Quantcast
Help me decide on a new vox/overhead pre - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me decide on a new vox/overhead pre
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Help me decide on a new vox/overhead pre

So like the title says, I'm looking for a new vocal and overhead pre. I know you all hate threads like this but please bear with me. I'm either considering the pacifica or the great rivers. Taboo subject right, hahaha. Anyways I already have an Api 3124 and am picking up some vintech 273 soon. I'm really looking for something that sounds rich and adds that shimmer when saturated. Unfourtunately I have no way to test either out so Im really counting on first hand experience, preferably with both. Thanks in advance!!
Old 9th February 2009
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Obviously... I'm a huge fan of the Great River unit. It is about as "all purpose" as a pre can get. FWIW, my "go to" pre for both overheads as well as vocals has been the Thermionic Culture "Earlybird" for the last couple of years... but as always... YMMV.

Peace.
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 ➡️
I'm really looking for something that sounds rich and adds that shimmer when saturated.
Well I would've said 3124, but since you already have it,...Crane Song with fat and iron. My favs for OH is my Flamingo or Buzz Audio MA2, depending on the situation. I like using my Great River for bass. But that's just me. I don't think you'll regret getting any of your choices.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have no experience with GR (yet), but I've found the Pacifica to be a great complement to the 3124 for drum tracking. With certain voices and mics, I've also gotten good vocal results with it. Added to your API and the Vintech, that should give you a pretty good pallette.
📝 Reply