The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How are you using the Chandler TG2?
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How are you using the Chandler TG2?

I'd like to hear how other TG2 owners are utilizing this great preamp. There
are lots of posts on how great it is on electrics but I'm curious how you are
finding it on other sources & how you are setting it up with what mics etc.
Are you using it into compressors, how about the impedance switch?

So far I've been using it on Vox/acoustic/electrics & direct bass.
I usually seem to be bumping the gain up to right before it distorts.
The sweet spot where it starts to compress & get punchy.

Cheers
Sean
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
TG2 uses

I'm using it on kick and snare a lot - and direct bass like you posted. Not the first choice for drum overheads. Good on vocals too. Makes a big difference on kick and snare - tames them a little, kick sound sits nice in the overall music mix just by picking this preamp.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Are you driving it pretty hard?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just basics

I'm just using it in general. I've heard driving it gets you different results - one of the studios I tracked in got the TG2 later - that engineer said he loved playing with the input/output gain differences. I'll probably get to that when I get a summing mixer. TG2 got me my best bass sound - I just set each control to mid gain and got a smokin' sound. Bass was a 5-string Warwick with frets.

🎧 10 years
It's probably my most used pre (and I have a lot of options). It's a regular on lead vocal, electric guitars, acoustic gtrs, overheads and percussion.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Trev are you hitting the gain hard or kinda mid point? How are you finding the impedance switches?

I actually did some experiments, looking at the wav files setting the gain from lowest usable to distortion. It was interesting to see the wav squish right before clipping. You could obviously hear the difference as well but I'm curious if folks are hitting this pre pretty hard most of the time?

Regarding the impedance switches, I'm not sure how much difference it makes with the sound. I know it makes it louder but by backing the level off it doesn't sound a whole lot different. Maybe a tad brighter but I'm not sure yet. What do you guys find?

Cheers
Sean

🎧 10 years
depends what I'm after. If you hit the input hard with a lo out put you get much more colour, do the opposite and you get something altogether lighter. Impednace buttons kind of add weight so it will always depend what you are shooting for in the particular case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwraith ➑️
Trev are you hitting the gain hard or kinda mid point? How are you finding the impedance switches?

I actually did some experiments, looking at the wav files setting the gain from lowest usable to distortion. It was interesting to see the wav squish right before clipping. You could obviously hear the difference as well but I'm curious if folks are hitting this pre pretty hard most of the time?

Regarding the impedance switches, I'm not sure how much difference it makes with the sound. I know it makes it louder but by backing the level off it doesn't sound a whole lot different. Maybe a tad brighter but I'm not sure yet. What do you guys find?

Cheers
Sean
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➑️
depends what I'm after. If you hit the input hard with a lo out put you get much more colour, do the opposite and you get something altogether lighter. Impednace buttons kind of add weight so it will always depend what you are shooting for in the particular case.
The only mic I've cared for switching to 300 was a Fathead. It made the sound a lot thicker and punchier at the same volume. Any of the other mics I tried it just made sound funny. Haven't tried a whole lot though so my input is pretty worthless.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog ➑️
Hey, in general do you find that the TG 2 has lots of input Headroom even when you hit the input hard and the unit goes into heavy coloration ?
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anybody using the TG2 for colour in mixing?

Has anyone compared it with the TG1 in THD mode? Can it do that poppy, gooey thing on drums?

I'm finding myself printing my drum stem so I can re-use the TG1 in THD on the whole bus and I'm trying to stop myself buying a second one so I can do it all at the same time
https://static.gearslutz.com/board/i...s/nu/icon5.gif
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
FWIW, I have a pair of TG Channels and the Zener limiter... i've only patched the mic pres in for saturation purposes (during mixing) a few times on snare and bass guitar, but it seems like they may turn over into a more obvious heavy-handed distortion more quickly than the Zener in THD mode.

It's still a cool sound, you just have a smaller window for more nuanced saturation effects... the Zener (and I assume TG1) give you a bit more control in this lower range. Although -- if you really want to audibly decimate something i think I like the TG mic pres better!

