, use it and don't let the sheep detract from your enjoyment.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
hmmm what if...

those "colors" are nothing but plugins.
and the OP just found out by accident that more plugins is not automatically better?
then it's just a terminology confusion

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used a Roland VS 1824 for years before i switched to using a DAW. And i even bought a lexicon omega setup with cubase to try to get into DAW recording, and i liked the way the VS 1824 sounded better. I think it may have to do with the pres in the 1824. Now i hve a Digi 003 with a black lion mod. I rarelty use the 1824 anymore. But i am keeping it around just in case i want to do some remote location recording or somehting. It is in my opinion a great machine.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere ➑️
Of all of those workstations I thought that the Akai sounded the best...
No jokes now stike

This one is excellent for sure.
I still keep it for rehearsals.
Better than PT that I used 6-7 years ago in parallel (with external converters and mic pres of course). I can't explain why.

I swear by this workstation, how intuitive and elegant it works.
Killed Roland's compressed sound definitelly.
This machine has the most loyal customer base in the world. Just look at their forum, guys are like one big family.

DPS World :: View Forum - DPS 24

IMO good engineer could make 100% profesionally sounding mix on it.

Barry Rudolf's review:

Akai DPS24 24-Track/24-bit/96kHz Workstation

AKAI DPS24 = Roland workstation killer

No flames, please !!!
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I had a 1680. Bypassed pres and converters. the tracks sounded fine. The mixer in it sounded awful. EQ and compression=more than awful.

But, the exported tracks in software are fine. Sure, I can "hear" RDAC...there's a difference in linear tracks and RDAC tracks...but, it's honestly not the culprit, IMO. It's that piss poor mixer. I never bought a 2480 because they never said they did any sonic improvement, and the user community seemed to be on the fence about whether it sounded better...and then almost all of them preferred the software mixers...

I proudly use a DPS24. It sounds better than software I've used. It's cheaper, in the gran scheme, too. I have a Cubase4 PC for MIDI/VSTis. There's no doubt, when I do audio in it that the overall sound is not as nice and open. I could live with software. I couldn't live with a 1680.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ahh the dsp24 versus vs2480 rears it's ugly head again....still raging on since the dawn of digiworkilisation heh

Their owners used to regularly troll each other forums back in the day bordering on militantcy. VSplanet vs DspWorld. ahh brings a tear to my eye..

I personally hate the dsp24 with all the wrath of Satan and God combined, I'm a vS2480 man all the way. Supreme machine. Dont forget the 2480 can record totally uncompressed 24 bit up to 96k just like the dsp24.

Loads of sonic improvements were done to the 2480 over the 1680, vast improvements in fact. Totally different convertors for one. RDAC was actually very good in the 2480.

The sucky things were the mix buss and the pre's, oh ok and the convertors...although these gave the machine a kind of tape/analogue sound in weird way.

These days like I said before, I just use it as a tape machine, so I dont use any pre's, convertors or mix busses. I also use it in uncompressed(non RDAC) mode. It sounds great and is far better than a DAW in ease of use.

If I do any major work editing wise I just dump the WAV files into pro-tools or similar. Then dump em back into the 2480 for mixing up on the analogue outboard and desk.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
wow, very interesting. I never heard one but I love roland stuff- I have lots of synths by them- I'm a fan!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=GYang;3963054]No jokes now stike

This one is excellent for sure.
I still keep it for rehearsals.
Better than PT that I used 6-7 years ago in parallel (with external converters and mic pres of course). I can't explain why.

I'm one of those herd mentality PT guys.

I've had to work with stuff from a 2480 before. Sounded not ggod.

But sure....if you bypass the entire box except the hard drive, iy should sound like everyone elses hard drive.

Now GYang comment on the Akai workstations I will buy. I used an Akai DR16 locked to my Studer for years. Might have been the best pure sonic rig I've had. Akai always had a great sound....even a t 16 bit.

All that being said, a regional sound company has the Roland live console, with their dig snake, and swears by it for smaller gigs.

It looks like they have paired that desk with Sonar for a complete system. Not that I'm buying, but it might be cool.

Rolands big problem is there benchmark sound when designing converters seems to be the Koto.

Bad idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I started my studio in 1996 with 2 Roland DM800s, then added a few adats, providing 32 tracks.

I hated the sound of the 882/20 and the 888, which made me stick with the Roland/Adat combo until early 1999.

Then I picked a PT24TDM and was amazed that the Roland 18bit converters and the DA400 box were better or at the same quality league.

When PT 5.1.1, 24Bit Adat Bridges and 888/24 became popular, I saw a reason to get rid of the DM800s.

It was a pita to edit with the DM800.

The guy who bought my DM800 also bought my PT24 and an 882/20. His a/d is the DM800 in rec standby.

I remember George Benson won a Grammy with "Got to be There", entirely tracked and stored into a DM80.
πŸ“ Reply