Quantcast
Portico 5042 vs Anamod ATS-1 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Portico 5042 vs Anamod ATS-1
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #31
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➡️
I would say that one who states that the FATSO sounds "exactly like tape" is in serious error.
You're missing the point entirely. I'm not saying it sounds like tape when you operate it, because if you were doing it correctly you'd be satisfied with the result. No offence, but that's just how it is. Again, this machine is extremely complex and it will not just give away the desired sound. There are special methods of practice, procedure and understanding that will reveal the true tape sound this unit is equipped to provide. As far as I'm concerned; I've chosen to remain anonymous, but rest assured with my 40+ years of professional experience in high end audio design and (exclusive major label) record engineering/producing, I'm qualified to say these things. Perhaps "UBK" could help, but I'm unfamiliar with his credentials. I do know he's modified the machine, but I'd much rather hear from Dave Derr on this matter.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
Well, if anyone should know the in's/out's of the fatso, it would be UBK.

I do agree that the fatso isn't a simple easy button and that there are multiple sweet spots, and once found, can be fantastic. But I don't at all agree that it sounds exactly like tape....or even very close. It just doesn't do the tape compression/saturation like tape (or anamod) does. It's got it's own saturation thing going, and that's why I kept it.
BTW- nothing but tape sounds exactly like tape; i'm just saying it's the closest of all the options, particularly amongst the opinions of the audio world's "elder statesmen" - problem is that, outside of our small subset, no one really knows how to use it. people loved it for its basic operation and once the hype died down, they moved onto the newer ones before really understanding how accurate the fatso can be. believe me though, once you lose the narrow-minded skepticism and open your mind just the tiniest little bit andtruly figure out how to do it, you'll be amazed.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #33
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
You're missing the point entirely. I'm not saying it sounds like tape when you operate it, because if you were doing it correctly you'd be satisfied with the result. No offence, but that's just how it is. Again, this machine is extremely complex and it will not just give away the desired sound. There are special methods of practice, procedure and understanding that will reveal the true tape sound this unit is equipped to provide. As far as I'm concerned; I've chosen to remain anonymous, but rest assured with my 40+ years of professional experience in high end audio design and (exclusive major label) record engineering/producing, I'm qualified to say these things. Perhaps "UBK" could help, but I'm unfamiliar with his credentials. I do know he's modified the machine, but I'd much rather hear from Dave Derr on this matter.
mr gloves, why don't you just share some of your settings?

that would be of much more value to this community than just telling everyone they can't operate a fatso.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
You're missing the point entirely..
I see
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
I'm not saying it sounds like tape when you operate it, because if you were doing it correctly you'd be satisfied with the result.
On what basis can you make such an incredible statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
No offence, but that's just how it is. Again, this machine is extremely complex and it will not just give away the desired sound. There are special methods of practice, procedure and understanding that will reveal the true tape sound this unit is equipped to provide.
I see....Well perhaps out of the goodness of your heart you would be willing to share these "special methods of practice, procedure and understanding" so that the rest of the world might also be enlightened. I am sure that Gearslutz around the world would love to know the secret settings, gain staging etc that makes the FATSO sound "exactly like tape" as you stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
As far as I'm concerned; I've chosen to remain anonymous, but rest assured with my 40+ years of professional experience in high end audio design and (exclusive major label) record engineering/producing, I'm qualified to say these things.
I see..So now you are appealing to authority. Well that is nice and all but before you make such statements you might want to consider that you could very well be interacting with an individual who has themself been working professionally, and that appealing to your expertise is a fallacy known as a call to authority or appeal to authority. It is not an argument at all, but rather fallacious banter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
Perhaps "UBK" could help, but I'm unfamiliar with his credentials. I do know he's modified the machine, but I'd much rather hear from Dave Derr on this matter.
I have never heard UBK make such outstanding claims. If you are attempting to imply that UBK shares your views, I certainly hope that you contacted him prior to making these statements. I don't think UBK would appreciate having his credibility damaged.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiaque ➡️
mr gloves, why don't you just share some of your settings?

that would be of much more value to this community than just telling everyone they can't operate a fatso.
if you tell me your signal chain and send me wav files or a cd of your project, i can do my best to point you in the right direction, provided i have time and energy this weekend (i'm not the spring chicken i once was). it's more interactive than you think though; it's very much like performing on an instrument if you know what i mean. i'm not trying to insult anyone, by the way, i'm simply stating that a lot of people abandoned the fatso before fully understanding its awesome potential. sometimes the hype is better off ignored; take it from a guy with TOO MUCH experience for his own good.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➡️
I see

On what basis can you make such an incredible statement?

