Quantcast
the best speaker of the world ... a question concerning the crossover - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the best speaker of the world ... a question concerning the crossover
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
the best speaker of the world ... a question concerning the crossover

Hallo Guys,

I am talking about the NS-10s.

Does anyone know, whether the internal crossover circuit in the NS10-Studio uses dry capacitors or fluid capacitors? To formulate the question in a different way: If I replace tweeter and woofer, do I virtually have a new pair or is the crossover-circuitry aging also? I have a "matched pair". I wonder whether this matching is more or less lost after speaker replacement. Or does this "matching" only relate to the crossover?

regards
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
obviously a too technical question ...
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
your ns10 rehab

The crossover will outlive the drivers mostly, and the electrolytic caps as you suggest might be the first thing to go. Note the caps are probably 5% caps, so they could be in spec and be as much as 10% different in their actual values. Also, if the ns10's are that old, you should know that caps are getting a lot better. There is a significant audio difference between the old solens, and say, a Claritycap.

Try meniscus audio for advice and supply of appropriate replacement caps. Note that the size of some of the new ones can be huge compared to the old ones, big enough to impact the dynamics of box volume etc - so you want to note that size is an issue when ordering hifi replacements.
๐Ÿ“ Reply