Quantcast
Mic Preamp for Acoustic Guitar - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic Preamp for Acoustic Guitar
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Mics and pre for Guitar

My favorite mics for acoustic guitar - KM-84, KM-56 or 54, Royer 121. Even Beyer 930s are not too shabby.
For preamps I tend to lean toward my Telefunken V-76s, amazing. The best preamp I ever encountered is a Sonic Lens SL20/20-2. Preserve Your Trusted Sound
Of course that is only if money is no object. The 2 channel version runs for $4,500.00.
Old 9th May 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Do they sell a 1/10th of a channel version?
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My favorite mics for acoustic guitar - KM-84, KM-56 or 54, Royer 121. Even Beyer 930s are not too shabby.
For preamps I tend to lean toward my Telefunken V-76s, amazing. The best preamp I ever encountered is a Sonic Lens SL20/20-2. Google it.
Of course that is only if money is no object. The 2 channel version runs for $4,500.00.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULSHAKER88 ➑️
Is this the Jensen Twin Servo that is spoke of on this thread? If so any more comments on it would be greatly appreciated.
I use John Hardy's version, which is spectacular, but I'm sure there are other great Jensen's pres.
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwleeman ➑️
What mic + mic pre combo would you recommend for recording acoustic guitar ?
Mastering Labs Tube Pre and a SM57, C451EB, KM84, or KM-54, or a Schoepps 221B ( i hear many people use 414s, U87s, U47s, C-12s). I like Neve 1081s too. Anything sounds great on acoustic guitar. i haven't had a preamp sound bad on them.

Soundonsound magazine has a mic shootout with audio clips on their website.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele ➑️
For preamps I tend to lean toward my Telefunken V-76s, amazing. The best preamp I ever encountered is a Sonic Lens SL20/20-2. Google it.
i've heard great things about hte sonic lens. V76s are great too. i'd like to use the royer more. they have a great reputation on guitars (aocustic/and electric)and brass.
Old 12th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reviving thread ...

Did a shoot out today in my studio on this topic. AKG 414EB (over 30 years old still sounds awesome). Telefunken AR51 Tube Mic. Microtech Gefell M300.

Each time I keep coming back to the Gefell. This little SDC nails it ever time.
I also tried many different Mic placements, including one that I had never used before - M300 at the 14th fret 20 cm out and the AR51 tube mic over the shoulder off to the side of my right ear but somewhat in front. Blend to taste.

Over the years I've also had AT4041, 4051 SDC's in addition to above. These are nice mics - very underrated IMHO and do quite well.

Preamps, these days I am leaning clean (SSL SuperAnalogue) as there seem to be many ways to goo it up in the mix (you can't do that the other way around). That said, I do lust after the 2 channel A Designs Tube preamp.

Cdlt
Old 13th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris ➑️
matched stereo pair of Schoeps CMC6 SDC's with the mk41 hyper caps
One of my go-to mics, along with the DPA 4011, recorded through a QES Labs SMP-2 tube stereo preamp.
This combo is just fantastic: abundance of details, still natural sounding.
Check this DPA 4011 shoot-out (with a piano).
Old 21st July 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Mostly about three years since this thread was very active... I wonder where we are at at the moment? Not to ask the 'what's best' question but more along the lines of 'what now'? What are people using for mics/pres for acoustic guitar recording.

(As a secondary question, I was wondering, I would like two 'flavours' of preamps, but in pairs (for stereo)... I wondered if there is much (if any difference) between buying two 500 series modules of a popular 2ch regular rack device? For instance, two P1s instead of one Pacifica?
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Here's some ideas
A designs pacifica and km 84
Pacifica and 1073 u87 and Mojave 200 1176 compressor

I like both
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
great mic pre for acoustic guitar here

get an AVALON AD2022 STEREO PREAMP it really rocks the house...
Old 23rd July 2015
RTG
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I was doing my own version of a shootout with 500 series mic preamps on acoustic guitar. I honestly was quite surprised with the difference each preamp contributed. Within my personal selection, the following observations were found:

Neve Portico 517 - Light, flattering and pleasant. A rack-full of these would easily be utilised (even with or without the silk)
Phoenix DRS 1R 500 - The guitar strings seemed like they had become thicker. Such a strong sound that had nothing to do with any perceived volume differences.
Al.so MP2 - Light and airy. Ethereal. A real welcome and pleasant surprise.
CAPI VP26 - A 1970's album!

Conclusion, any one of these can easily produce a professional result and it is nice to be able to select from them.

Having said that, my last recording utilised a Neumann/Gefell M582 mic into a V72 and it was lovely (in yet another kind of way).

I would much prefer having a few preamps for different flavours than one supposed "best" preamp.
Old 3rd August 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I use a Metric Halo ULN-2 with a pair of Oktavia mk-012 modded by Michael Jolly along with his excellent MJE K47H capsules. My guitar player friends are blown away by these mics! There modded MK-012'a are as good if not better than the KM-184's, I prefer them hands down over the KM -184's. The guy in the video has an AKG-414, and prefers to come to my house and record with the Jolly modded Oktavia's.

I just got a pair of Schoeps CMC64's two weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to using them yet, will do later this week. I'm looking to get the Metric Halo ULM-8 so I can use 4 channels.

Funny no one posted any example of their dream combo's...... but fear not I will. Speaking of the necessity of having a good guitar..... I made the guitar as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uexqUrilFdI
πŸ“ Reply