Quantcast
opal monitors tried yet? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
opal monitors tried yet?
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
opal monitors tried yet?

Has anybody tried the new events mon yet?
A/B test or straight listen?

Oli
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep.Today.

Ty Ford Unpacks the new Event Opal on Vimeo

So far, so good.

Ty Ford
Old 26th March 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So any opinons on the Opal? I'm in first monitor buying choice hell!!!
Old 26th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, I've heard these in 3 different rooms.

Here are my impressions so far.

My current set of monitors are ASP8s and my reference cans are ATH-M50s. The first thing that hit me when I fired up the Opals is 'wow, where did the midrange go?'. They are not mid-forward monitors. On the contrary they sounded like a miniature PA system with a certain depth to the sound stage and overall pristine quality that was very pleasurable to listen to with well-mixed material.

The highs strike me as very forward in contrast to every monitor I ran side by side with them (barring the Dynaudio BM5A compacts). Not forward in a harsh or painful way... but just very present and revealing. Extremely open high end. You can really hear the 10kHz+ working out there. Made the Gennie 8040As and Adam A7s next to them sound muffled in comparison.

The bass can get extreme in smaller spaces. In one 'treated' room they were positioned near a corner and they were absolute overkill. There was absolutely no definition in the lower notes and they kicked on like crazy. None of the other monitors could match that bass response. After setting them to 1/4 wavelength mode they tightened up a lot.

Now, trying them in a larger space, that bass was amazing. It hit me with a clarity and punch similar to that of infinite baffle designs like the KH O300s. From memory perhaps not quite as flat and rich, but in the same ballpark. Hard to say as I may be suffering from memory fog nostalgia.

Now the single most impressive thing about these is the transient response. My lord, you can hear the slow attack compression on percussion clamping down. Transients seem to pop out of the speakers and hit you in the face. I was listening to some CLA material and they are amazingly punchy. Those are the 750 Watts at play.

On the whole extremely revealing speakers. They will likely NOT suit those who are used to mixing with mid-forward monitors. These are, if anything, a little subdued in the mids. Whether this is a byproduct of low distortion or not, I cannot say. All the same, there is a depth to the soundstage that is amazing. Great room EQ options etc. etc. I think for the money it would be hard to beat them unless you really dislike their general tonal balance. For me they sat a bit on the scooped side, but I think I could learn to love them for what they are, if I had a pair of NS-10s next to them.
Old 27th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz ➑️
Yes, I've heard these in 3 different rooms.

Here are my impressions so far.

My current set of monitors are ASP8s and my reference cans are ATH-M50s. The first thing that hit me when I fired up the Opals is 'wow, where did the midrange go?'. They are not mid-forward monitors. On the contrary they sounded like a miniature PA system with a certain depth to the sound stage and overall pristine quality that was very pleasurable to listen to with well-mixed material.

The highs strike me as very forward in contrast to every monitor I ran side by side with them (barring the Dynaudio BM5A compacts). Not forward in a harsh or painful way... but just very present and revealing. Extremely open high end. You can really hear the 10kHz+ working out there. Made the Gennie 8040As and Adam A7s next to them sound muffled in comparison.

The bass can get extreme in smaller spaces. In one 'treated' room they were positioned near a corner and they were absolute overkill. There was absolutely no definition in the lower notes and they kicked on like crazy. None of the other monitors could match that bass response. After setting them to 1/4 wavelength mode they tightened up a lot.

Now, trying them in a larger space, that bass was amazing. It hit me with a clarity and punch similar to that of infinite baffle designs like the KH O300s. From memory perhaps not quite as flat and rich, but in the same ballpark. Hard to say as I may be suffering from memory fog nostalgia.

Now the single most impressive thing about these is the transient response. My lord, you can hear the slow attack compression on percussion clamping down. Transients seem to pop out of the speakers and hit you in the face. I was listening to some CLA material and they are amazingly punchy. Those are the 750 Watts at play.

On the whole extremely revealing speakers. They will likely NOT suit those who are used to mixing with mid-forward monitors. These are, if anything, a little subdued in the mids. Whether this is a byproduct of low distortion or not, I cannot say. All the same, there is a depth to the soundstage that is amazing. Great room EQ options etc. etc. I think for the money it would be hard to beat them unless you really dislike their general tonal balance. For me they sat a bit on the scooped side, but I think I could learn to love them for what they are, if I had a pair of NS-10s next to them.
How do you think these would compare with JBL 6328P's or Quested S8r's and some of the high powered(200 or more watt amplifiers) brands such as Equator?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
We tried them out about 6 weeks ago, (mid size treated control room) for the price they are a very good monitor.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hdust: Is that a picture of the TRS studio control room in your avatar?