That's my somewhat untested impression.

*I guess some of that could be gain staging and the somewhat coarse 5dB adjustment on the front end of the TG channel... I'll give it a shot later tonight and follow up.

Last edited by TimFoster; 20th March 2017 at 01:13 PM..
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I just finished a mix a couple of weeks ago with a couple of TG-2 500s on the mix bus <3. I got them quite recently so I'm definitely still getting to know them, but definitely a big fan so far. Hitting them pretty hard on the mix bus, the things I noticed most are that it rounded off some stray transients nicely and added some nice air that I was previously using an EQ plug-in to accomplish. Notably, they do lighten up the low end a little bit so I brought some of that back with the low shelf on the RND 551 after the TGs. I think I can say that TG-2 500 -> RND 551 will be one of my go-to mix bus color combos for the foreseeable future!
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFoster ➑️
FWIW, I have a pair of TG Channels and the Zener limiter... i've only patched the mic pres in for saturation purposes (during mixing) a few times on snare and bass guitar, but it seems like they may turn over into a more obvious heavy-handed distortion more quickly than the Zener in THD mode.

It's still a cool sound, you just have a smaller window for more nuanced saturation effects... the Zener (and I assume TG1) give you a bit more control in this lower range. Although -- if you really want to audibly decimate something i think I like the TG mic pres better!

*I guess some of that could be gain staging and the somewhat coarse 5dB adjustment on the front end of the TG channel... I'll give it a shot later tonight and follow up.

I feel like I have quite a wide window with the TG1 for what I'm trying to get so it's not a huge concern if that were to be narrowed a bit.
I'm doing drum and bass so the drums tend to be hammered a bit anyway haha

Also, the TG2 has a fine gain control doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanallen ➑️
I just finished a mix a couple of weeks ago with a couple of TG-2 500s on the mix bus <3. I got them quite recently so I'm definitely still getting to know them, but definitely a big fan so far. Hitting them pretty hard on the mix bus, the things I noticed most are that it rounded off some stray transients nicely and added some nice air that I was previously using an EQ plug-in to accomplish. Notably, they do lighten up the low end a little bit so I brought some of that back with the low shelf on the RND 551 after the TGs. I think I can say that TG-2 500 -> RND 551 will be one of my go-to mix bus color combos for the foreseeable future!
What you're describing sounds like what I'm trying to get
Old 21st March 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFoster ➑️

Also try running one side of the Zener Limiter into the other.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot ➑️
Thanks guys

I feel like I have quite a wide window with the TG1 for what I'm trying to get so it's not a huge concern if that were to be narrowed a bit.
I'm doing drum and bass so the drums tend to be hammered a bit anyway haha

Also, the TG2 has a fine gain control doesn't it?

What you're describing sounds like what I'm trying to get
The TG2-500 & TG Microphone Cassette both have "Fine Gain" control, it's like a color wheel, allowing you to dial it in to taste.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So I compared the characteristics of the Zener in THD mode to the TG Channels in terms of "color" a bit tonight. What I heard, IMHO etc etc, is probably as expected: They are different!

As it should be, I guess, given different circuits employing different components. THD mode is not a simple overloading of the opamp stages and trannys if I'm interpreting the manual correctly. They state it retains some aspects of the sidechain circuit, resulting in a push towards triangulation of the waveform, versus the more traditional movement towards the softened square-wave distortion you tend to see when you simply overload a preamp.

Run hot, the tonal differences are pretty obvious IMO, but even used gently here's what *I think* I hear:

--The Zener in THD mode (and I assume TG1) retains a slightly more balanced and controlled sound. It's not quite as lively, doesn't emphasize the lows as much, but is probably more suited to general use. A bit more HiFi sounding.

--The TG Channels (and I assume TG2) have a more pronounced low end as you head into saturation. It's mushier and not as tight, but hot damn -- a great gooey and euphonic vibe. It feels a bit more untamed and lively, even used gently. Hollows out and gets a bit tubby as you head into high gain saturation, comparatively.

