Portico 5042 vs Anamod ATS-1 - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Portico 5042 vs Anamod ATS-1
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➑️
i did stop. you're the one who posted your rude sleeping emoticon. oh let me guess... that wasn't directed towards me, because the quote and the emoticon were more than one space apart, which constitutes an official subject change. so technically, you weren't addressing the situation... you were actually just really tired, right? end it please.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
dfegad
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Anamod = Greatest Threads Ever
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
fleaman: i'm sorry for being condescending by calling you kid and so on.
Apology accepted.

Quote:
the things that irritated me were: (1) your praise of this UBK fellow, as if he was the final word on the subject and whatever he says goes
I think the problem here is you are not reading my and everyone elses posts clearly enough. I'm pretty clear with what I said yet you seem to take it as though I said something else?

For one, All I said about UBK is that if anyone would know the fatso in and out, it would be him. I never said he was the end all final word on the fatso---Ever. But he should know it's sweet spots. He likes anamod better for tape compression. He didn't say anything about fatso being better for 'that tape thing' on everything else. You are extrapolating that. I'm not.

Quote:
i was merely trying to point out that there's a world of opinions out there which may differ from those on gearslutz. (2) you claimed that it was okay for me to have my opinions, yet you couldn't let the intense anamod defense go.
I ONLY said that you were the only one I know of, here, there or anywhere that thinks fatso does that tape thing better than anamod. I NEVER said there was anything wrong with that. Why so defensive? AND, when you claim there were 10 big time pros who love fatso 'over the anamod', all I asked was, who? You don't wanna name them. So, AFAIK, with the exception of you, I haven't heard anyone else chose the anamod over the fatso for that tape thing. There is nothing wrong with that, but my statement still stands...I don't know (and maybe no one else here) of anyone that chooses the fatso over anamod for tape emulation, other than you (again, nothing wrong with that).

Quote:
you seemingly couldn't believe that a "real pro", as you put it, would think differently than the majority of people on this forum and kept coming back with reasons why it was so much better, rather than asking me why it might not be.
I NEVER said I 'couldn't believe a real pro would chose the fatso over the anamod', I SAID, I never heard of one. There is a big difference here from what I post and how you are interpreting things I've NEVER said. I never said it could happen, but I don't know of anyone and all I asked, to back your claim up (of 10 pros choosing the fatso over the anamod I guess), was to name a few. Why the big secret?

Quote:
at one point, i believe you said "Point is, I haven't read here, anywhere or known (within pro circles) anyone who've used both the fatso (extensively) and the Anamod and have proclaimed the fatso does 'Tape' better....not one. Except you of course."
This is exactly what I wrote, yes. Now, What is wrong with that??

Quote:
and then you went on to challenge me by trying to encourage some bizarre PM correspondence in which we'd send each other the names of people who use each machine, i won't even validate such behavior with an explanation of why that's wrong....
Why do you get so figgin defensive? I wasn't 'challenging' you, my god. I mearly said I could PM you the names of pros I know who've chose the anamod over the fatso. I was trying to not make an EMPTY claim. I was offering to back up what I said.

Quote:
and no, it's not because i can't offer names, it's because the folks to whom i'm referring don't want their names being thrown around a message board and the same goes for me... do i know you?
Hence the reason I offered to PM you----yet then you say I was 'challenging' you. Man, just can't win here.

PM's are meant to be confidential. Sure, you don't know me and vice versa, but If you or I post publicly a PM that we write must stay confidential, either of us is likely to be banned here at GS.

Quote:
- but most artists, producers and record labels do not want the public knowing when a tape emulator was used and i must respect that -
Really? Wow, never heard that before. Very strange. Autotune I could understand, but keeping the use of a tape emulator a secret when the public knows that everything (practically) is recorded digitally today?? Another first for me.

Quote:
but i did offer to help in other ways, so i don't know what else to tell you. it's hard to argue with three people when they're constantly quoting, analyzing and arguing. it seems my major misstep here (aside from insulting fleaman, for which i'm sorry) was implying that people couldn't operate a fatso -
Mr. Gloves, I sincerely believe you would save yourself a lot of grief here by carefully reading the posts you respond to and by doing so, don't accuse people of saying things they never said. Most of this banter here has been about just that. Really, check it out.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock ➑️
We do not want a sound bite. I would love to hear one of your songs or anyone else's song in its entire form where the Anamod was used. Or if you do not want to use your song tell us where we can hear a label song where its used. I do not want to sound accusatory. i seriously would like to hear it in its context in a song especially in a mix.
It's somewhat pointless unless you have a reference. A dry reference, anamod reference (at settings/drives of my choice only---not yours, which you may not like), and a real tape reference----again, which tape, which machine? They all sound different.