I see....Well perhaps out of the goodness of your heart you would be willing to share these "special methods of practice, procedure and understanding" so that the rest of the world might also be enlightened. I am sure that Gearslutz around the world would love to know the secret settings, gain staging etc that makes the FATSO sound "exactly like tape" as you stated.

I see..So now you are appealing to authority. Well that is nice and all but before you make such statements you might want to consider that you could very well be interacting with an individual who has themself been working professionally, and that appealing to your expertise is a fallacy known as a call to authority or appeal to authority. It is not an argument at all, but rather fallacious banter.

I have never heard UBK make such outstanding claims. If you are attempting to imply that UBK shares your views, I certainly hope that you contacted him prior to making these statements. I don't think UBK would appreciate having his credibility damaged.
you are an utterly exhausting person. neither of our credentials are on trial here. i'm simply trying to illuminate members of this forum in regards to the fact that the anamod is not necessarily the FINAL WORD on tape emulation; there are other options if you know how to use them in the same way as the "real pros". in all of my posts, i've made sure to point out that i like the anamod and the portico as well- i just happen to think the fatso does the tape emulation better - and other esteemed industry veterans happen to agree. you, on the other, hand seem hell bent on defending the anamod and cramming it down everyone's throats. yes, it's good - but if you could open your mind just a little bit, you'd see that the subject isn't limited to popular opinion and what UBK thinks! and regarding ubk - i have no idea whether or not he shares my views and frankly i don't care. i'm more interested in hearing from the man who created it, not the man who modified it.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
well, obviously not everything is for everyone, ...[snip]... it's not perfect... but for my money it's the closest to emulating my favorite tape sound. some of the best ears in the business share this opinion as well. it's quite a common opinion in my circle.
And I think ultimately, it's the fact that this is subjectively dependent on what your favorite tape sound is. I'm always astounded when people gives miles of authoritative opinion and yet not state their tastes or the musical styles of their preference. Wouldn't the preferred sound of a country and western producer differ from those of a rap/hip-hop producer? An electronic dance track would have very different needs than an acoustic folk duo.

And while most people like to be "professional" (that is, to not narrow their client base) and say they're good at every musical style under the sun, but ultimately, there will always be aesthetic differences. At least relate what your idea of a good tape sound is, reference an album or genre we have all heard for example. Otherwise, you can just continue to argue about something that doesn't exist: a universal ideal of a sound that everyone is equally attracted to.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock ➡️
Maybe someone will read this and not believe the hype. Buy a tape machine. You will love it.
And maybe they will read this and take into context the comments of those who've actually used the Anamod, and those who haven't (like you).

There is no hype in the Anamod....they offer a free 10 day trail period, return it if it doesn't float your boat. Yet I don't think anyone here that actually used the Anamod returned it FWIR. Those that have used it in their studio have posted their thoughts here accordingly...that isn't hype.