@garage: I couldn't say. I've never tried any of those monitors.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hdust: Is that a picture of the TRS studio control room in your avatar?

@garage: I couldn't say. I've never tried any of those monitors.
Hey Ermz,

Yeah an old one
Old 28th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They will likely NOT suit those who are used to mixing with mid-forward monitors. These are, if anything, a little subdued in the mids. Whether this is a byproduct of low distortion or not, I cannot say. All the same, there is a depth to the soundstage that is amazing. Great room EQ options etc. etc. I think for the money it would be hard to beat them unless you really dislike their general tonal balance. For me they sat a bit on the scooped side, but I think I could learn to love them for what they are, if I had a pair of NS-10s next to them.
I asked PAR if I could talk about some of the things I found during my review. They said yes.

Have to say I agree with 94.3% of Ermz's impressions. The transient response, yes, I heard that here as well. The plucking of acoustic bass and finger picked acoustic guitar (among other things).

Depth -- and breadth -- of sound stage. At one point, I leaned to the right to switch monitors to my JBLs. As I did, I thought my left JBL had failed to fire up. I leaned back to the center and it was there. From that same position, over to the right, I was still getting plenty of left from the Opal. There was a wide sweet spot with a smaller hyper-sweet spot about a foot or two wide.

There is sort of a 3D thing that happened while listening to acoustic bass on one cut.
If I closed my eyes, it was very easy to imagine the bass was almost right there. Quite frankly, that was a little weird.

On CDs that I used for the eval, I noticed a wider variation of sound textures and sounds than with my existing monitors. This goes back to Ermz's comment about clarity. I didn't read the Opals as mid scooped, but I can see where the extreme clarity could be read that way. Stones CDs had a lot more mids. No disrespect to the Glimmer Twins. Anything they do is fine with me.

I tried 'em at two different mix stations. I needed the on-board EQ on the second position and it worked very well. I was not prepared for the low end for the 7" woofers. I saw them and thought, "Hmm, where's the sub?" I have a couple of low end test cuts. One is a cut from a Zachary Richard CD. He uses some sort of indigenous indian hand drum. It's in the mix pretty deep, but it's very big. The Opals had no problem making them happen. I pulled the file into my workstation used a spectrum analyzer and found the note was about 40 Hz.

Are there notes below that in today's music? Yes, I've heard some techno and rap song where they are doing something bigger in the basement, but I don't, so I didn't go there.

Given what you get for the $3k, the Opals may be slightly under-priced. At any rate, as I mentioned a while back, you need to get in front of them with some of your well-known CDs and be prepared to hear more differences than you're used to hearing.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just got mine in and messed with 'em for a couple hours.

Extremely revealing - hearing things Ive never heard before in songs I've heard a million times. I agree with previous poster on transient response and overall dynamics. Hearing reverb decays and compression like I've never noticed before. Hearing picks on guitars, fingers on bass, weird. Stereo field separation is phenomenal IMO. stuff in the middle really comes "from the middle"

I noticed no real weakness in midrange, but I hate midrange, and I guess if you're used to it, the lows and highs coming out of these will be a change for sure.

Still gonna work out for a few days before final opinions, but sounding good so far.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Has anyone heard these AND the focal twins? I'm having a few difficulties with my Twins and i'm considering looking elsewhere, these have definately caught my eye.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
From memory these are voiced a bit differently to the Focals. Definitely not as high-mid forward, and much more 'real' bass, transients and soundstage. Between the two it's not even a contest, IMHO. The Opals are the more accurate and transparent monitors. The Focals imprint a sound, much as Adams and NS-10s do.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
funny how the Twins selling point on most websites is along the lines of....'a speaker that doesn't impart colour to the sound. A transparant speaker'

I think i'm going to have to demo these Opals when they hit the UK. The price over here is going to be around Β£2498 which is considerably more than the Twins but i'm hoping its worth it. I wanted to love the Focals and did love the way they translated but i've had too many qc related issues with them. Ah well....
Old 29th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Based on what I've read in this forum, this monitor sounds like a Genelec 1032
scary.....
πŸ“ Reply