To do this properly and accurately would be EXHAUSTIVE. AND, it still wouldn't be 100% conclusive because, well, I, an individual human, adjusted it to my taste, and what I thought sounded the closest. That would be 1 setting (drive, tape speed, bias, etc.).

I would rather pay you the $30 or so in shipping return costs for you to try out the Anamod yourself in your own studio than me spend a day or days doing what you asked in an accurate and as correct manner as possible, which will still not be 100% conclusive to you or others. And even if I did do such a test, it will be download from here, burned to a CD and sold on ebay for $$$ (look it up, someone(s) have been selling comparison CD's downloaded from GS).

And I'm kidding about the shipping costs, especially since you were willing to pay someone else more $$$ for them to send just sound files to you. Let me put it this way, would it sound better to you if you could Rent an Anamod for 10 days for only $30?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I would love to hear a released (or at least mixed/mastered) tune that has anamod on it in some way shape or form. I don't see the harm in that and would be happy to buy the track from my local record store or from the band. But someone needs to point one out!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris ➑️
I would love to hear a released (or at least mixed/mastered) tune that has anamod on it in some way shape or form. I don't see the harm in that and would be happy to buy the track from my local record store or from the band. But someone needs to point one out!
A this point nothing that it was used extensively on (my anamod). Since it was coming in at late stages---overdubs, and the anamod being only 2 channels, + mastering was sent out of studio.

It was used on pretty much all VOX on one album not yet released, I'll let you know when it is finally released.

But of course you won't have a non-anamod reference in this case....
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I have the ATS-1 and love it. Had the Fatso, sold it. When I use the Anamod, I hear tape. Badass machine, that's for sure. 351 card is absolutely essential, as it's basically the only card I ever use. Slam it, and you hear tape saturation.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I've been a recording engineer and producer for 20 years. Started out with tape and have been in the digital realm for the last 10 plus years. Just got the D-Box and the ATS-1 and I have not slept since. Just ask my wife.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
Well, I have the ATS-1 and love it. (...)
Same here.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You won't win MR. GLOVES, not here.

Quote:
These Anamod fans just keep pushing and pushing and pushing... why can't you accept that not everyone has to conform to liking the same unit? Aren't we all entitled to our own opinions? Guess it's not the gearslutz way.

if anamod's not paying you, christ almighty, they should be. you're like a regular walking talking little advertisement! tell me, do you sleep with your anamod too?
There are the same group of individuals that keep pushing and promoting the anamod products, it so obvious. A tip for you gear pushers, if you push too hard, you will scare your potential buyers away. And I wouldn't be saying this if the pushing wasn't so obvious. Whatever you guys are getting paid or accepting or benefiting , put me on the list, it must be good. I never seen anyone push a product this hard since I have been on a car lot shopping for a car.

Seriously speaking, I just don't understand why Anamod won't post samples on their website. Mytek did it, vintech did it, and many others.

Comparing all the tape simulators out on the market to a real tape machine. That would close all this hype and bs here. And that will show how good this product really is. And do continue to offer the 10 day 100% guarantee refund no questions ask.

Mcdsp AC tape plug vs. Digi's Reel Tape Saturation plug vs. Fatso vs. Anamod, vs. Portico 5042, vs. a real original studer tape machine. On the same mix. With those samples. Then there wouldn't be all the 20,000 post of argumentive replies. Thats how I see this Anamod thread being the biggest thread ever here. Debating, arguing, and the same individuals who clock 8 hours a day pushing this product here at GS. But hey, controversy and persistance does work in the music industry.

One question. I am curious why Anamod products were never nominated for Mix magazine tec awards? I think its an innovative group of products and something different that is being offered to the gear world. Just strange that only the portico 5042 gets the nomination and win. But no mentioned info about anamod products. Anyone know whats the deal?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...but all i meant was that there are some very involved, generally unknown ways to coax a totally realistic tape sound out of this unit and it seems most people don't know how to do it.
Don't wish to get involved in the GS bunfight but I think that information wold be gratefully accepted, however I doubt you would wish to share it in such an atmosphere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX ➑️
Seriously speaking, I just don't understand why Anamod won't post samples on their website. Mytek did it, vintech did it, and many others.
Yes why not indeed?...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➑️
A this point nothing that it was used extensively on (my anamod). Since it was coming in at late stages---overdubs, and the anamod being only 2 channels, + mastering was sent out of studio.