Those that haven't used the Anamod but have strong opinions against it, well.....
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
you are an utterly exhausting person.
I see (The term ad hominem comes to mind, but seeing as you haven't presented an argument or defense, I guess this would fall under the category of simple name calling)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
neither of our credentials are on trial here.
I was simply responding to this quote from you
Quote:
-As far as I'm concerned; I've chosen to remain anonymous, but rest assured with my 40+ years of professional experience in high end audio design and (exclusive major label) record engineering/producing, I'm qualified to say these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
i'm simply trying to illuminate members of this forum in regards to the fact that the anamod is not necessarily the FINAL WORD on tape emulation; there are other options if you know how to use them in the same way as the "real pros". in all of my posts, i've made sure to point out that i like the anamod and the portico as well- i just happen to think the fatso does the tape emulation better
Well I think the question that most people would ask would be why didn't you state that in the first place rather than stating a completely different position which was -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves
now don't take this the wrong way, as i mean NO disrespect to anyone here, but if you can't get the fatso to sound exactly like tape (minus the hiss), then you either don't really know what tape sounds like or you haven't mastered this operation yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
and other esteemed industry veterans happen to agree.
And of course this is a completely invalid form of argument as you continue to demonstrate that you are either unwilling or unable to recognise fallacious calls to authority. The fact that there are people who may agree with you only demonstrates that some share your opinion. Of course there are probably those who would agree with the opposing view point as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
you, on the other, hand seem hell bent on defending the anamod and cramming it down everyone's throats.
This is an interesting accusation. Would you care to demonstrate it by quoting all the places where I was "defending the anamod and cramming it down everyone's throats"? Of course you won't because you can't. The fact of the matter is that there is a real disconnect between your claims/allegations and that of reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
yes, it's good - but if you could open your mind just a little bit, you'd see that the subject isn't limited to popular opinion and what UBK thinks!
Again...I don't think I have ever interacted with an individual who's reasoning was so circular. You are the one who appealed to UBK not I. You do realise that people are able to go back and read the posts for themselves right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
and regarding ubk - i have no idea whether or not he shares my views and frankly i don't care. i'm more interested in hearing from the man who created it, not the man who modified it.
Do you really believe that David Derr would really ascribe to a statement like this? -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves
now don't take this the wrong way, as i mean NO disrespect to anyone here, but if you can't get the fatso to sound exactly like tape (minus the hiss), then you either don't really know what tape sounds like or you haven't mastered this operation yet.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jook ➡️
And I think ultimately, it's the fact that this is subjectively dependent on what your favorite tape sound is. I'm always astounded when people gives miles of authoritative opinion and yet not state their tastes or the musical styles of their preference. Wouldn't the preferred sound of a country and western producer differ from those of a rap/hip-hop producer? An electronic dance track would have very different needs than an acoustic folk duo.

And while most people like to be "professional" (that is, to not narrow their client base) and say they're good at every musical style under the sun, but ultimately, there will always be aesthetic differences. At least relate what your idea of a good tape sound is, reference an album or genre we have all heard for example. Otherwise, you can just continue to argue about something that doesn't exist: a universal ideal of a sound that everyone is equally attracted to.
I agree with you - and while I have dealt with most styles of music in my admittedly lengthy career - I've tried to remain as objective and even-handed as possible throughout this thread. At every opportunity, I gave the Portico and Anamod my thumbs up, explaining that the Fatso sounded more realistic to me and to many of my experienced colleagues (who don't actively contribute to gearslutz - although more people read it than you'd think). These Anamod fans just keep pushing and pushing and pushing... why can't you accept that not everyone has to conform to liking the same unit? Aren't we all entitled to our own opinions? Guess it's not the gearslutz way.

I simply explained in great detail how most people don't know how to use the Fatso properly - which is true! I've found that the majority of users operate at face value, maybe slightly more, but tend to flock to the easier alternative - the "hot new product" asap. If you think the Anamod does tape sound better - great, more power to you, I still like my Anamod and I intend on keeping it - but some of the finest pros in the world have special ways of operating a Fatso; ways in which its full potential can be realized. Instead of being open-minded, these people took it personally! Am I talking to the inventors of the Anamod? Christ! It's a piece of gear used to get a certain sound. None of these machines sound like real tape! Many pros who don't post here happen to think the Fatso gets closest. Does that upset you? Are you angry because you feel you wasted $3000? Well, I assure you that you didn't. As I've said all along, the Anamod is a great unit that does a very interesting, varied emulation of tape. Ditto the 5042. I'm proud to own both of them, but the Fatso has proven to be a more versatile, rewarding tool to me. And also, "UBK" (who I'm sure is a talented fella) is not the final authority on the Fatso and the concept of tape emulation, despite what his disciples have made him, so as I said before I really don't care what he says about this matter. I sure don't mind hearing his opinion, but to say he probably doesn't want to "damage his reputation" or whatever is just childish. Let the man speak for himself and stop planting your Anamod seeds everywhere. Why should his opinion count anymore than anyone else's? Because he worked on the unit for awhile? Come on. Sure, he modified the Fatso, but he didn't create it... and whether you want to believe it or not, many major players prefer the Fatso. That is a fact, not my opinion.

