Quantcast
Lexicon 300 (Do you gate it?) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon 300 (Do you gate it?)
Old 10th February 2009
Deleted 37a7726
Lexicon 300 (Do you gate it?)

Am i obsessing or does anyone else find the noise floor unacceptable? I use a dbx 166 just clamp off the hiss.
Old 10th February 2009
you must be gain scaling this thing wrong, and I'd never use such a terrible gate to gate a verb
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 37a7726
The gain stages are correct. I've checked 2 different 300's in two different rooms. Both have the same noise floor. -70's . The lex 80/90's & TC's are -100's or so. I'm sure it's just the lex 300's D/A's.. I've had other users bitch about the same issue.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind ➡️
The gain stages are correct. I've checked 2 different 300's in two different rooms. Both have the same noise floor. -70's .
It's called 'Lexicon sound'.
I like 300 BTW
Deleted 37a7726
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
It's called 'Lexicon sound'.
I lile 300 BTW
Ahh the lexicon noise.. Desired by all.
All jokes aside the 300 it worth the extra effort.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Back in the day I used to run the outputs of my noisy verbs through Behringer SNR2000's, which were very effective at transparently reducing hiss. Now that I do so much overly pristine ITB mixing, I actually welcome the little bit of noise from my outboard units when I get to use them!

It's somehow comforting.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just hit it harder. Those lexi's can take more level than you think before you hear audible distortion. When you use a lot of older outboard FX you have to be much more careful about the gain staging than those 24bit plugins. I haven't had any issues with hiss with the 480L and 300 but the noise is always on the verge.

Many of your favorite records have all kinds of tape hiss, and noise going on from the outboard gear, the console, the tape etc but it's all masked by the music and the muting on the buses and channels.
Deleted 37a7726
Thanks for the tips. I have found a usable gain stage. I brought the input down on the unit -6 & cranked console send masters from unity to full. This allows me to still have some play on the channel sends & to hit the 300 & my pcm 80 hard. I can now pull down the verb return channel trims & ride the fader around -6. Gives me a nice NF of around -86 with more then enough verb return.
📝 Reply