It was used on pretty much all VOX on one album not yet released, I'll let you know when it is finally released.

But of course you won't have a non-anamod reference in this case....
I don't see how difficult it is to post a simple acoustic guitar clip with and without the anamod effect.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There are the same group of individuals that keep pushing and promoting the anamod products, it so obvious. A tip for you gear pushers, if you push too hard, you will scare your potential buyers away. And I wouldn't be saying this if the pushing wasn't so obvious. Whatever you guys are getting paid or accepting or benefiting , put me on the list, it must be good. I never seen anyone push a product this hard since I have been on a car lot shopping for a car.
You consistently make accusations that are completely 100% false and with 100% no facts/proof/evidence to back it up---as usual.

There's plenty of gear I've gushed over here on GS (and do note the name of this site) over the years---I must have a relationship with those manufactures? And all the other posters gushing must too? How about you mr. Donnx? You must have relationships with the products you've gushed over here? You are accusing me and others of something that's not at all cool, possibly bringing in the moderators to warn/delete posts. I had to edit this post because I at first accused you of doing this before and the mods warned and deleted your posts. Then I realized it was a poster named 'LA VERDAD' who pretty much accused me and others in the anamod threads in just about the exact same way you have done. I double checked and edited this post since it wasn't you----but in the process I noticed that 'LA VERDAD' was banned in Sep. 2008, the same month/year that you signed up as Donnx....Hmmmm, are you LA VERDAD??
If anything, your consistent behavior hints you must be a portico plant, it would be 'obvious' by your logic

Mix awards, LOL. For a person to berate users here of their opinions yet holds in high regard awards given by magazines who's sole income is from the advertising in their mag of the products they award. Munch on that mr. conspiracist.

At least Mr. Gloves actually has an anamod...his criticism/opinion about the unit has weight. All you do is attack Anamod for silly reasons (no mix nominations, no samples on site, etc.) and attack everyone here for liking it and accusing a benefiting from it in some way----all while you haven't even used the anamod

Why don't you read my first reviews on the ATS-1? You might find that I was thinking of returning it (it was nice, but $3k was a lot of $$$).....until I got the 351 card. If I was benefiting, why would I be doubtful of the unit in the beginning? How could that be 'obvious'?

I will buy you an anamod when you can prove that I have ANY relationship with anamod (or any other gear for that matter) other than buying their products at full list value like you can.

And for that matter, I dare you to make the same bet with me. If I can prove that I have no relationship with anamod, you buy me another ATS-1.

Otherwise, fuuck off.

Last edited by Fleaman; 15th February 2009 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: to edit
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thats how I see this Anamod thread being the biggest thread ever here. Debating, arguing, and the same individuals who clock 8 hours a day pushing this product here at GS. But hey, controversy and persistance does work in the music industry.
?
And who is doing this 'debating'??

Why don't you take a count of the posters, seriously. Mr. Gloves is the ONLY poster who actually HAS an anamod that doesn't prefer it another emulator (fatso in this case)....the debate with him was specifically about that, fatso vs. anamod. Even so, he still likes (loves?) the anamod and has kept it.

Please post here the negative comments/debates regarding the anamod here from posters who actually USED the anamod in the studio.

Please.

Or try the damn thing and post as a user.

Otherwise your armchair gear reviews(?)/debates, with your accusations against posters who give opinions about gear they actually use, belongs in the moan zone thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus ➑️
I don't see how difficult it is to post a simple acoustic guitar clip with and without the anamod effect.
https://gearspace.com/board/1954326-post742.html
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➑️
And who is doing this 'debating'??

Why don't you take a count of the posters, seriously. Mr. Gloves is the ONLY poster who actually HAS an anamod that doesn't prefer it another emulator (fatso in this case)....the debate with him was specifically about that, fatso vs. anamod. Even so, he still likes (loves?) the anamod and has kept it.

Please post here the negative comments/debates regarding the anamod here from posters who actually USED the anamod in the studio.

Please.

Or try the damn thing and post as a user.

Otherwise your armchair gear reviews(?)/debates, with your accusations against posters who give opinions about gear they actually use, belongs in the moan zone thread.

I didn't even mention your name or accused you for anything Fleaman. How do you know I was talking about you? And why are you starting a verbal assault on me?