I've explained myself in a mature, reasonable manner and I wish I could say the same for Empire Prod and Dirty Halo (Fleaman, you seemed unwilling to accept these opinions at first, but overall you were respectful and I thank you). I've given up much more info about myself than I ever intended to when signing up for this forum. Take care.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
I've explained myself in a mature, reasonable manner and I wish I could say the same for Empire Prod and Dirty Halo.
Again...people are able to read for themselves, and when they do they will clearly see that the opposite is true. I have only responded to your allegations. When you took part in ad hominem, I did not. I documented everything in quote (line by line, word for word), and you did not. I took care not to misrepresent you even though you continued to misrepresent me. I responded to what you actually said, while again, you did not. You continue to make statements and then run from them. I think it is a good thing that you have seemingly backpedaled on your initial position, but I hope that you will consider the possibility that it is perfectly acceptable to simply say that you misspoke or wish to change your mind rather than engage in completely false allegations and misrepresentations (not to mention slander) of other individuals.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock ➡️
There is no emulation of tape that sounds like tape or that can improve (actually upgrade) the signal the way tape does. The emulators actually distort the sound and decrease fidelity.
Again, you haven't used the Anamod nor have you used/adjusted it to your taste.

Quote:
Tape rounds out the lower end and softens the transients and can add a 3d nature to the sound.
And that's exactly what the anamod does, especially with the 351 card + drums.

Quote:
The emulators just eq and compress the sound for the most part with some honest attempt to emulate the harmonics of tape but in the process degrades the signal.
The anamod in no way does that.

Quote:
The thing tape does best is adding 3d nature to the sound and makes the sound more pleasing due to inherent harmonics. The emulators simply cannot do this.
Right. Again, you simply have not used the Anamod.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
Many pros who don't post here happen to think the Fatso gets closest.
Over the Anamod?? Name one?

I'll PM you the names of 2 pro's well respected here and everywhere who've used the fatso extensively and in fact borrow my fatso and anamod for projects, they love both, but anamod gets their vote for the tape effect.

Quote:
And also, "UBK" (who I'm sure is a talented fella) is not the final authority on the Fatso and the concept of tape emulation, despite what his disciples have made him, so as I said before I really don't care what he says about this matter.
Point is, I haven't read here, anywhere or known (within pro circles) anyone who've used both the fatso (extensively) and the Anamod and have proclaimed the fatso does 'Tape' better....not one. Except you of course.

Quote:
I sure don't mind hearing his opinion, but to say he probably doesn't want to "damage his reputation" or whatever is just childish. Let the man speak for himself and stop planting your Anamod seeds everywhere. Why should his opinion count anymore than anyone else's? Because he worked on the unit for awhile? Come on. Sure, he modified the Fatso, but he didn't create it... and whether you want to believe it or not, many major players prefer the Fatso. That is a fact, not my opinion.
I don't think Empire planted his anamod seed. It was UBK himself who's opinion was that anamod does Tape better.

Quote:
I've explained myself in a mature, reasonable manner and I wish I could say the same for Empire Prod and Dirty Halo (Fleaman, you seemed unwilling to accept these opinions at first, but overall you were respectful and I thank you). I've given up much more info about myself than I ever intended to when signing up for this forum. Take care.
You know, I probably shouldn't of answered this post since I was only really addressing peacock (since he hasn't used the anamod). The only reason I have addressed your post this time is just to mention that I would actually like to hear who it is (pro or poster here) that thinks the fatso does tape better than the anamod (and not just just from sound files). I wanna back you up man (even though I don't agree ).

That being said, you of course can't be wrong with an 'opinion', 'cos it is just that, your opinion. I'm only saying that you're the first to chose the fatso over the Anamod for that tape effect (that I know of). So probably expect a lot of posts here dissenting from your opinion.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
Over the Anamod?? Name one?

I'll PM you the names of 2 pro's well respected here and everywhere who've used the fatso extensively and in fact borrow my fatso and anamod for projects, they love both, but anamod gets their vote for the tape effect.



Point is, I haven't read here, anywhere or known (within pro circles) anyone who've used both the fatso (extensively) and the Anamod and have proclaimed the fatso does 'Tape' better....not one. Except you of course.



I don't think Empire planted his anamod seed. It was UBK himself who's opinion was that anamod does Tape better.



You know, I probably shouldn't of answered this post since I was only really addressing peacock (since he hasn't used the anamod). The only reason I have addressed your post this time is just to mention that I would actually like to hear who it is (pro or poster here) that thinks the fatso does tape better than the anamod (and not just just from sound files). I wanna back you up man (even though I don't agree ).