Both are cool and can probably accomplish the same means to an end - but they take different paths to get there and I'm not sure one can truly replace the other (depending on how hung up you are on recreating exactly what your TG1 is doing...) Both will breath some organic life into a mix and add some energy. THD excels in subtle tastefulness, but can get nasty. TG pre's can add just a bit of liveliness, but excel in "F*ck yeah!!!"

I think for what you're doing woodfoot, if you like THD, you'll love some incarnation of TG preamp!!!

Last edited by TimFoster; 21st March 2017 at 05:42 AM..
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It actually sounds like I might like the TG more from what you said there. I definitely need to hear this for myself though

Incidentally I emailed Chandler to ask about this and they confirmed what you said:

"The TG2 uses the same amplifiers and transformers as the TG1 so has a very
similar sound. That said, what you are asking about is created by the side
chain of the compressor section, so that is only available on the TG1 and Zener"
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So far I have only used my TG2 for loud guitar cabs and overheads - both knobs near noon much of the time. I used the impedance switch with a Samar VL37 on a JCM800 yesterday - loved the track

I need to try it on lead vocals
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I definitely need to hear this for myself....
There are probably better examples out there but I remembered this sample that someone posted of a highly saturated TG2 vocal. Maybe its helpful. Sounds cool.

https://gearspace.com/board/5892137-post6.html
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
500 series TG1 pretty please. triple wide if need be.
Old 23rd March 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use it as my main pres. Synths, guitar and bass di, mics, they all run through the TG2 for the most part.

I rarely saturate it, although it sounds great if that's what you're into. I also rarely mess with the impedance switch.

Overall, I love them. I've considered getting some tube alternatives, but they have plenty of color on their own.
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mostly using it for room mics and obviously guitars... But if you have a Kemper Profiler, it works great to use two mics and let the TG2 do the summing to make some pretty great profiles. Sounds great.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I have quite a few pres... neve 5052s, wunder cobalt, electrodyne 501, pacifica, sphere, neve 511s... the tg2 is my favorite on basically everything. my vocal, guitar, always snare.. it's one of those pieces that I couldn't imagine not having.
Old 28th April 2017
din
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Those who use it on kick and snare, do you ever use the summing feature for top/bottom or front/back (flipping the phase of one channel)? How do you like it?
Old 2nd May 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by din ➑️
Those who use it on kick and snare, do you ever use the summing feature for top/bottom or front/back (flipping the phase of one channel)? How do you like it?
I've used it for top/bottom snare with the summing turned on. It sounds great, but having the summing switch on the back is kind of a PITA. Sometimes the summing switch will randomly get switched on, which usually means about 5 mins of wondering what the f--ck happened before remembering the switch exists on the back. That might be my only complaint on the entire unit.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Please could you guys elaborate on the summing feature?

I'm not really sure what it is
Old 3rd May 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

If I remember correctly, the summing option was a custom feature added by Mercenary Audio (that's where I purchased my TG2). It's basically a toggle on the back of the unit that let's you sum the left and right inputs to the right output, essentially making it a 2 > 1 mixer.

It's a cool feature, but I probably use it less that 10% of the time.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjohnrambo ➑️
If I remember correctly, the summing option was a custom feature added by Mercenary Audio (that's where I purchased my TG2). It's basically a toggle on the back of the unit that let's you sum the left and right inputs to the right output, essentially making it a 2 > 1 mixer.

It's a cool feature, but I probably use it less that 10% of the time.
For early units, the switch was a retro fit added at the back. However, this became a standard feature on all units and moved to the faceplate.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

The summing feature allows you to blend both channel 1 & 2 TG2 preamps together, with the summed signal coming out of channel two's output. The blending is done via the gain switches of each channel, channel two's output controls the mixed output.
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use tg2 all the time. These days mainly on 2bus just to warm things up. Occasionally for Vox and bass if I want a motown type thing. I have used it on gtrs a lot especially the summing feature. When double micing at gtr cab I would find that I would screw with the blend of the mics all day if I had that option. the summing feature made me commit the 2 mics to 1 mono audio track that I could further process. Love this box.
πŸ“ Reply