Being highly defensive to your potential customers speaks for itself. Thats a common trait of a frustrated inexperienced salesman who doesn't know how to sell. Stay cool and you will sale more my freind and never bash anyone, even someone you dislike. Because everyone is a potential customer. Believe me, I know. And yes, I could very well be a potential customer or I could already have one in my studio. How do you know that I don't? Hint, there were a few sold off on Ebay this last year.

Ban from GS for what? For speaking my opinion or observations or not supporting the push for this product? Ouch.

Again, its obvious and please watch the vulgar language. There is no need for that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't even mention your name or accused you for anything Fleaman. How do you know I was talking about you? And why are you starting a verbal assault on me?
So, you are NOT accusing me of your accusations?

Please answer this.

And if you are not accusing me, who are you?

Quote:
Ban from GS for what? For speaking my opinion or observations or not supporting the push for this product? Ouch.
For attacking those here who've giving positive opinions on a product they used, while attacking them for having a benefiting relationship with the manufacture all while you have absolutely no proof and while you haven't even used the product. The only result of such posts is to drum up a fight from those who's integrity here has been challenged. That is what I'm being highly defensive about.

How would you like it if I attacked you for being in bed with the manufacture of a product you pushed here on GS?

Your only opinion is to accuse posters here of being shills. You have no opinions from actually using the anamod.
Quote:
Again, its obvious and please watch the vulgar language. There is no need for that.
By your logic, it's obvious you are a Portico plant and that you were once 'LA VERDAD' who attacked and argued the exact same accusations last year and was banned in sep 2008. If anything is interesting, you signing up in that same month would be something a conspiracist would take note of.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It really is funny to see people get worked up. We are just talking about gear. I personally don't care if no one likes or uses what I use. All I know is that I get the results I want, the way I want them, and the way my artists want them. Anyone who speaks about gear from a place other than personal experience is blowing wind, and anyone who speaks from experience has an educated basis for their thoughts. For those who want samples, email Anamod and ask for them. Or, do what I did and try a unit for 10 days. Or, keep asking others for them. To what this thread started as, I haven't used the 5042, though I am a Portico/Neve fan. As I stated before, the Anamod sounds just like tape to my ears. I read some posts by Bob Katz here regarding the ATS-1, and his thoughts mirrored mine - if it is good enough for someone of that level, I can't see why it wouldn't work for most.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And for the record, I have Nothing against the portico brand. I only brought the name up in my example of donnx's use of logic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
It really is funny to see people get worked up. We are just talking about gear. I personally don't care if no one likes or uses what I use. All I know is that I get the results I want, the way I want them, and the way my artists want them. Anyone who speaks about gear from a place other than personal experience is blowing wind, and anyone who speaks from experience has an educated basis for their thoughts. For those who want samples, email Anamod and ask for them. Or, do what I did and try a unit for 10 days. Or, keep asking others for them. To what this thread started as, I haven't used the 5042, though I am a Portico/Neve fan. As I stated before, the Anamod sounds just like tape to my ears. I read some posts by Bob Katz here regarding the ATS-1, and his thoughts mirrored mine - if it is good enough for someone of that level, I can't see why it wouldn't work for most.

Well said, and professional. Fleaman if you can speak and behave like Feck, you would have alot less stress my friend. You need help before you blow a blood vessel or have an aneurism. Calm down. Its a metal box with electronic parts not a something to stress about.

False accusations. I like that. Man you are showing your true colors.
From what I read on an Anamod thread this guy "La Verdad" you mention was not banned. He requested to have his account closed according to Jules's post. Why are you lying? Another bad trait of a inexperienced salesman. Lying is no good. Shame on you. tutt

The only thing I like from the portico line is the eqs.

I actually do own the 5033s, and love them. Great eqs.

We ought to start a new thread. Fleaman vs. anyone who doesn't agree with anamod. Should definitely be a long dramatic thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well said, and professional. Fleaman if you can speak and behave like Feck, you would have alot less stress my friend.
Dude, he said the same things I've been saying all along, read again what he said.

Quote:
False accusations. I like that. Man you are showing your true colors.
From what I read on an Anamod thread this guy "La Verdad" you mention was not banned. He requested to have his account closed according to Jules's post. Why are you lying? Another bad trait of a inexperienced salesman. Lying is no good. Shame on you. tutt
You know, I have to admit, I set a little trap for you. Yes, I knew 'La verdad' 'asked' to have his account closed. I figured if you really were La Verdad, you would/might point that out (as you have done here). So, I did a little investigating and found some extremely coincidental facts between you and La Verdad. Starting with you signing up as Donnx in the same month La Verdad decided to end his account.
And now the amazing coincidences>

Donnx & La verdad asking about the same mic and saying the same thing (eyeing it on ebay, etc.).
Berliner U77....anyone?