That being said, you of course can't be wrong with an 'opinion', 'cos it is just that, your opinion. I'm only saying that you're the first to chose the fatso over the Anamod for that tape effect (that I know of). So probably expect a lot of posts here dissenting from your opinion.
if anamod's not paying you, christ almighty, they should be. you're like a regular walking talking little advertisement! tell me, do you sleep with your anamod too? hahaha. listen, i don't need you to tell me about people who like the anamod better, and frankly, i don't know why you care so much about all these pro endorsements. don't you trust your own ears? does everyone have to agree with you? you think it's going to impress me if you pm me the names of two gearslutz celebrities who i'm sure learned their craft on machines i made, listening to music i made. it's all ass backwards, kid. doesn't makes sense. call my claims outrageous, fallacious, whatever you want. i just wish i knew why you felt the need to defend the anamod like it was your bloody child! relax, my boy. you say you've never heard of a top pro saying the fatso sounds more like tape than the anamod... well now you have. in fact, you might wanna add about 10 to that column, because most of the big boys like the fatso. are you one of those types who can't enjoy something unless it has a 100% perfect review record from everyone you know? kinda sad, kid... kinda sad. and btw- don't reference pro circles and what you think goes on in them, because you and i both know you're not a professional. from your posts here and on other threads, i've got you pegged for exactly what you are: a young guy who loves recording and wants to make a future out of it. i honestly wish you the best and i'm sure you can do it, but if you listen to only one thing i've said through all of this, let it be this: respect your elders and those who have decades more experience than you, for they will be your teachers and they will play a huge part in your successes and your failures. too many young hot shot know-it-alls these days. get off the computer and go get some experience, kid! 2500 posts in 6 years? you're spending too much time gossiping and not enough time doing what you love.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Mr. Gloves I will allow Fleaman to respond for himself, but I hope you will take this next critique in the spirit in which it is given. The amount of logical errors, fallacious arguments, ad hominem attacks and just plain falsehood in your posts is absolutely incredible. I would have thought it impossible that so much misinformation could be packed into so little space. Please stop sir. You have demonstrated the level of argumentation in which you are willing to partake, and to be quite honest, I would rather discuss recording and gear.

Moving on...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
What are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
I've explained myself in a mature, reasonable manner and I wish I could say the same for Empire Prod and Dirty Halo...
Huh... ?

What the hell are you talking about?

Can you please find ONE single line in this ENTIRE thread where I've said ANYTHING remotely unreasonable?

Do it.

Do it before you make a total ass of yourself with statements like that (although you already have).

You owe me an apology. Seriously.


-Andrews
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
if anamod's not paying you, christ almighty, they should be. you're like a regular walking talking little advertisement! tell me, do you sleep with your anamod too? hahaha. listen, i don't need you to tell me about people who like the anamod better, and frankly, i don't know why you care so much about all these pro endorsements. don't you trust your own ears? does everyone have to agree with you? you think it's going to impress me if you pm me the names of two gearslutz celebrities who i'm sure learned their craft on machines i made, listening to music i made. it's all ass backwards, kid. doesn't makes sense. call my claims outrageous, fallacious, whatever you want. i just wish i knew why you felt the need to defend the anamod like it was your bloody child! relax, my boy. you say you've never heard of a top pro saying the fatso sounds more like tape than the anamod... well now you have. in fact, you might wanna add about 10 to that column, because most of the big boys like the fatso. are you one of those types who can't enjoy something unless it has a 100% perfect review record from everyone you know? kinda sad, kid... kinda sad. and btw- don't reference pro circles and what you think goes on in them, because you and i both know you're not a professional. from your posts here and on other threads, i've got you pegged for exactly what you are: a young guy who loves recording and wants to make a future out of it. i honestly wish you the best and i'm sure you can do it, but if you listen to only one thing i've said through all of this, let it be this: respect your elders and those who have decades more experience than you, for they will be your teachers and they will play a huge part in your successes and your failures. too many young hot shot know-it-alls these days. get off the computer and go get some experience, kid! 2500 posts in 6 years? you're spending too much time gossiping and not enough time doing what you love.
OMG.

Are you kidding me? This is 'explaining yourself in a mature and reasonable manner'?? I noticed a lot of personal insults in your post above, please show me where I insulted you once? And you're the one calling me a kid???

