Quantcast
Portico 5042 vs Anamod ATS-1 - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Portico 5042 vs Anamod ATS-1
Old 12th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ROFLOL!!! thank you one and all this is far and away the most entertaining thread EVER here!!!!!!!!!!! I just was researching Fatso vs. Anamod whoaaaaaaa I literally laughed so hard i almost fell off my chair !!! HA my money's on the Gloved one I think i need a FATSO and to learn the inner secrets of this mysterious device!!! I accept the challenge !
AB3
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am confused.
Which is more obese - the Fatso or Anamod ATS-1? Seems like the Fatso is more obese with the Anamod being more pudgy? Though the Anamod is more saturated like tape. But the Fatso has saturation that is not like tape, but still may be the good saturation - like Omega 3s?

And is tape really the ultimate, or basically what everyone got use to hearing for so many years.

Maybe years from now someone will make a "THIN-SO" that brings back more of that digital feeling.

Ok - enough rambling. Enjoy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 ➡️
I am confused.
Which is more obese - the Fatso or Anamod ATS-1? Seems like the Fatso is more obese with the Anamod being more pudgy? Though the Anamod is more saturated like tape. But the Fatso has saturation that is not like tape, but still may be the good saturation - like Omega 3s?

And is tape really the ultimate, or basically what everyone got use to hearing for so many years.

Maybe years from now someone will make a "THIN-SO" that brings back more of that digital feeling.

Ok - enough rambling. Enjoy.
it depends whether its masking tape or duct tape but what can be fatter than a FATSO???
Old 30th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Being an Ampex Engineer, it has obviously crossed my mind if tape simulators realy work
I would also like to have a before and after recording sent to me by any Tape Simulator Enthusiast, so I too can take his/her original recording and put it through a variety of tape machines I have, to make a decision as to which is the best one to purchase if any.
At the moment I am able to record direct to a DAW through a loop set-up very cheaply indeed, by just using what I have around me, but if it does not use a loop or a reel of tape, then it could be a good investment in my other role as a Producer/Engineer.

But before sending me samples here is a simple test that a member might wish to be involved in.

Would any member have the test gear equipment to carry out certain tests for me? .
i.e.
Test-1
Take a frequency response test 20Hz to 30kHz, and while monitoring it, adjust the BIAS TRIM and inform me of any changes that take place within the Freqency Response.
Test-2
Also have you ever checked the output when set to the 350 Card or the ATR-102 to see if the Bias frequency is part of the audio signal, the frequency should be about 100kHz for the 350 card, and about 432kHz for the ATR102.
I am assuming that these Tape Emulators are simulating blank virgin tape, so in the case of the ATR-102 the Erase Frequency of 144kHz is absent as it is not required.

You might already know under what conditions the Test-2 should be carried out but if not, then I suggest that no input signal is used, in fact it would be wise to take the XLR input and with a plug Linking both pins 2 & 3 down to pin-1, which will total mute the input.
Place an Oscillator or HF Frequency Counter on the output, turn up the output to suit requirements.

END of POST
Its obvious that I'm on your side, by the way, where are you in our world

Best Regards

Tony.
Tony Arnold (Director)
Ampex Audio & Recording equipment sales support spares parts and repairs including the ATR100 ATR124 & Ampex valve,Ampex spares,Ampex sales,Ampex servicing,Ampex audio equipment,Vintage audio,vintage studio recording equipment, secondhand studio reco
Home
Old 6th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wow, this thread isn't really about gear at all, is it? I think I'm going to start posting this link any time this sort of thing starts up:

Behind the online comments: The psychology of internet Trolls.
Old 8th December 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yes too bad about all the crazy trollish nutbar stuff , I was hoping for some good meat or info on this thread . Some advice - if you post a strong excited veiw of your fav gear , dont let others goad you into a long winded debate on non essential stuff , state your thoughts and ignore the objections .Were no debating deep spiritual truths here people just tools for making music
Old 10th December 2014 | Show parent
nog
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Boy, I feel like a real dumdum for reading most of that.
Old 4th September 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
This was the best post I've ever read
Old 4th September 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Ha Ha Unsaturated Fats.

Run, run, run though lots and lots o clean wire.

I'm so tired and uninspired, I'll expire, but I'll never die Fatso.

So everybody knows ATS is best, but you could run Portico on them all, and know body will no.
Old 18th May 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Sooooo, anyone ever figure out who Gloves is/was?

The story just ended and I feel unsatisfied.

Last edited by Cool711; 18th May 2020 at 10:56 PM..
Old 18th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool711 ➡️
Sooooo, anyone ever figure out who Gloves is/was?

The story just ended and I feel I satisfied.
Mr. Gloves hasn't posted since 2009.

Donnx (uhm, err...'La verdad') hasn't posted since 2015
Old 18th May 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
But Gloves said he was a super awesome producer with years of experience. Did he ever say who he was somewhere else? Or did he remain.... “anonymous muahahaha”?

Was hoping he was Kanye
Old 19th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool711 ➡️
But Gloves said he was a super awesome producer with years of experience. Did he ever say who he was somewhere else? Or did he remain.... “anonymous muahahaha”?

Was hoping he was Kanye
Possible both of them started posting under a new GS identity. I mean, 'La verdad' had already done so as Donnx at that time...
Old 19th May 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Lol.

The drama was hilarious.

I was just trying to get some info.

Incidentally, 2x542 on mix bus = awesome. Not sure hire close it gets to tape.
Sometimes I also prefer Slate VTM.
Lovely on lead guitar.
Old 22nd June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
Wow. I have the Fatso and Anamod and have a complete opposite opinion than yours. I'm keeping my Fatso 'cos I do like it for other things, but not for a real tape effect box. Of course the Fatso's tranny is cool, yet it's a tranny and I have other gear that also has great transformer sounds.

OTOH my Anamod w/351 card really nails it IMO. I don't understand how you can say the Anamod over does it? If you don't drive it hard (and @ 30ips) it can be very clean, with just a hint of tapeyness to it. In fact it's the fatso that overdoes it when you're trying to get a tape sound out of it...and it's not an over saturated tape sound that you end up with.

Do you have the 351 card??

(Also have the HEDD, but only use it as a converter...don't use the processor)
Had both and had the same impressions. Kept the Anamod.
📝 Reply