La verdad saying he owns a Pearlman TM1 with EF14 tube and well, so does Donnx!

https://gearspace.com/board/3485586-post32.html

https://gearspace.com/board/3501069-post41.html

And other threads were La verdad & donnx ask the same questions about the exact same product (RME ADI-8 QS)

https://gearspace.com/board/3501185-post40.html

https://gearspace.com/board/3503239-post51.html

Of course since La Verdad had his account closed, all his posts were deleted with the exception of those who've quoted his posts (as in the above links). This means not many La Verdad posts to compare to, yet for the ones that remain in other posters 'quotes', they show that La Verdad has the same interest in the same products and/or owns the same products as Donnx.

And while La Verdad did indeed 'ask' for his account to be deleted, it was only after multiple warnings and post deletions by the moderators. Anyone can see that from a simple search for 'verdad', some examples in the anamod threads>

(edit: apparently you can't post a search link, it won't work), so instead search 'verdad' in these threads, using the 'search this thread' feature>

AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator

https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...mod-am660.html

Notice how La Verdad says and argues and accuses posters of the Exact same things as Donnx regarding anamod? Remember, all of LA VERDAD's posts were deleted when he had Jules delete his account, so there is some obvious posts responding to him but his posts are gone. Yet you can still get an idea of what when on just by other posters posts who've happened to quote La Verdad as those posts weren't deleted.

Yes, I can see how one would want a fresh start here after what happened under the La Verdad name. Deleting the account would also help hide similarities between La Verdad/Donnx, but maybe you(?) didn't take into account that some of La Verdad's comments would not be deleted when they are quoted by other posters.

Quote:
We ought to start a new thread. Fleaman vs. anyone who doesn't agree with anamod. Should definitely be a long dramatic thread.
You want dramatic? Well, you got it Looks like La Verdad's/donnx's true colors have been exposed.

(I have more examples of Donnx/La Verdad posts about the same products, quite uncanny)

Last edited by Fleaman; 16th February 2009 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: correcting search links that didn't work
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fleaman, you seriously need a psychiatric help. Please, do get some help.

Good luck to you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Fleaman, you seriously need a psychiatric help. Please, do get some help.

Good luck to you.
Really??

The final 'coincidence' ???

LA VERDAD signed his name at the end of his post here as 'Don'>>>

https://gearspace.com/board/3472993-post56.html (asking about the Lachapell 583s in Sep.)

Then Donnx selling a Lachapell 583s in Jan here>

https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...ormer-new.html

So, are we still not the old La Verdad here as you claim?? And you are calling me a liar?? Seems like only one person here has something to hide.

I'm not making ANY of this stuff up people, check it out.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LA VERDAD and https://gearspace.com/board/3485573-post34.html >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA VERDAD
I did read the post. Maybe I wanted to hear another users opinion besides yours or anyone else who already posted a comment about them. Is that okay with you?

I own a pair of Proac 100s and a run them through a bryston amp in a acoustically treated studio. I just wanted to hear other opinions on how they translate. Because for me the best translation I ever experienced came out of some Dynaudio BM6a. Not say I can't mix on my proacs but it was alot faster and easier with my Dyns compared to the proacs
Donnx lists his Proac 100's for sale, mentions using a bryston with them>>

https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...-made-u-k.html

https://gearspace.com/board/3253215-post33.html >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA VERDAD
Does anyone have a Red 3 for sale?
DONNX WTB a Red 3>>
https://gearspace.com/board/wtb-want...focusrite.html

True colors.

And for the record, I don't get worked up 'over gear'. You will notice it was only over posters accusing me of being a shill. Even with Mr. Gloves, who actually used an anamod, I didn't say his opinion was wrong, only that it was the only one I heard of preferring the fatso, that's all.

Last edited by Fleaman; 16th February 2009 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: More examples
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
hehheh
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Which one has less saturated fat for a typicla Rock mix?

Fatso or Little Phatty?

Sorry could not help after reading this thread...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad ➑️
Which one has less saturated fat for a typicla Rock mix?

Fatso or Little Phatty?

Sorry could not help after reading this thread...
Everything's full of carbs now... Not much fat. It's too expensive.

/Dave
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This thread has taken a humorous turn.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
any other experiences?
πŸ“ Reply