All I said/mentioned was that you were the only one claiming the fatso did tape better than anamod, PERIOD. I didn't necessarily say that was WRONG (please quote where I did?), only that you were the ONLY one. IF you want to dispute that specific fact, then do it and back it up. But of course you don't/can't or won't. That's fine my friend, but don't be f*cking insulting my maturity on this forum when you can't back it up with 1 factual fact that I brought up (because that would be immature, ya know?).

All I asked was to name ONE person----you can't or won't. Fine, yet all you do is insult me. I can back up every single word and claim I've posted----you can't, or won't. That is the difference between you and I. You call me a kid for backing up what I say? You claim a 'fact' ('many major players choosing fatso over anamod'), yet won't or will not back it up, then call me (and others) kid's for calling you on it. Wow.

2nd> You are insulting me for my 2400 posts over 6 years as spending too much time 'gossiping' and not enough time doing what I love??? DUDE, I guess you're not good at math are you?? (**** an insult, well, your math is flawed though) Let's see, you have 84 posts, signed up in Jan, so lets say 80 posts a month = 960 posts a year = 5760 posts in 6 years.

Guess you're the one not doing what you love relative to ME.

fuuck

Oh, go ahead, peg my age since your all-knowing---do it please.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock ➡️
I do not want to argue with you at all. All you have to do is post a song you have mixed with the Anamod and we will listen. Its easy to do. Just post a mp3 file and let us listen.

Your argument would be better served by posting audio. No hard feeling if you do not but it may change my mind and some others here.

We have had a lot of talk but no audio to listen too with respect to the Anamod so far. I have no problem with you liking the tape simulators at all. We all have differing taste in music and that's normal.
We've gone over this before in the anamod thread. Everyone, including I, said you can't begin to really dig into the anamod by posting a few files of sound bites. It might give you an idea of it's capabilities, but that's about it. You apparently wanted to pay someone else, in some far away studio, more $$$ for them to try the anamod out for you, than you could of tried it out for yourself for 10 days for much less $$$.

I will never understand the logic of that (nor did Anyone in that thread either). So be it.

I'm not here to win an argument or sell anamods or anything else. It's quite simple: you can't really know the capability of most gear by someone else's sound bites, period. And since I know that a few sound bites don't begin to show what the Anamod can do, I will not waste my time doing such---Because the sound bites Others have posted here haven't impressed me that much (part of that might be because there were no 351 samples).

Bottom line, it cost like $30 in shipping to try it out for 10 days....come on, it cost that much to rent a dbx160 for a day

I like the anamod, but I could care less if anyone wants to buy it. What does trip me out are those who haven't tried it and then post on forums that nothing, including the anamod can pull off the tape thing.

Ah the internet.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Kris's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I don't think that's unreasonable to ask.

I'd also like to hear a final product where the Fatso was used in the manner Gloves described, and another where the anamod was used. I'd be happy to go out and buy the albums!
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #50
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
dirty halo: you implied that owning the fatso was embarrassing, which is, of course, your opinion, but as far as i'm concerned, the only embarrassment regarding this unit is not being able to operate it to its full potential. and when you say things like that in a tape emulation discussion, it doesn't contribute to the conversation; it's just you taking a side without any proper reasons. and, with all due respect, i don't owe you an apology. i don't owe you anything. i said you were insulting and immature, because that's how it felt to me.

empire prod: you responded "anyone who thinks this is in serious error" to my opinions about the fatso's sound. when i said that anyone who can't get this machine to sound like tape either doesn't know tape well enough or hasn't mastered the fatso, you said "you can't be serious." that's insulting! maybe you think the same of what i said, but all i ever stated was that the fatso is a complex machine that many industry veterans operate in different ways than most. but rather than being able to accept that, you strike back with this hollow protest of innocence and your frustratingly unique cocktail of quasi-legal cross-examination and psychological analyzation. and before you say "quasi-legal cross-examination and psychological analyzation?! i've done no such thing, i merely...." let me explain: you pick apart and quote my posts like you're in a courtroom, referencing ad hominem when i said "you're an utterly exhausting person", despite the fact that i immediately resumed objective focus and non-persuasive opinion. you accuse me of fallacious argument, ad hominem and slander without ever addressing the issues at hand. you seem more interested in breaking me down than discussing the tape emulators. take a look back and you'll see that all of MY posts discuss the gear, whereas yours do not. did i say all of my posts? let's say "most of" just in case... i don't want to go back and check, but i also don't want you to get me on a technicality, which i'm sure would make your day. i truly wouldn't be surprised if you were a law student. the only thing circular about my argument is that i keep addressing your nonsense.

fleaman: i'm sorry for being condescending by calling you kid and so on. i am a much older man, an industry veteran, and i deal with a lot of young know-it-all punk interns and novices on a weekly basis. your attitude was beginning to resemble theirs. anyway, i was out of line with most of what i said, but i meant it when i wished you the best of luck. the things that irritated me were: (1) your praise of this UBK fellow, as if he was the final word on the subject and whatever he says goes (btw- on this post he never actually said "anamod does tape better", he said "one thing anamod does better is that tape compression thing" (paraphrasing, empire prod - don't hurt me!! i'm too old to go to court!!). i was merely trying to point out that there's a world of opinions out there which may differ from those on gearslutz. (2) you claimed that it was okay for me to have my opinions, yet you couldn't let the intense anamod defense go. you seemingly couldn't believe that a "real pro", as you put it, would think differently than the majority of people on this forum and kept coming back with reasons why it was so much better, rather than asking me why it might not be. this is another example of that immaturity i was talking about (of which i thoughtfully exempted you in my initial accusation, despite its existence). at one point, i believe you said "Point is, I haven't read here, anywhere or known (within pro circles) anyone who've used both the fatso (extensively) and the Anamod and have proclaimed the fatso does 'Tape' better....not one. Except you of course." and then you went on to challenge me by trying to encourage some bizarre PM correspondence in which we'd send each other the names of people who use each machine... i won't even validate such behavior with an explanation of why that's wrong. and no, it's not because i can't offer names, it's because the folks to whom i'm referring don't want their names being thrown around a message board and the same goes for me... do i know you? can i trust that wouldn't tell empire prod and dirty halo and anyone else? of course not. i'm not here to play games.

all three of you have given me a hard time about this. the worst part is that i actually like the anamod (and portico units), as i've said endlessly - i just prefer the fatso better. if i could post sample settings, i would, but i did offer to help with any songs you wanted to send me. and i cannot direct you to any recordings to buy, because i wish to remain anonymous, which no one seems to be able to respect, accusing me of lying - that's to be expected though, so i understand. this is why i never even wanted to say this much about myself. it makes participation impossible either way, so i'm at a loss regarding that. also - and i don't know whether you know this or not - but most artists, producers and record labels do not want the public knowing when a tape emulator was used and i must respect that - but i did offer to help in other ways, so i don't know what else to tell you. it's hard to argue with three people when they're constantly quoting, analyzing and arguing. it seems my major misstep here (aside from insulting fleaman, for which i'm sorry) was implying that people couldn't operate a fatso - but all i meant was that there are some very involved, generally unknown ways to coax a totally realistic tape sound out of this unit and it seems most people don't know how to do it. this all escalated from that and my preference for the fatso, which, even after painfully detailed posts, certain people couldn't understand or accept. anyway, i hope you understand where i'm coming from. no hard feelings.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
TRY READING! It helps. No, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
dirty halo: you implied that owning the fatso was embarrassing, which is, of course, your opinion, but as far as i'm concerned, the only embarrassment regarding this unit is not being able to operate it to its full potential. and when you say things like that in a tape emulation discussion, it doesn't contribute to the conversation; it's just you taking a side without any proper reasons. and, with all due respect, i don't owe you an apology. i don't owe you anything. i said you were insulting and immature, because that's how it felt to me.
WOULD YOU CARE TO ACTUALLY READ THIS TIME?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️
Oh, and to others, I've had the odd pleasure (or embarrassment) of owning ALL mentioned, a Fatso, Portico 5042, Anamod and a Studer A80... if the next sentence is any indication of my opinion, so be it.

The only one I don't own anymore is the Fatso.


Thanks

-Andrews
What part of "Embarrassed for having owned them ALL" don't you get.

What part of ANY of that is "disrespectful?"

I have been PERFECTLY respectful, but now I'm pissed and you're acting like a little bitch to people who contribute GOOD info here... and for a lot longer than you.

So, here's your disrespect. (take it as you will)

-andrews
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
And of course this is what I really said -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➡️
I would say that one who states that the FATSO sounds "exactly like tape" is in serious error.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Mr Gloves please step away from the keyboard
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #54
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️
WOULD YOU CARE TO ACTUALLY READ THIS TIME?



What part of "Embarrassed for having owned them ALL" don't you get.

What part of ANY of that is "disrespectful?"

I have been PERFECTLY respectful, but now I'm pissed and you're acting like a little bitch to people who contribute GOOD info here... and for a lot longer than you.

So, here's your disrespect. (take it as you will)

-andrews
If you're so embarrassed by owning ANY tape emulators, then why would you contribute that to a tape emulation discussion involving people who USE them? And i don't think your info is any better than mine. i explained how the fatso is more complex than it gets credit for and that many industry veterans (much more experienced than your average joe) who have worked on the most important projects in recorded history, including myself (sorry for the ego, but it came to that long ago), find the machine to sound more like tape when properly executed. for some reason, no one can accept that and people like fleabag claim to respectfully disagree, yet cannot stop implying that my methods are somehow wrong, simply because the anamod is in style now. yes, it's good, but a lot of us disagree. why is that so hard to accept? can't you just let it go, flea, without getting your nose all out of joint? it's easy to just point fingers at me and tell me what i'm doing wrong and how irrational i'm being, but all i tried to do was inform people that there are other options; better options, in the opinion of many whose accomplishments surpass your own.
Old 12th February 2009
  #55
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Lets review:

dfegad
fuuck
dfegad

fuuck

dfegad
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #56
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
empire prod, this is what i wrote:

you responded "anyone who thinks this is in serious error" to my opinions about the fatso's sound.

and you corrected me by responding:

And of course this is what I really said-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod
I would say that one who states that the FATSO sounds "exactly like tape" is in serious error.

these are the same! how could you claim otherwise? or is this another one of your mock trial technicalities? is there one word displaced that makes all the difference? or does the inclusion of the world "would" grant you some sort of immunity from any and all verbal committment that one might hold you to? come on! people take things at face value. no one has time to read into the brilliant subtleties of your posts. i took your comment for exactly what it was: a condescending, know-it-all remark meant to challenge my opinion and sway people to your way of thinking.

and for the record: i've tried to be civil and to move on so many times, but you kids just kept pushing me and pushing me. i laid it all out and all you could respond with was a quote that you claim meant something other than what it obviously says! let's just agree to disagree and end this nonsense already. if anyone wants to know the pro fatso techniques i was talking about earlier, the offer still stands. have a good life.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
empire prod, this is what i wrote:

you responded "anyone who thinks this is in serious error" to my opinions about the fatso's sound.

and you corrected me by responding:

And of course this is what I really said-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod
I would say that one who states that the FATSO sounds "exactly like tape" is in serious error.

these are the same! how could you claim otherwise? or is this another one of your mock trial technicalities? is there one word displaced that makes all the difference? or does the inclusion of the world "would" grant you some sort of immunity from any and all verbal committment that one might hold you to? come on! people take things at face value. no one has time to read into the brilliant subtleties of your posts. i took your comment for exactly what it was: a condescending, know-it-all remark meant to challenge my opinion and sway people to your way of thinking.

and for the record: i've tried to be civil and to move on so many times, but you kids just kept pushing me and pushing me. i laid it all out and all you could respond with was a quote that you claim meant something other than what it obviously says! let's just agree to disagree and end this nonsense already. if anyone wants to know the pro fatso techniques i was talking about earlier, the offer still stands. have a good life.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #58
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➡️
see? i'm looking to end it amicably, yet you cannot refrain from being a little smart-ass. at least now you're making your true colors more obvious for those who couldn't see it until now... and best of all, you know i'm right.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves ➡️
see? i'm looking to end it amicably, yet you cannot refrain from being a little smart-ass.
You are a funny guy. If you wanted it to end you would have stopped.

Just stop!
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
  #60
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➡️
You are a funny guy. If you wanted it to end you would have stopped.

Just stop!
i did stop. you're the one who posted your rude sleeping emoticon. oh let me guess... that wasn't directed towards me, because the quote and the emoticon were more than one space apart, which constitutes an official subject change. so technically, you weren't addressing the situation... you were actually just really tired, right? end it please.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1975 views: 296021
Avatar for heyman
heyman 2 weeks ago
replies: 358 views: 70437
Avatar for fromthepuggle
fromthepuggle 24th January 2021
replies: 352 views: 39177
Avatar for DAH
DAH 24th November 2020
replies: 83 views: 8756
Avatar for Rsantana
Rsantana 22nd July 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump